Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The 10% mileage rebate (to a maximum of 10,000 miles per card per year) is ending 1 May 2019.

FAQ: Holders of certain Citi and Barclays cards receive a 10% miles rebate on awards

Q. What are the basic contours of the AA 10% rebate on miles redemptions?
A. Holders of certain "open and active" credit cards issued by Citibank and Barclays are eligible for a 10% rebate (up to 10,000 miles per calendar year) on award redemptions. Having more than one qualifying card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate (no "double dipping").
Which Citibank credit cards qualify for this benefit?
The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or other Citi Business cards.
Q. Which Barclays credit cards qualify for this benefit?
A. The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Barclays-issued cards:
  • AA Aviator Red
  • AA Aviator Silver
  • US Airways Premier World (no longer issued)
It does not apply to the Aviator or Aviator Blue cards.
Q. So if I have a qualifying Citibank card and and qualifying Barclays card, will I get double the rebate?
A. No. As stated above, having more than one qualifying card does not increase your rebate.

Note that if you have at least one qualifying Citi card and at least one qualifying Barclays card, your rebate will be processed as two separate transactions with half attributed to each card. (For example, if you redeem 40,000 miles, you will see two separate AA mileage credits of 2,000 miles.)
Q. How soon should I receive the rebate?
A. In most cases, the rebate posts within minutes after processing of an award redemption. On your AA transaction details it will show a 10% deposit on the same line as the mileage redemption, so it's all in one place.
Q. What if I redeem miles now for an award flight next year?
A. For purposes of the 10,000-mile annual rebate cap, the date that matters is the date the award is issued, not the date on which the award will be used.
Q. Do I have to use my AA card to pay any taxes/fees in order to receive the rebate?
A. No. You do not have to pay with your AA card.
Q. Does the rebate apply to AA partner flights?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book an award for someone else?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book a Citi/Barclays Reduced Miles Award?
Q. What happens if I claim an award, get the rebate but later cancel the award?
A. The rebated miles for an award that is canceled will be "clawed back" by the card issuer.
Q. What happens if I'm short a few miles for my award, but the rebate would fulfill the miles needed when applied?
A. Nothing. This is a rebate. The miles are rebated (soon) after you secure the award, not before or during.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Plat
This isn't a benefit of Aviator Blue Card?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:48 am

10% rebate for awards booking

I have the citi card for the 10% redemption but paid the awards travel ticket with my Citi prestige instead. Read that my account is tied to the citi plat card so should receive the 10% redemption. 100k taken out of account on 9/18. When should I see the 10k in my account?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by metoo
I have the citi card for the 10% redemption but paid the awards travel ticket with my Citi prestige instead. Read that my account is tied to the citi plat card so should receive the 10% redemption. 100k taken out of account on 9/18. When should I see the 10k in my account?
I redeemed out of my AA account a couple of weeks ago and the 10% rebate was in my account when I checked the next day, dated the day of redemption. I did pay the taxes with my AA Citi card but others say it shouldn't matter. Thus, I would expect your rebate to be in your account by now.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by metoo
We've merged your question into the existing thread. Please read the wiki.

/Moderator

You should have received the rebate already if eligible.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: DL-Silver, Marriott-Life Plat, IHG-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Ditto

Originally Posted by megalab
I redeemed out of my AA account a couple of weeks ago and the 10% rebate was in my account when I checked the next day, dated the day of redemption. I did pay the taxes with my AA Citi card but others say it shouldn't matter. Thus, I would expect your rebate to be in your account by now.
Paid for an on-hold reservation at 10PM last night with my brand new Citi AA card. This morning my tickets are purchased and rebates posted. I spent 50K miles x 2 and received 5K x 2 back.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:16 am

CITI Clawback on Award Cancellation

There have been but a few posts addressing the issue of canceling an Award and having the rebated CITI 10% miles deducted at reinstatement. In my case I cancelled a 110K award. AA.com front page showed an increase of 100K and My account "Mileage balance" showed same. But under "Activity" it showed the 110K reinstatement while the total only increased by 100K. That is, the 10% was held back.
This particular award was the first of 6 redemptions over 100K. I was curious as to how the 10% would be recaptured through one of the subsequent awards.
I had read here that this was a known glitch and that, in the case of other awards where the CITI 10% rebate could be applied to, an agent had to manually add the 10%.
Today I was told by a supervisor that there was a system in place where a monthly sweep would, in essence, see the 10K clawback and see other same calendar year awards and add the 10K back automatically.
I shall report back at the end of the month.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 6:28 am

Update on reversing 10K claw back.

