Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Old May 4, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The 10% mileage rebate (to a maximum of 10,000 miles per card per year) is ending 1 May 2019.

FAQ: Holders of certain Citi and Barclays cards receive a 10% miles rebate on awards

Q. What are the basic contours of the AA 10% rebate on miles redemptions?
A. Holders of certain "open and active" credit cards issued by Citibank and Barclays are eligible for a 10% rebate (up to 10,000 miles per calendar year) on award redemptions. Having more than one qualifying card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate (no "double dipping").
Which Citibank credit cards qualify for this benefit?
The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or other Citi Business cards.
Q. Which Barclays credit cards qualify for this benefit?
A. The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Barclays-issued cards:
  • AA Aviator Red
  • AA Aviator Silver
  • US Airways Premier World (no longer issued)
It does not apply to the Aviator or Aviator Blue cards.
Q. So if I have a qualifying Citibank card and and qualifying Barclays card, will I get double the rebate?
A. No. As stated above, having more than one qualifying card does not increase your rebate.

Note that if you have at least one qualifying Citi card and at least one qualifying Barclays card, your rebate will be processed as two separate transactions with half attributed to each card. (For example, if you redeem 40,000 miles, you will see two separate AA mileage credits of 2,000 miles.)
Q. How soon should I receive the rebate?
A. In most cases, the rebate posts within minutes after processing of an award redemption. On your AA transaction details it will show a 10% deposit on the same line as the mileage redemption, so it's all in one place.
Q. What if I redeem miles now for an award flight next year?
A. For purposes of the 10,000-mile annual rebate cap, the date that matters is the date the award is issued, not the date on which the award will be used.
Q. Do I have to use my AA card to pay any taxes/fees in order to receive the rebate?
A. No. You do not have to pay with your AA card.
Q. Does the rebate apply to AA partner flights?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book an award for someone else?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book a Citi/Barclays Reduced Miles Award?
Q. What happens if I claim an award, get the rebate but later cancel the award?
A. The rebated miles for an award that is canceled will be "clawed back" by the card issuer.
Q. What happens if I'm short a few miles for my award, but the rebate would fulfill the miles needed when applied?
A. Nothing. This is a rebate. The miles are rebated (soon) after you secure the award, not before or during.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Old Mar 13, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by dmfchamp
There is a 10% AA mileage rebate if you have an AA card,
Recently, I booked an award flight needing 110k miles, having only 102k miles in my wife's account. I authorized a transfer of 8k miles from my account costing $115.

What I didn't know is that the 10% rebate or 10K miles posts immediately upon redemption and I only needed 100k miles (110k less 10%) making the transfer unnecessary.

Guest relations would not buy this argument and refused to reverse the transfer.

Has anyone else had this issue?
You need to pay the full amount first, 110K miles. Then you get your 10% rebate. This is not the same as a 10% mileage reduction in award. A rebate comes after full payment.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: AA advantage
What you're stating is what AA stated.
However, if you purchase an item for $110 with a $10 coupon, would you tender $110 or $100?
Since the 10% rebate was available immediately upon redemption, a transfer should not have been necessary
Old Mar 13, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
The terms do not advertise it as a discount, but as a rebate, for example here:

https://secure.fly.aa.com/citi/footer-plathv

10% Miles Back

For benefit to apply, your Citi / AAdvantage account must be open and active at the time of redemption. The American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles the primary cardmember earns through this benefit will be based on 10% of the total AAdvantage miles the primary cardmember redeems during the calendar year. The maximum number of AAdvantage bonus miles that can be earned annually from this benefit is 10,000 AAdvantage bonus miles per calendar year and per AAdvantage account, regardless of how many AAdvantage miles you redeem in that calendar year, and regardless of how many AAdvantage program cobranded credit cards you have. This benefit only applies to AAdvantage miles redeemed from the primary cardmembers AAdvantage account. Discover all the ways to redeem AAdvantage miles at aa.com/redeem . American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles typically post 68 weeks after your redemption to the primary cardmembers AAdvantage account.
Regardless of the speed of the rebate, the way the system works is, you have to have the full mileage amount in your account first in order to book the ticket. It's a serial process and one thing has to come before the other. A coupon analogy is inapt as it's not a coupon but a rebate.

Keep in mind there is a 10,000 mile cap per AAdvantage account per year.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
However, if you purchase an item for $110 with a $10 coupon, would you tender $110 or $100?
Since the 10% rebate was available immediately upon redemption, a transfer should not have been necessary
But you didn't have a coupon; you had a rebate, which only posts after you pay full price for the redemption. Those are the rules of the game; if you don't like them, you don't have to play.

Assuming that this was a roundtrip and not a one-way, you could have booked the outbound for 55K miles first, gotten a 5,500-mile rebate, and then just transferred 3K miles -- instead of 8K miles -- to purchase the return trip.

