Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The 10% mileage rebate (to a maximum of 10,000 miles per card per year) is ending 1 May 2019.

FAQ: Holders of certain Citi and Barclays cards receive a 10% miles rebate on awards

Q. What are the basic contours of the AA 10% rebate on miles redemptions?
A. Holders of certain "open and active" credit cards issued by Citibank and Barclays are eligible for a 10% rebate (up to 10,000 miles per calendar year) on award redemptions. Having more than one qualifying card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate (no "double dipping").
Which Citibank credit cards qualify for this benefit?
The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or other Citi Business cards.
Q. Which Barclays credit cards qualify for this benefit?
A. The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Barclays-issued cards:
  • AA Aviator Red
  • AA Aviator Silver
  • US Airways Premier World (no longer issued)
It does not apply to the Aviator or Aviator Blue cards.
Q. So if I have a qualifying Citibank card and and qualifying Barclays card, will I get double the rebate?
A. No. As stated above, having more than one qualifying card does not increase your rebate.

Note that if you have at least one qualifying Citi card and at least one qualifying Barclays card, your rebate will be processed as two separate transactions with half attributed to each card. (For example, if you redeem 40,000 miles, you will see two separate AA mileage credits of 2,000 miles.)
Q. How soon should I receive the rebate?
A. In most cases, the rebate posts within minutes after processing of an award redemption. On your AA transaction details it will show a 10% deposit on the same line as the mileage redemption, so it's all in one place.
Q. What if I redeem miles now for an award flight next year?
A. For purposes of the 10,000-mile annual rebate cap, the date that matters is the date the award is issued, not the date on which the award will be used.
Q. Do I have to use my AA card to pay any taxes/fees in order to receive the rebate?
A. No. You do not have to pay with your AA card.
Q. Does the rebate apply to AA partner flights?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book an award for someone else?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book a Citi/Barclays Reduced Miles Award?
Q. What happens if I claim an award, get the rebate but later cancel the award?
A. The rebated miles for an award that is canceled will be "clawed back" by the card issuer.
Q. What happens if I'm short a few miles for my award, but the rebate would fulfill the miles needed when applied?
A. Nothing. This is a rebate. The miles are rebated (soon) after you secure the award, not before or during.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:16 am

My rebate hasn't posted 7 days after ticketing completed. It used to appear within a day. Is this delay now normal?

I used a Ritz Visa this time to pay the tax instead of Citi, but in the past I'm sure I didn't have a problem using a different card like Chase CSR.

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
Barclays has similar language, if you have their business and personal card you still can only get a max of 10k back total.
​​​​​​I know this post is old, but are you implying the Barclays business Aviator card has the 10% rebate benefit? I actually have that card, but have not see that benefit listed.

Last edited by rrgg; Sep 14, 2018 at 9:27 am
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
How soon after card approval can I make a booking and get the rebate? Do I need to have received the card in the mail and activated it? Or can I do it right away?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Yes , first you need to activate the CC so you can charge the taxes & fees for your ticket.
The mileage credit will post soon thereafter.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:17 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Paiteaw
Yes , first you need to activate the CC so you can charge the taxes & fees for your ticket.
The mileage credit will post soon thereafter.
There's no need to charge the taxes and fees for my award ticket to the relevant Citi card to receive a rebate. This was true as recently as this past Wednesday when my last rebate posted after using my CSP for taxes and fees, still got the refund immediately.
mpeterson78 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: UA/AA
Perhaps this is because you already have a pre-existing active AA affiliated CC ?
Why would a "cardholder" benefit be given to a customer without an active Citi or Barclay's AA CC?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Paiteaw
Perhaps this is because you already have a pre-existing active AA affiliated CC ?
Why would a "cardholder" benefit be given to a customer without an active Citi or Barclay's AA CC?
No one said that you get the rebate without having a qualifying credit card associated with your AAdvantage account. What was said is that if you have a qualifying credit card associated with your AAdvantage account, you do not have to charge the taxes/fees of an award redemption to that credit card in order to get the rebate -- or the free checked bag on domestic flights, for that matter.
mpeterson78 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:14 pm

Is 10% mileage rebate still in effect?

when using world elite master card?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:22 pm

Yes it is.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Yes it is.
booked a flight I took Oct 30, for 20k miles, no rebate, not a big deal, but may book a 70k flight, don't know if you call citi card or aadvantage. I know it says takes 6-8 weeks but heard usually takes alot less
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:53 am

Are you sure you have a card that actually offers this benefit? The rebate will show up alongside the award deduction once the award is ticketed.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:28 am

Are e sure that u haven’t already received the benefit for this year?

Originally Posted by bernyx
booked a flight I took Oct 30, for 20k miles, no rebate, not a big deal, but may book a 70k flight, don't know if you call citi card or aadvantage. I know it says takes 6-8 weeks but heard usually takes alot less
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by 777lover
Are e sure that u haven’t already received the benefit for this year?

no I didn't
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA lifetime plat 2.5 million
Originally Posted by bernyx
no I didn't
I reached the limit for this year. You only can get 10,000 miles back. When I did a 57,500 mile buy for 11/25, I only received 775 miles instead of 5750.
Also, as was stated earlier, be sure that your card offers the benefit. When I upgraded my citibank card, I noticed that the highest level card offered global entry rebate but no 10% mileage return.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You stated in your original post "world elite master card", which is somewhat vague. To get the 10% rebate, you need to have the Citi Advantage Platinum Select, AA Barclays Red, AA Barclays Silver.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by solewalker
You stated in your original post "world elite master card", which is somewhat vague. To get the 10% rebate, you need to have the Citi Advantage Platinum Select, AA Barclays Red, AA Barclays Silver.
yep citibank platinum select world elite mastercard. Can't even find how to send a secure message, could only read them, nobody on chat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.