Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The 10% mileage rebate (to a maximum of 10,000 miles per card per year) is ending 1 May 2019.

FAQ: Holders of certain Citi and Barclays cards receive a 10% miles rebate on awards

Q. What are the basic contours of the AA 10% rebate on miles redemptions?
A. Holders of certain "open and active" credit cards issued by Citibank and Barclays are eligible for a 10% rebate (up to 10,000 miles per calendar year) on award redemptions. Having more than one qualifying card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate (no "double dipping").
Which Citibank credit cards qualify for this benefit?
The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or other Citi Business cards.
Q. Which Barclays credit cards qualify for this benefit?
A. The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Barclays-issued cards:
  • AA Aviator Red
  • AA Aviator Silver
  • US Airways Premier World (no longer issued)
It does not apply to the Aviator or Aviator Blue cards.
Q. So if I have a qualifying Citibank card and and qualifying Barclays card, will I get double the rebate?
A. No. As stated above, having more than one qualifying card does not increase your rebate.

Note that if you have at least one qualifying Citi card and at least one qualifying Barclays card, your rebate will be processed as two separate transactions with half attributed to each card. (For example, if you redeem 40,000 miles, you will see two separate AA mileage credits of 2,000 miles.)
Q. How soon should I receive the rebate?
A. In most cases, the rebate posts within minutes after processing of an award redemption. On your AA transaction details it will show a 10% deposit on the same line as the mileage redemption, so it's all in one place.
Q. What if I redeem miles now for an award flight next year?
A. For purposes of the 10,000-mile annual rebate cap, the date that matters is the date the award is issued, not the date on which the award will be used.
Q. Do I have to use my AA card to pay any taxes/fees in order to receive the rebate?
A. No. You do not have to pay with your AA card.
Q. Does the rebate apply to AA partner flights?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book an award for someone else?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book a Citi/Barclays Reduced Miles Award?
Q. What happens if I claim an award, get the rebate but later cancel the award?
A. The rebated miles for an award that is canceled will be "clawed back" by the card issuer.
Q. What happens if I'm short a few miles for my award, but the rebate would fulfill the miles needed when applied?
A. Nothing. This is a rebate. The miles are rebated (soon) after you secure the award, not before or during.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by rpsandiego
I just applied for a Barclay card yesterday and I was instantly approved. I still have 100k+ Aadvantage miles I'd like to book to use the 10% rebate by end of the year. Do I have to wait to activate the card for my account to be eligible or can I already make a reservation & get the rebate right away? I can put some reservations on hold to make sure the seats don't go away...
Closest I got to using miles after activating and getting the rebate was about a 1 month gap. Worked like a charm, miles posted back within a few hours of the award booking.

After logging into to AA.com with your FF#, look the blue panel on the left with your mileage total. If you have the AA Barclays card or the AA Citi card, it will display that it is tied to your FF account with the specific card listed. If you have both cards, it will just say "AAdvantage cardmember". I would think that is a good indication that your barclays card (and its benefits) are tied to your AA account at that point.

Language on Barclays site:
" The AAdvantage® bonus miles the primary cardmember earns through this benefit will be based on 10% of the total AAdvantage® miles the primary cardmember redeems during the calendar year, regardless of whether the redeemed AAdvantage® miles were earned through the Account. The maximum number of AAdvantage® bonus miles that can be earned annually from this benefit is 10,000 bonus miles per calendar year and per AAdvantage® account, regardless of how many total AAdvantage® miles you redeem in that calendar year, and regardless of how many AAdvantage® co-branded credit cards you have. This benefit only applies to AAdvantage® miles redeemed from the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account. For this benefit to apply, your Account must be open and active at the time of redemption. Discover all the ways to redeem AAdvantage® miles at aa.com/redeem. AAdvantage® bonus miles typically post 6-8 weeks after your redemption to the primary cardmember’s AAdvantage® account "
rpsandiego likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Thanks!

Thanks jtav559. I saw the status say, "AAdvantage® Aviator™ cardmember". I'll go ahead and book.

Originally Posted by jtav559
Closest I got to using miles after activating and getting the rebate was about a 1 month gap. Worked like a charm, miles posted back within a few hours of the award booking.

After logging into to AA.com with your FF#, look the blue panel on the left with your mileage total. If you have the AA Barclays card or the AA Citi card, it will display that it is tied to your FF account with the specific card listed. If you have both cards, it will just say "AAdvantage cardmember". I would think that is a good indication that your barclays card (and its benefits) are tied to your AA account at that point.

