Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
booked the beef oscar for monday's flagship flight. will post pics inflight.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...13228484_o.jpg

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 19, 2015 at 10:13 pm Reason: Redacted oversized image affecting page rendering
Old Aug 16, 2015, 2:33 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Any recommendations between Sea bass and Beef Oscar on JFK-SFO in business? Thanks
Aren't those two entrees supposed to be transcon F only as part of the new AA menu? Or does it spillover into J too? This is good news
Old Aug 16, 2015, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Aren't those two entrees supposed to be transcon F only as part of the new AA menu? Or does it spillover into J too? This is good news
J menu for Wednesday is the same as F except for the 4th option, the chicken. And the order of course.

Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: US,HH
Had the shrimp and grits on Thursday, and while not a big fan of grits it was surprisingly good. Better than I've had in the past when AA served the same dish.
Omelette on the way home this morning was good. They had a wheat roll or biscuit choice and the roll was really good. It had oatmeal, raisins and a bit of apple in it.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by SFO777
J menu for Wednesday is the same as F except for the 4th option, the chicken. And the order of course.

doesn't F also get an extra cold appetizer (usually salmon or seared tuna or something?)

i originally picked the sea bass but decided to try the beef to see if its gotten any better (or worse).

<redacted>

Maybe i'm easily impressed but i dont see much wrong with the meals or maybe its because i've only started flying first class in the last 3-4 years so im a little more appreciative and don't take things like this for granted.

Coming over from the UA side i'm very impressed with what AA has to offer.

Go ahead, and google UA JFK-LAX trip report and look at the meal quality/presentation. UA was doing so bad with their sub-par product on that route no wonder they're leaving JFK. the old AA is not coming back, and quite honestly why should it? The old AA nearly went bankrupt. AA had to make cost cutting changes across the board to survive. I'm not apologizing for AA but people need to have realistic expectations. Like give AA some credit for actually listening and trying to make changes and improvements. The price difference between a F and a J ticket on a transcon is only $200-$300 which is not that much so you're basically paying extra for the seat and privacy, not the meal. ( as well as flagship privileges )

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 19, 2015 at 9:49 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content and reply
Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: AS 100K
I also came from UA when they were at their worst post-CO merger and got to experience pmAA meal service. It really was head and heels above the other legacy domestic carriers, and a lot of the attention to detail is what made it great. In short, Mr Horton and his team understood what made for a top-notch domestic meal experience.

Hector Adler, on the other hand, downgraded meals and presentation to a level far below the current level of competitors. Him and his team are trying to bring the quality just up to the point where the complaining will become tolerable and the premium paid for first class (either via paid upgrades or buying F) acceptable. That's just plain chintzy.

I think the reason people on this forum obsess over the details is because of that general cheapness, especially in comparison to what pmAA once offered. Adler and company can make improvements on what 11 months ago was a terrible product (even going so far as to bring back some pmAA entrees), but it will never be acceptable to everyone until they thoroughly commit the resources to deliver a thoughtful and consistent premium cabin meal service.

(And, to your point about AA being unprofitable in bankruptcy, Horton implemented the cost-saving measures in bankruptcy which, over time, completely turned the airline around. IIRC, AA's first major profit announcement was posted during Horton's tenure as CEO.)

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
doesn't F also get an extra cold appetizer (usually salmon or seared tuna or something?)

i originally picked the sea bass but decided to try the beef to see if its gotten any better (or worse).

<redacted>

Maybe i'm easily impressed but i dont see much wrong with the meals or maybe its because i've only started flying first class in the last 3-4 years so im a little more appreciative and don't take things like this for granted.

Go ahead, and google UA JFK-LAX trip report and look at the meal quality/presentation. UA was doing so bad with their sub-par product on that route no wonder they're leaving JFK. the old AA is not coming back, and quite honestly why should it? The old AA nearly went bankrupt. AA had to make cost cutting changes across the board to survive. I'm not apologizing for AA but people need to have realistic expectations. Like give AA some credit for actually listening and trying to make changes and improvements. The price difference between a F and a J ticket on a transcon is only $200-$300 which is not that much so you're basically paying extra for the seat and privacy, not the meal. ( as well as flagship privileges )

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 19, 2015 at 9:51 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
I also came from UA when they were at their worst post-CO merger and got to experience pmAA meal service. It really was head and heels above the other legacy domestic carriers, and a lot of the attention to detail is what made it great. In short, Mr Horton and his team understood what made for a top-notch domestic meal experience.

Hector Adler, on the other hand, downgraded meals and presentation to a level far below the current level of competitors. Him and his team are trying to bring the quality just up to the point where the complaining will become tolerable and the premium paid for first class (either via paid upgrades or buying F) acceptable. That's just plain chintzy.

I think the reason people on this forum obsess over the details is because of that general cheapness, especially in comparison to what pmAA once offered. Adler and company can make improvements on what 11 months ago was a terrible product (even going so far as to bring back some pmAA entrees), but it will never be acceptable to everyone until they thoroughly commit the resources to deliver a thoughtful and consistent premium cabin meal service.

