Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
HNL-DFW
AA 8
Ancient 767-300
5:40P-6:20A +1
July 31, 2015
"Dinner" and Continental Breakfast

And what is that yellow stuff? Orange ginger vinaigrette? Not very vinaigrette looking. No chance I was going to try that part.

That is the most interesting salad I've ever seen in my 37 years of flying. I just lost my appetite for lunch after seeing those pictures.

Federal prisons probably serve better salads than that pink stuff.

I think you have a good case for compensation from AA. Emotional trauma from scary-
looking salad or something like that. Glad that you didn't eat it!

It looks so awful, I had no choice to blur it out like this:

Last edited by SquareRainbow; Aug 1, 2015 at 11:22 am
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:47 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
The order of service has me thoroughly confused. I thought it would make sense like FEBO, but on our Eastbound odd numbered flight the service started from the front.

On the Westbound even numbered leg, the service started from the back.

This was a US Airways flight so I dont know if this is a US Airways thing or an AA thing.

Anyone have more experience in this?

Last edited by SpaceCoastBill; Aug 1, 2015 at 3:04 pm
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
The order of service has me thoroughly confused. I thought it would make sense like FEBO, but on our Eastbound odd numbered flight the service started from the front.

On the Westbound even numbered leg, the service started from the back.

This was a US Airways flight so I dont know if this is a US Airways thing or an AA thing.

Anyone have more experience in this?
Once meals were 'harmonized' meal orders started being taken based on direction of flight (North/South or East/West). FEBO is technically no longer in use, but in my experience it varies widely.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by cmd320
Once meals were 'harmonized' meal orders started being taken based on direction of flight (North/South or East/West). FEBO is technically no longer in use, but in my experience it varies widely.
OK, so they have adopted an front if eastbound and rear if westbound philosophy?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat United Premier Silver Hilton Diamond Marriott Gold
because airplane vanilla ice cream ever has any taste...

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 1, 2015 at 5:59 pm Reason: Redacted duplicated post with several photos - please don't dupe photos
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:38 pm

Because we cannot see the menu selections when on US Airways, can someone post the current lunch menu (CLT-PHX)?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Time and time again I've seen FAs eat unused meals-and not that I blame them, unlike pilots meals are not provided to them so why let something go to waste.
maybe not so much since September 1st ...
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Almost to the end of 8/1. Anyone have any improved meals to share?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO777
[B]HNL-DFW
AA 8
Ancient 767-300

And with no old menus to go around, a photocopy will have to do.

The photocopied menu is perhaps the saddest thing I've seen on this thread.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by AAEmpireState
The photocopied menu is perhaps the saddest thing I've seen on this thread.
Well, to their credit, they tried. It's better than not distributing a menu at all. Stuff happens, printers go AWOL, and it's not a big deal in my mind IMHO.

If this is the status quo moving forward (scanned menus instead of proper ones), then we can worry.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Well, to their credit, they tried. It's better than not distributing a menu at all. Stuff happens, printers go AWOL, and it's not a big deal in my mind IMHO.
No printer went AWOL. A different menu was planned but HNL catering either didn't get the new menu memo or they just decided to clean out the freezer before moving on to it.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by FWAAA
..In years past, when AA offered a substantial snack for transcon redeye passengers (LAX-JFK), there were flights where only several business class passengers (out of 30) would eat the snack, leaving lots of food to be tossed upon arrival at JFK even after the FAs scavenged their fill.
So where was a time where AA FAs were more similar in appearance to UA FAs ?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
"South" seems to be the keyword on my flight tonight. More precisely, Southern cuisine. Grits!

Was on the A321 again.(US metal) Seat 1A. The flight was scheduled for 3 hours 5 minutes.

3 glasses of red wine that I've never heard of. 1st "glassed" served in plastic cup during boarding. the other 2 served in real glasses with dinner

Salad with three strips of bell peppers

3 slices of cold cut beef with mystery dressing, accompanied by 3 pieces of diced zucchini and 1 cherry tomato.

Entree: 6 pieces of grilled shrimp with Cajun seasoning, served next to a bed of grits(!)

(the other entree option was lasagna... but I'm not Garfield, so I chose the shrimps)

No bread was served, but there a small Land O Lakes butter(not sure why)

Dessert: vanilla ice cream with 5 pieces of crushed almonds on top

It was very tasty and filling. Never had grits in my entire life, so it was interesting.

I do wonder why the flight attendant put the ice cream on the tray at the same time. Mine was half melted by the time I finished my food. It was down to the consistency of milk shake, so I drank it.

(photo coming later because I'm still in the taxi)

Last edited by SquareRainbow; Aug 1, 2015 at 9:57 pm
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by SquareRainbow
[
No bread was served, but there a small Land O Lakes butter(not sure why)
Pick one:

1. FA forgot to serve the bread
2. FA couldn't find the bread
3. Catering forgot to load the bread

Serving ice cream on the tray at once is really inexcusable
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Pick one:

1. FA forgot to serve the bread
2. FA couldn't find the bread
3. Catering forgot to load the bread

Serving ice cream on the tray at once is really inexcusable
or maybe this?
4. Paulie Gualtieri's mother and her friends put all the breads in their purses? (Paulie from the Sopranos family)
video, in case nobody know what I'm talking about:

When I was a kid, I wanted to skip meals and eat nothing but ice cream. My stepmom gave me a severe beating and I learned my lesson.

I guess AA/US was just trying to make my wish come true. I should have finished the ice cream BEFORE starting my dinner!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.