Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Old May 4, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The 10% mileage rebate (to a maximum of 10,000 miles per card per year) is ending 1 May 2019.

FAQ: Holders of certain Citi and Barclays cards receive a 10% miles rebate on awards

Q. What are the basic contours of the AA 10% rebate on miles redemptions?
A. Holders of certain "open and active" credit cards issued by Citibank and Barclays are eligible for a 10% rebate (up to 10,000 miles per calendar year) on award redemptions. Having more than one qualifying card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate (no "double dipping").
Which Citibank credit cards qualify for this benefit?
The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or other Citi Business cards.
Q. Which Barclays credit cards qualify for this benefit?
A. The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Barclays-issued cards:
  • AA Aviator Red
  • AA Aviator Silver
  • US Airways Premier World (no longer issued)
It does not apply to the Aviator or Aviator Blue cards.
Q. So if I have a qualifying Citibank card and and qualifying Barclays card, will I get double the rebate?
A. No. As stated above, having more than one qualifying card does not increase your rebate.

Note that if you have at least one qualifying Citi card and at least one qualifying Barclays card, your rebate will be processed as two separate transactions with half attributed to each card. (For example, if you redeem 40,000 miles, you will see two separate AA mileage credits of 2,000 miles.)
Q. How soon should I receive the rebate?
A. In most cases, the rebate posts within minutes after processing of an award redemption. On your AA transaction details it will show a 10% deposit on the same line as the mileage redemption, so it's all in one place.
Q. What if I redeem miles now for an award flight next year?
A. For purposes of the 10,000-mile annual rebate cap, the date that matters is the date the award is issued, not the date on which the award will be used.
Q. Do I have to use my AA card to pay any taxes/fees in order to receive the rebate?
A. No. You do not have to pay with your AA card.
Q. Does the rebate apply to AA partner flights?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book an award for someone else?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book a Citi/Barclays Reduced Miles Award?
Q. What happens if I claim an award, get the rebate but later cancel the award?
A. The rebated miles for an award that is canceled will be "clawed back" by the card issuer.
Q. What happens if I'm short a few miles for my award, but the rebate would fulfill the miles needed when applied?
A. Nothing. This is a rebate. The miles are rebated (soon) after you secure the award, not before or during.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Old May 10, 2015, 8:39 am

No Double dip AA and AAviator Red 10% Redemption Bonus

Looks like you get 5% from each card.

25,000 mi trip x 4
1,250 mi bonus x8

Last edited by aztimm; May 10, 2015 at 9:09 am Reason: picture too big
Old May 10, 2015, 9:08 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Yeah, I just found this out the other day too. I saw the split a while ago but did not think that meant when I hit 10K in total, that was it. I thought you would get 10K per card and the system just split the bonus equally between cards to not pile on Citi or Barkleys. I don't see where it says that anywhere, but once I hit 10K that was it. So if you have both cards, the limit is really 5K per year per card and not 10K. Citi, Barkley, and AA need to clarify that somewhere because I sure don't see it clearly stated anywhere.

I did call in to verify this. The funny thing is that the CK rep did not even know about the redemption bonus so I got transferred to CS where that rep explained to me (and the CK rep) what the policy is.
Old May 10, 2015, 9:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Mod note: I deleted an image from the OP, it was so unwieldy that it was hard to see on my computer. Please re-size and feel free to add back.

aztimm
Old May 10, 2015, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not new news. This was resolved a couple months ago (after someone initially wondered if they would "stack"). See the wiki in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

It says:
So if I have a qualifying Citibank card and and qualifying Barclays card, will I get double the rebate?
No. As stated above, having more than one qualifying card does not increase your rebate.