Language on Barclays site:
" The AAdvantage® bonus miles the primary cardmember earns through this benefit will be based on 10% of the total AAdvantage® miles the primary cardmember redeems during the calendar year, regardless of whether the redeemed AAdvantage® miles were earned through the Account. The maximum number of AAdvantage® bonus miles that can be earned annually from this benefit is 10,000 bonus miles per calendar year and per AAdvantage® account, regardless of how many total AAdvantage® miles you redeem in that calendar year, and regardless of how many AAdvantage® co-branded credit cards you have. This benefit only applies to AAdvantage® miles redeemed from the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account. For this benefit to apply, your Account must be open and active at the time of redemption. Discover all the ways to redeem AAdvantage® miles at aa.com/redeem. AAdvantage® bonus miles typically post 6-8 weeks after your redemption to the primary cardmember’s AAdvantage® account "
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:57 am

Citi AA cards 10% rebate on partner redemption

Does the 10% miles rebate work on partner redemption too? I have one of the Citi Advantage Card
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Yes. Subject to the same annual cap. (So if you are on CX J RT to HKG, you will only get 10k miles back, for example)
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:11 pm

Just got burned by a mileage clawback upgrading from J to F on a TATL (57.5k to 85k). My wife's account stated she had just over 12,500 miles in it so I paid the $200 fee to transfer 15,000 miles from my account to hers. Called in to upgrade and the CSR confirmed everything was correct. Randomly saw today that she had 79,000 miles in her account and knew something was wrong.

Called in and reservations told me she was short 5,750 miles because she has a Citi AA card and 10% of the miles were clawed back when they redeposited the miles. Supervisor told me to file a complaint or reach out to customer service, but they were strictly reservations and nothing they could do.

I wouldn't have an issue with this if not for the fact that I paid $200 to transfer miles based on the information American presented to me both on their website and over the phone.

Ticket is a mix of BA/AA and I'm guessing the delay in ticketing due to it being a partner award is what caused the issue since it appears people in the past were able redeposit and upgrade.

Any recommendations on how to proceed other than to just reach out to AA customer service?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Has this card (Citi AA Platinum MC) stopped annual 10% mileage credit for miles redemption? I don't see that in any of hte footnotes / benefits information on the landing page!
Old May 13, 2018, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by fromfall98
Has this card (Citi AA Platinum MC) stopped annual 10% mileage credit for miles redemption? I don't see that in any of hte footnotes / benefits information on the landing page!
I also did not see this benefit listed .a phone agent informed me that it is not part of the current offer .
Old May 13, 2018, 8:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
It is still listed as a benefit when looking at the table on AA.com

https://secure.fly.aa.com/citi/ecm/c...ntage-platinum

Not sure if the other landing page links posted by others contain the language.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
According to the blogosphere (https://theshortfinal.com/heads-up-c...-miles-rebate/) the 10% redemption has been discontinued for new Citi cardholders. It is unclear if going away for current ones - although they seem to feel it is a goner as of July 22
Old May 23, 2018, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
According to the blogosphere (https://theshortfinal.com/heads-up-c...-miles-rebate/) the 10% redemption has been discontinued for new Citi cardholders. It is unclear if going away for current ones - although they seem to feel it is a goner as of July 22
Color me skeptical that this one rather murky data point tells us anything.
Old May 23, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by beltway
Color me skeptical that this one rather murky data point tells us anything.
Especially since the source has since been corrected to say the benefit still exists.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
As others have pointed out, false alarm. From that same page:

FINAL UPDATE: American Airlines reached out this afternoon to clarify that the 10% miles rebate is STILL a benefit of the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Credit Card and there are no plans to remove it at this time.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:09 am

Question regarding the 10% rebate from Citi AA card

If I make a booking for 60K miles and receive 6K back because of the 10% discount as a Citi AA card holder, then I cancel the booking, the 60K get redeposited back to my acct and the 6K rebate is taken back.

Now the question is, will I still have the entire annual 10K rebate cap to use, or the cap is down to 4K at this point?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by adobe
If I make a booking for 60K miles and receive 6K back because of the 10% discount as a Citi AA card holder, then I cancel the booking, the 60K get redeposited back to my acct and the 6K rebate is taken back.

Now the question is, will I still have the entire annual 10K rebate cap to use, or the cap is down to 4K at this point?
You will have entire 10K rebate cap to use. Have had to cancel award ticket a few times and each time, rebate worked just as one would expect, meaning earlier rebate was clawed back, new rebate applied with 10K limit overall.

Cheers!
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Received 7,000 mile rebate after booking One-Way Partner Award

So I booked a ORD-DOH-MLE one-way in J for 70,000 miles on QR but when I looked in my account, they gave me back 7,000 miles as a "bonus" so the award was 63,000 miles. I know you can get credit card reduced mileage awards but have not heard of this with partners. What did I miss because this seems like a great deal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.