Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The 10% mileage rebate (to a maximum of 10,000 miles per card per year) is ending 1 May 2019.

FAQ: Holders of certain Citi and Barclays cards receive a 10% miles rebate on awards

Q. What are the basic contours of the AA 10% rebate on miles redemptions?
A. Holders of certain "open and active" credit cards issued by Citibank and Barclays are eligible for a 10% rebate (up to 10,000 miles per calendar year) on award redemptions. Having more than one qualifying card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate (no "double dipping").
Which Citibank credit cards qualify for this benefit?
The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or other Citi Business cards.
Q. Which Barclays credit cards qualify for this benefit?
A. The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Barclays-issued cards:
  • AA Aviator Red
  • AA Aviator Silver
  • US Airways Premier World (no longer issued)
It does not apply to the Aviator or Aviator Blue cards.
Q. So if I have a qualifying Citibank card and and qualifying Barclays card, will I get double the rebate?
A. No. As stated above, having more than one qualifying card does not increase your rebate.

Note that if you have at least one qualifying Citi card and at least one qualifying Barclays card, your rebate will be processed as two separate transactions with half attributed to each card. (For example, if you redeem 40,000 miles, you will see two separate AA mileage credits of 2,000 miles.)
Q. How soon should I receive the rebate?
A. In most cases, the rebate posts within minutes after processing of an award redemption. On your AA transaction details it will show a 10% deposit on the same line as the mileage redemption, so it's all in one place.
Q. What if I redeem miles now for an award flight next year?
A. For purposes of the 10,000-mile annual rebate cap, the date that matters is the date the award is issued, not the date on which the award will be used.
Q. Do I have to use my AA card to pay any taxes/fees in order to receive the rebate?
A. No. You do not have to pay with your AA card.
Q. Does the rebate apply to AA partner flights?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book an award for someone else?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book a Citi/Barclays Reduced Miles Award?
Q. What happens if I claim an award, get the rebate but later cancel the award?
A. The rebated miles for an award that is canceled will be "clawed back" by the card issuer.
Q. What happens if I'm short a few miles for my award, but the rebate would fulfill the miles needed when applied?
A. Nothing. This is a rebate. The miles are rebated (soon) after you secure the award, not before or during.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: Hilton Dmd; AA Gld
If you have a qualifying credit card, which it seems you do, you get a 10% redemption bonus on miles used. This is hard capped at 10k/year, regardless of how many cards you have.
MCI777 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:21 am

If you look in your pocket, you will find a [Citi] credit card that gives you back 10% of the miles used per year up to 10,000 miles.
ijgordon, MCI777 and Beltway2A like this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ACSBill
If you have a qualifying credit card, which it seems you do, you get a 10% redemption bonus on miles used. This is hard capped at 10k/year, regardless of how many cards you have.
I must have missed the fine print that this applied to partner awards as well. This is great news!!!
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by MCI777
I must have missed the fine print that this applied to partner awards as well. This is great news!!!
FWIW this also applies to mileage upgrade.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
FWIW this also applies to mileage upgrade.
I missed the boat on this completely. This would have come in handy last year for a J-F upgrade on LAX-JFK.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by MCI777
So I booked a ORD-DOH-MLE one-way in J for 70,000 miles on QR but when I looked in my account, they gave me back 7,000 miles as a "bonus" so the award was 63,000 miles. I know you can get credit card reduced mileage awards but have not heard of this with partners. What did I miss because this seems like a great deal?
More surprising is the fact that you were able to find and book this on QR in J!
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by laagima
More surprising is the fact that you were able to find and book this on QR in J!
I've had 100% luck with QR in J. I can't say the same for other partners unfortunately.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:50 am

I am seeing a fair amount of availability on ORD-DOH in J, even on Fri/Sat/Sun (some, NOT all days). In the past, I have boarded QR to find several empty J seats but no awards were ever released. ORD-HKG on CX is showing up as well (330 days out).
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:51 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
If you look in your pocket, you will find a [Citi] credit card that gives you back 10% of the miles used per year up to 10,000 miles.
The AA Barclay card gets you the same 10% rebate.

If you have both Citi and Barclay cards then you get 5% and another 5% posted (total: 10% up to 10K)
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:59 pm

I got the same 10% when I booked 2 one-ways to Hawaii on Alaska.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Dmd; AA Gld
Originally Posted by dougfoglesong
I got the same 10% when I booked 2 one-ways to Hawaii on Alaska.
It is for any redemption of miles out of your AAdvantage account. If you use miles to pay for an AC membership, get 10% back. Same for upgrades and award tickets.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Maybe the OP has the Barclay card.
The latest info from Citi about the World Select World Elite Platinum card (came in the mail today) is missing any mention of the 10% rebate. It looks like it's going away as of Sept.1, 2018.
On the other hand, Citi appears to have replaced the 10% rebate with a paltry $100 coupon after spending $20K. jeez

Last edited by billgrates3; Aug 3, 2018 at 11:36 pm
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
Just got burned by a mileage clawback upgrading from J to F on a TATL (57.5k to 85k). My wife's account stated she had just over 12,500 miles in it so I paid the $200 fee to transfer 15,000 miles from my account to hers. Called in to upgrade and the CSR confirmed everything was correct. Randomly saw today that she had 79,000 miles in her account and knew something was wrong.

Called in and reservations told me she was short 5,750 miles because she has a Citi AA card and 10% of the miles were clawed back when they redeposited the miles. Supervisor told me to file a complaint or reach out to customer service, but they were strictly reservations and nothing they could do.

I wouldn't have an issue with this if not for the fact that I paid $200 to transfer miles based on the information American presented to me both on their website and over the phone.

Ticket is a mix of BA/AA and I'm guessing the delay in ticketing due to it being a partner award is what caused the issue since it appears people in the past were able redeposit and upgrade.

Any recommendations on how to proceed other than to just reach out to AA customer service?
Ran into a different issue while changing this same itinerary a couple weeks back. I had originally booked one of the US domestic legs in Y and got an EF alert a few weeks back that space had opened up in J. Called in and got moved up to J. No difference in miles required. Small difference in taxes so it would need to be reticketed. Miles redeposited, immediately clawed back. Since I had had already spent the rebate miles on something else and don't fly AA that often I ended with a negative balance in my account.

It took me a solid three hours on the phone and numerous departments but I was finally able to convince them that they should let me go negative in order to reticket the award. I was flatly told nobody is allowed to go negative but eventually allowed to go negative.

If you have this card and a low AA miles balance, then I'd beware of headaches when trying to make changes to mixed-partner itineraries.

Seats have now opened up on a different part of this itinerary that work better but I'm not sure it's worth the call center time.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Was told by AA rep that my Aviator Red has to be used for the 10% back, has this changed from just being coded on your account and any card would work?

Also, am wondering what happens if I change the flight from Economy to Business next year when more award seats may be released. I'm assuming I will get a rebate clawback if I no longer hold an eligible card by then, or do I just pay the difference between Economy and Business w/o the 10% back?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
Was told by AA rep that my Aviator Red has to be used for the 10% back, has this changed from just being coded on your account and any card would work?
Nothing has changed. The CSR told you some made-up nonsense.
msp3 and FlyerTalkUserName like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.