Update on my post above...I spent some 60 minutes with a very good AAdavantage agent about a week ago. She understood exactly what had happened and what should happen. We left the matter unresolved pending the closeout of the monthly "Activity" which extended some 10 days into November(I'm thinking this was due to the merger and everything else going on)to see if the computer would auto-correct(see the 10K taken back, see other 100K+ awards for 2015, and add the 10K rebate back.) This did not happen and I am now going to go the manual application route for the 10K. I will follow this up.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:11 pm

any reason this shouldn't work???

I have 103,000 miles but need 110,000 for a business award. I would purchase a economy for 70,000 (same route), wait for the 7,000 rebate to post then call up to upgrade to business. I'm not worried about award space, my dates are flexible and there are a lot of seats. Anything I should be worried about? Looks like a great way to drain my balance before devaluation.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Should work

Originally Posted by neek1022
I have 103,000 miles but need 110,000 for a business award. I would purchase a economy for 70,000 (same route), wait for the 7,000 rebate to post then call up to upgrade to business. I'm not worried about award space, my dates are flexible and there are a lot of seats. Anything I should be worried about? Looks like a great way to drain my balance before devaluation.
Can't think of anything. Recently did something similar to get two RT reduced mileage awards when I only had 33,300 miles left. Booked the first one, got the 1,750 mile rebate the next day, booked the 2nd reduced mileage ticket soon after.

Will salvage the remaining miles by applying for the Business Citi/AA card this weekend. It's eligible for reduced mileage awards but not the 10% rebate. Hopefully the category bonuses will make up for it.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by neek1022
Since all awards are now offered as one-ways, I would book the available Business Class one way, and Coach the other. Then, after the rebate posts, you only need to deal with changing one flight from Coach to Business.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Since all awards are now offered as one-ways, I would book the available Business Class one way, and Coach the other. Then, after the rebate posts, you only need to deal with changing one flight from Coach to Business.
Nice tip! I forgot the include the 10% rebate in my miles calculation.... I am in the process of booking 2 RT, and now I can book 4 OW tickets and take advantage on each rebate.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
This may sound like a weird question, but I'm relying on the rebate to book an award (I have less than the actual amount required, but with the rebate, it'll push me over), so I'm booking two separate awards.

My question is, does the rebate post once the ticket goes to "Ticket Pending" status, or only once it is actually "Ticketed?"
As many of you know, the time between the two can be rather lengthy depending on the date of the flight.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Just wondering if you redeposit your miles what happens to the 10% rebate. Do you keep the extra miles? If not, can you still use it later when you book an award flight later in the year? Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 3, 2015, 3:46 pm

Update on 10% claw back resolution.

Originally Posted by alien
There have been but a few posts addressing the issue of canceling an Award and having the rebated CITI 10% miles deducted at reinstatement. In my case I cancelled a 110K award. AA.com front page showed an increase of 100K and My account "Mileage balance" showed same. But under "Activity" it showed the 110K reinstatement while the total only increased by 100K. That is, the 10% was held back.
This particular award was the first of 6 redemptions over 100K. I was curious as to how the 10% would be recaptured through one of the subsequent awards.
I had read here that this was a known glitch and that, in the case of other awards where the CITI 10% rebate could be applied to, an agent had to manually add the 10%.
Today I was told by a supervisor that there was a system in place where a monthly sweep would, in essence, see the 10K clawback and see other same calendar year awards and add the 10K back automatically.
I shall report back at the end of the month.
2nd Update & Final Resolution: This was finally resolved today. I happened to make a new award and my account activity showed the mileage redemption followed by mileage credits, in 1K increments altering between CITI and Barclays, for the 10% rebate. (So, if I had not made the new redemption I am thinking I would have had to call back and again direct them to other existing award reservations that the 10% could be reapplied to.)
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Just wondering if you redeposit your miles what happens to the 10% rebate. Do you keep the extra miles? If not, can you still use it later when you book an award flight later in the year? Thanks in advance!
The rebate miles are reversed and can be used if you book a new award later. Just did this with a new award this week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.