Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The 10% mileage rebate (to a maximum of 10,000 miles per card per year) is ending 1 May 2019.

FAQ: Holders of certain Citi and Barclays cards receive a 10% miles rebate on awards

Q. What are the basic contours of the AA 10% rebate on miles redemptions?
A. Holders of certain "open and active" credit cards issued by Citibank and Barclays are eligible for a 10% rebate (up to 10,000 miles per calendar year) on award redemptions. Having more than one qualifying card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate (no "double dipping").
Which Citibank credit cards qualify for this benefit?
The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or other Citi Business cards.
Q. Which Barclays credit cards qualify for this benefit?
A. The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Barclays-issued cards:
  • AA Aviator Red
  • AA Aviator Silver
  • US Airways Premier World (no longer issued)
It does not apply to the Aviator or Aviator Blue cards.
Q. So if I have a qualifying Citibank card and and qualifying Barclays card, will I get double the rebate?
A. No. As stated above, having more than one qualifying card does not increase your rebate.

Note that if you have at least one qualifying Citi card and at least one qualifying Barclays card, your rebate will be processed as two separate transactions with half attributed to each card. (For example, if you redeem 40,000 miles, you will see two separate AA mileage credits of 2,000 miles.)
Q. How soon should I receive the rebate?
A. In most cases, the rebate posts within minutes after processing of an award redemption. On your AA transaction details it will show a 10% deposit on the same line as the mileage redemption, so it's all in one place.
Q. What if I redeem miles now for an award flight next year?
A. For purposes of the 10,000-mile annual rebate cap, the date that matters is the date the award is issued, not the date on which the award will be used.
Q. Do I have to use my AA card to pay any taxes/fees in order to receive the rebate?
A. No. You do not have to pay with your AA card.
Q. Does the rebate apply to AA partner flights?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book an award for someone else?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book a Citi/Barclays Reduced Miles Award?
Q. What happens if I claim an award, get the rebate but later cancel the award?
A. The rebated miles for an award that is canceled will be "clawed back" by the card issuer.
Q. What happens if I'm short a few miles for my award, but the rebate would fulfill the miles needed when applied?
A. Nothing. This is a rebate. The miles are rebated (soon) after you secure the award, not before or during.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:02 am

Sorry, was looking in the wrong place, yes I got credited on my AA account, I was just looking at the balance and thought they didn't give it to me
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:42 am

Does the bonus count towards the limit for the year when the booking was made, rather than the year of travel? I made a booking in 2017 for travel September 2018 (120K for 2 TATL RTs), then just before departure needed to change it, first to a trip with the same number of miles, then we made the outbound an AAnytime at 45K per person. The way it shows on my activity is confusing, but in the main display the Bonus Miles column says minus 26,000 on the Award Redeposit line and 36,000 on the Award line. Would this mean this all applied to the 10K limit for 2017, and nothing's been credited for 2018 for the extra AAnytime miles?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
It's based on the date that the miles are withdrawn from your AAdvantage account.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
10% rebate using Barclay Aviator Red card question

I thought your 10% rebate was a max of 10000 miles per calendar year. Just got off the phone with a Barclay card rep who said you get the rebate every time with no limits of any kind. Was she right? I've been waiting till the first of the year to book a trip to Hawaii
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by shanna135
I thought your 10% rebate was a max of 10000 miles per calendar year. Just got off the phone with a Barclay card rep who said you get the rebate every time with no limits of any kind. Was she right? I've been waiting till the first of the year to book a trip to Hawaii
Of course she wasn't correct, just another case of an ill-trained CSR. The 10k max rebate per year is clearly documented in the Aviator Red T&C's.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:24 am

does the 10% work only if the cardholder is one of the passengers ticketed?
I redeemed for a relative and got no rebate, but should have (and had not maxed out the 10k miles rebate potential for 2018)
other redemptions in 2018 that I did when I was included in the PNR did give a rebate.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
does the 10% work only if the cardholder is one of the passengers ticketed?
I redeemed for a relative and got no rebate, but should have (and had not maxed out the 10k miles rebate potential for 2018)
other redemptions in 2018 that I did when I was included in the PNR did give a rebate.
It works for any award redemption that is taken from your account. Does not matter who the passenger is.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Anyone know if the 10% rebate is available to new cardmembers? I don't see it for either Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select or AAdvantage Aviator red cards.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is once per calendar year right? Or is it once or 365 days?

I got my Citi AA card in December and booked an award. I got a 10k rebate. If I book another award in January do I get another rebate?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This is once per calendar year right? Or is it once or 365 days?

I got my Citi AA card in December and booked an award. I got a 10k rebate. If I book another award in January do I get another rebate?
The benefit is per calendar year so you will get it again if booking an award in 2019.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP
I see reports of ticket cancellations restoring and not restoring the 10% rebate used. Can someone who has changed or cancelled recently tell me if the a new award was able to use the restored rebate?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:12 pm

According to DoC, this benefit is being eliminated on Barclays cards. Unsure about Citi cards.
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barcl...being-removed/
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by nall
According to DoC, this benefit is being eliminated on Barclays cards. Unsure about Citi cards.
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barcl...being-removed/
Welp.

Both the DW & I have kept ours for years, even through the past year or two of having to pay the AF when Barclays won't waive it. Between the 10% rebate, one free domestic checked bag, and the 10K anniversary miles, the card was easily worth $89/annum.

Losing the 10% rebate breaks the value proposition for us. A companion coupon is an iffy benefit at best, since I have plenty of miles & almost never book AA revenue tix.

If I'm paying an annual fee anyway, I might as well just sign up for a Citi AA business card once a year, earn a sign-up bonus, and get the checked-bag benefit. Citi mailers are dime a dozen in our household, so even if Citi follows suit & likewise ditches the rebate, we're better off slow-churning that card than holding the devalued Barclays card.
nwflyboy likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
If I'm paying an annual fee anyway, I might as well just sign up for a Citi AA business card once a year, earn a sign-up bonus, and get the checked-bag benefit.
If you sign up for one every year you won't have to pay an annual fee (waived first year fee is standard on the Citi cards, at least currently -- it's on every offer I've ever seen)
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If you sign up for one every year you won't have to pay an annual fee (waived first year fee is standard on the Citi cards, at least currently -- it's on every offer I've ever seen)
You may be right. I was recalling, or perhaps misrecalling, that Citi had switched it up & started charging for the first year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.