(And, to your point about AA being unprofitable in bankruptcy, Horton implemented the cost-saving measures in bankruptcy which, over time, completely turned the airline around. IIRC, AA's first major profit announcement was posted during Horton's tenure as CEO.)
I think this sums it up very clearly.

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
<redacted>

You're comparing premium transcon products which I'm not really talking about. Yeah, the premium transcon table set up, china, presentation, etc. is acceptable. Yes, AA's premium transcon product beats the pants off of UA's (and of course you failed to mention the other players in the market such as DL, B6, and VX), I don't need to Google anyone else's TRs to know that. This is probably less than 1% of AA's daily flights though. For the rest of us who are subjected to standard domestic F, it's a very different situation.

I'll skim over the factual inaccuracies about bankruptcy and those matters as that really isn't relevant to this thread, but suffice to say AA's pre-merger on board product is not what drove the airline into bankruptcy, there were far more complex issues at play there. Also, keep in mind that every other went through one or more bankruptcies 10+ years before AA did.

If the company expects me to pay a premium for what is marketed as a premium product, then they'd better make darn well sure that what I receive what I'm paying for. At the moment, that is not the case. The pmAA product was a very realistc expectation to have about what should be offered on board. I'm not expecting to see a product equivalent to what is offered in F, J, or even W on some of the good airlines out there, but the standard that was set by pmAA for domestic meals really should be the norm. This not only includes quality and presentation, but also quantity, meal windows, differentiation of midcon and standard transcon flights, rotations, definition of a snack service, etc.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 19, 2015 at 9:52 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Aug 16, 2015, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
If the company expects me to pay a premium for what is marketed as a premium product, then they'd better make darn well sure that what I receive what I'm paying for. At the moment, that is not the case.
What are your alternatives? Save for AS, whose food (but not presentation) I'd say is a little better than AA, there isn't really a domestic alternative that's going to knock your socks off. And if a loyalty program means anything to you, AA (or again, AS) is your winner.

My point is, there's no product in the domestic market that would cause AA to need to compete. About the only thing that might is the possibility that enhanced meal service will sell more F seats, rather than filling it with upgraders.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:10 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
US 569 RDU-LAX 0700-0928 A-319

Full PDB

Choice of oatmeal or the egg quiche which are the same choices I had last week on RDU-ORD, a route one-quarter the length

Snack basket before landing and lots of refills in flight at least.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:14 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
US 509 LAX-RDU 2130-0534 (+1) A-319

Full PDB

There was a fruit and cheese plate after takeoff that I slept through.

Continental breakfast box before landing. They offered drinks with it too. It wasn't bad (somewhat like what a coach meal on an US-Europe flight should be) though my yogurt was frozen.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Ok, back on topic, this thread is about domestic meals.

~Moderator
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
US 569 RDU-LAX 0700-0928 A-319

Full PDB

Choice of oatmeal or the egg quiche which are the same choices I had last week on RDU-ORD, a route one-quarter the length

Snack basket before landing and lots of refills in flight at least.
Originally Posted by CMK10
US 509 LAX-RDU 2130-0534 (+1) A-319

Full PDB

There was a fruit and cheese plate after takeoff that I slept through.

Continental breakfast box before landing. They offered drinks with it too. It wasn't bad (somewhat like what a coach meal on an US-Europe flight should be) though my yogurt was frozen.
I see we're still working through the plastic sugar cups and packaged, dried fruit for the oatmeal. It's too bad that transcon doesn't see some sort of upgraded offering.

The breakfast box looks pretty bad to me though. Could they not at least offer a fruit plate with some warm pastries or croissants or something? That would match the 'continental' description a bit better than nut mix and a plastic wrapped croissant.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I see we're still working through the plastic sugar cups and packaged, dried fruit for the oatmeal. It's too bad that transcon doesn't see some sort of upgraded offering.

The breakfast box looks pretty bad to me though. Could they not at least offer a fruit plate with some warm pastries or croissants or something? That would match the 'continental' description a bit better than nut mix and a plastic wrapped croissant.
They could, but I've found on a couple of my recent red-eyes that most folks would simply rather sleep until the plane lands rather than eat. At what is maybe 4 hours in the air, I value zzzs more than a croissant or fruit. That I can get at the AC after the plane lands.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
They could, but I've found on a couple of my recent red-eyes that most folks would simply rather sleep until the plane lands rather than eat. At what is maybe 4 hours in the air, I value zzzs more than a croissant or fruit. That I can get at the AC after the plane lands.
On an aircraft with recliners/angle-flats/lie-flats I agree. In that case I'll do what I can to sleep until just before landing. However on a 737 or Airbus with 38" pitch domestic F seats with minimal recline, I find it extremely difficult to get any kind of meaningful sleep, and in that instance it would be nice to arrive at least somewhat refreshed and energized.

There are plenty of people who do not have the time, ability, or desire to access an Admirals Club upon arrival and in that instance it would be nice if the hospitality component of the product could be accomplished on the aircraft.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:08 am

Isn't this just the standard pmUS breakfast box that was given for redeyes? (And to your point, yes it is bad, almost as bad as the Caribbean-origin AA breakfasts)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.