Why you waited until after it was too late to help you before posting an inquiry here on FT is a mystery.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
Last week, I cancelled an award that I booked early last year. They clawed back the discount. I made many other award bookings later in 2016, at the time, no discount because I had hit the 10k max. Any one have this happen and did you have success getting the clawback reversed based on not getting the full 10k on last years bookings?

thanks in advance!
I'm in the same boat. Just cancelled my pre-devaluation F award , but had many other award bookings later that I ended up using.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I read a few pages and I'm still somewhat confused. Suppose I have redeemed 110k worth of itineraries receiving 10K rebate in total for this year. If I cancel these flights, the rebate is gone for good? Do I get A) 110k back but no more 10k rebate for any other redemption I make or B) only 100k back and no more 10k rebate as well or....I could get to use the rebate again? (With manual intervention needed etc?)
I think it would need manual intervention once the 10k is hit if you refund those awards and redeem more- in the same year. If you are redeeming this year but refunding from last year I don't think adjustments would be made.

Never hurts to ask tho!
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:29 pm

Just an update. I called AA Customer Service. They created a "FUFA" - something that they have to figure out. THey will investigate why I did not get the 10K miles and get back to me. Not sure why it requires a "FUFA". It's pretty obvious I did not get the mileage rebate, but OK. They say it will take 3-5 days and they will notify me by mail.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk dmfchamp.

Please follow the redirect as we send this to the AA forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: Hilton Dmd; AA Gld
One thing that far too many of AA cardholders are unaware of are the Reduced Mileage Awards (RMA) that are available. If you happen to fly to one of the airports listed on the website, it could very well save you a decent amount of miles. Otherwise, like mentioned above, it is considered an instant rebate, not a coupon. Must have total needed for trip in order to book.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
There is a 10% AA mileage rebate if you have an AA card,
Recently, I booked an award flight needing 110k miles, having only 102k miles in my wife's account. I authorized a transfer of 8k miles from my account costing $115.

What I didn't know is that the 10% rebate or 10K miles posts immediately upon redemption and I only needed 100k miles (110k less 10%) making the transfer unnecessary.

Guest relations would not buy this argument and refused to reverse the transfer.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Welcome to FlyerTalk and to the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum.

We have merged your query into the existing thread. (This prevents information fragmentation; members searching for this topic find the germane information in one master thread, not dozens or more threadlets addressing different facets of the topic.)

Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page. It contains a summary of important information and a FAQ.

/Moderator

As others have indicated (and as stated in the FAQ), the 10% rebate (to 10,000 miles annually) is a rebate on a purchase already made.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by beltway
Did you ever get an answer, either here on FT or from AA?
No, after spending 45 minutes on the phone, AA rep said he would have to forward the issue to someone internally. Never heard back. I will follow up but not optimistic.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How can you get a rebate BEFORE a transaction has even happened?

By default, rebate is AFTER a valid transaction has happened.

Hence you need to have enough miles in the account before the transaction, i.e. the redemption of an award would even happen.

Such a simple and basic concept.

BTW, the rebate only is instant since last year. Before that it took a week or more before the rebate posted to the account.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by flyerguy1975
I think it would need manual intervention once the 10k is hit if you refund those awards and redeem more- in the same year. If you are redeeming this year but refunding from last year I don't think adjustments would be made.

Never hurts to ask tho!
The wiki is very helpful, thanks all.

I have a question about the reduced miles award calendar, if I'm looking for something in October and there's no October schedule yet and it's only 3ish months away; am I safe to assume there will be NO October schedule?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by noungning
I have a question about the reduced miles award calendar, if I'm looking for something in October and there's no October schedule yet and it's only 3ish months away; am I safe to assume there will be NO October schedule?
No. The October schedule should come out Aug 1. For the last couple of years AA has put out a new four month schedule every two months.

Destinations available can/will change one release to the next. What you see now for Aug and Sep may not be available after Aug 1, and new cities may show up. Thus, if you don't see what you want in Oct at the Aug 1 release, you can always hope it shows up at the Oct 1 release. Conversely, if you see a destination you like for Oct on Aug 1, don't assume it will be available after Oct 1.

You can look in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...thread-21.html if you have more questions.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by megalab
No. The October schedule should come out Aug 1. For the last couple of years AA has put out a new four month schedule every two months.

Destinations available can/will change one release to the next. What you see now for Aug and Sep may not be available after Aug 1, and new cities may show up. Thus, if you don't see what you want in Oct at the Aug 1 release, you can always hope it shows up at the Oct 1 release. Conversely, if you see a destination you like for Oct on Aug 1, don't assume it will be available after Oct 1.

You can look in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...thread-21.html if you have more questions.
Thank you, appreciate your time and explanation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.