Note that if you have at least one qualifying Citi card and at least one qualifying Barclays card, your rebate will be processed as two separate transactions with half attributed to each card. (For example, if you redeem 40,000 miles, you will see two separate AA mileage credits of 2,000 miles.)
If you want to find the previous discussion on it, search for the word "stack" in the same thread.
Old May 12, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by ffflllyyyeeerrr
Check your AA account. Log in online, on the home screen with your account info in the box to the left it will say "Welcome back, NAME. Status level. Mileage Balance: 123,456 miles" in the box after you log in. If you have the Citi card, it will say "Citi / AAdvantage cardmember" right above the milage balance. If this is there, you'll get the discount.
What about Aviator card members? I don't see anything on my AA account.
Old May 12, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
What about Aviator card members? I don't see anything on my AA account.
Never mind - the bonus miles posted even though it doesn't say anything different near my name on the sign in screen. Woo!
Old May 13, 2015, 10:45 am

Barclay/Citi 10% rebate

Since both barclay and citi cards both offer the 10% rebate on redeemed points, is it possible to get the 10% rebate for both cards? This may be possible if you have not combined your AA accounts (one card linked to each AA account) and have significant miles in each account to book some premium awards.

I unfortunately have combined my accounts so I am not in a position to answer this question but maybe someone on here can answer it. I have a family member that could potentially get 1250 miles or so extra back if this is the case.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AlabamaTraveler
Since both barclay and citi cards both offer the 10% rebate on redeemed points, is it possible to get the 10% rebate for both cards? This may be possible if you have not combined your AA accounts (one card linked to each AA account) and have significant miles in each account to book some premium awards.

I unfortunately have combined my accounts so I am not in a position to answer this question but maybe someone on here can answer it. I have a family member that could potentially get 1250 miles or so extra back if this is the case.
It's one 10% rebate regardless the number of credit cards you have.

I can't speak to gaming the system about having 2 AAdvantage Accounts.
Old May 13, 2015, 12:25 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with existing thread discussing the Citi/Barclay's 10% rebate perq. Please help us keep our forum tidy by searching for extant threads first. Thanks! /Moderator
Old May 13, 2015, 2:11 pm

I have Citi AAdvantage Executive Plat. card which includes 10% mileage rebates for award travel. I spent 75000 miles in March, but the 10% rebate is not showing up in my account. Who should I contact? AA or Citi? Thanks!
Old May 13, 2015, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by outbackvandy
I have Citi AAdvantage Executive Plat. card which includes 10% mileage rebates for award travel. I spent 75000 miles in March, but the 10% rebate is not showing up in my account. Who should I contact? AA or Citi? Thanks!
There is no "Citi AAdvantage Executive Plat" card. There is the "Platinum Select" and "Executive" card. The Executive card does not offer the 10% mileage rebate benefit.
Old May 13, 2015, 7:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by AlabamaTraveler

I carry both cards, redeemed miles for RT Europe fare (Helluva routing too, the RM gods have smiled upon me ), and maxed out my 10K rebate bonus. The interesting thing was there were 4 line items for the refunds, each @ 2500 miles a piece: 2 from Citibank and 2 from Barclays. The systems knows if you have both cards connected to your account, so you seemingly can't dupe it into refunding extra miles.
Old May 14, 2015, 5:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jtav559
I carry both cards, redeemed miles for RT Europe fare (Helluva routing too, the RM gods have smiled upon me ), and maxed out my 10K rebate bonus. The interesting thing was there were 4 line items for the refunds, each @ 2500 miles a piece: 2 from Citibank and 2 from Barclays. The systems knows if you have both cards connected to your account, so you seemingly can't dupe it into refunding extra miles.
This & other info is already in the wiki at the top of this page. You might it helpful to read through it.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
I just booked my first-ever AA travel award over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised to see that the 10% mileage rebate was credited to my AAdvantage account the same day as the ticketing. That's a much better timeframe than the 6-8 weeks promised in the Barclaycard Aviator Red welcome kit and other promo pieces.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Carl
I just booked my first-ever AA travel award over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised to see that the 10% mileage rebate was credited to my AAdvantage account the same day as the ticketing. That's a much better timeframe than the 6-8 weeks promised in the Barclaycard Aviator Red welcome kit and other promo pieces.
Yep, me too. Six awards, six 10% rebates. Prompt, no hassles. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.