Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 6, 19, 8:34 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
NOTE: The 10% mileage rebate (to a maximum of 10,000 miles per card per year) is ending 1 May 2019.


FAQ: Holders of certain Citi and Barclays cards receive a 10% miles rebate on awards

Q. What are the basic contours of the AA 10% rebate on miles redemptions?
A. Holders of certain "open and active" credit cards issued by Citibank and Barclays are eligible for a 10% rebate (up to 10,000 miles per calendar year) on award redemptions. Having more than one qualifying card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate (no "double dipping").
Which Citibank credit cards qualify for this benefit?
The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or other Citi Business cards.
Q. Which Barclays credit cards qualify for this benefit?
A. The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Barclays-issued cards:
  • AA Aviator Red
  • AA Aviator Silver
  • US Airways Premier World (no longer issued)
It does not apply to the Aviator or Aviator Blue cards.
Q. So if I have a qualifying Citibank card and and qualifying Barclays card, will I get double the rebate?
A. No. As stated above, having more than one qualifying card does not increase your rebate.

Note that if you have at least one qualifying Citi card and at least one qualifying Barclays card, your rebate will be processed as two separate transactions with half attributed to each card. (For example, if you redeem 40,000 miles, you will see two separate AA mileage credits of 2,000 miles.)
Q. How soon should I receive the rebate?
A. In most cases, the rebate posts within minutes after processing of an award redemption. On your AA transaction details it will show a 10% deposit on the same line as the mileage redemption, so it's all in one place.
Q. What if I redeem miles now for an award flight next year?
A. For purposes of the 10,000-mile annual rebate cap, the date that matters is the date the award is issued, not the date on which the award will be used.
Q. Do I have to use my AA card to pay any taxes/fees in order to receive the rebate?
A. No. You do not have to pay with your AA card.
Q. Does the rebate apply to AA partner flights?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book an award for someone else?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book a Citi/Barclays Reduced Miles Award?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. What happens if I claim an award, get the rebate but later cancel the award?
A. The rebated miles for an award that is canceled will be "clawed back" by the card issuer.
Q. What happens if I'm short a few miles for my award, but the rebate would fulfill the miles needed when applied?
A. Nothing. This is a rebate. The miles are rebated (soon) after you secure the award, not before or during.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 4, 16, 8:19 pm
  #151  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 169
Originally Posted by duranza View Post
I have booked a business class ticket using 50k miles that I want to upgrade to F. ( 12.5k more miles)

I ended up with 5K more miles since the booking due to the 10% bonus on award flights for card holders.

Will that 5k bonus disappear when the 50k gets deposited back in order to upgrade on the same flight?

Reason I ask is that I am short some miles in order to upgrade and I need to transfer some and wanted to know exactly how many if this 5k is removed from my account.
In my experience, you get to keep the miles. I got a J ticket last September for 50,000. I was then reimbursed 5,000 miles for paying the taxes for the flight with my Citi AA card. Fast forward to last week, I found an upgrade to F and decided to pull the trigger. My account shows 50,000 miles being deposited back into my account, then 62,500 being deducted from my account for the F ticket. And then 6,250 miles being reimbursed back to me since they reran my Citi AA card to pay for the taxes on my new ticket. Which actually happened to be about $15 cheaper. I thought that when you upgraded to a higher class of service on an award ticket that they would just take the extra miles from your account and that would be that. But it appears that the agent in my case had to redeposit the original ticket/miles back into my account and then deduct the new ticket/miles from my account. If my math is correct, that gave me an extra 5,000 miles in my account that I wasn't expecting(10% reimbursement of 62,500 miles as opposed to 10% reimbursement of 12,500 miles). Since this is my first time getting an award ticket and then upgrading an award ticket, I have no clue if my case is the exception or the rule. If anyone who gets award tickets regularly would chime in and shed some light on the situation, I know that I for one would greatly appreciate it. And I was not charged a $150 mile redeposit fee if that makes a difference.
Atxbobcat is offline  
Old Feb 4, 16, 8:23 pm
  #152  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Posts: 2,363
Originally Posted by Atxbobcat View Post
In my experience, you get to keep the miles. I got a J ticket last September for 50,000. I was then reimbursed 5,000 miles for paying the taxes for the flight with my Citi AA card. Fast forward to last week, I found an upgrade to F and decided to pull the trigger. My account shows 50,000 miles being deposited back into my account, then 62,500 being deducted from my account for the F ticket. And then 6,250 miles being reimbursed back to me since they reran my Citi AA card to pay for the taxes on my new ticket. Which actually happened to be about $15 cheaper. I thought that when you upgraded to a higher class of service on an award ticket that they would just take the extra miles from your account and that would be that. But it appears that the agent in my case had to redeposit the original ticket/miles back into my account and then deduct the new ticket/miles from my account. If my math is correct, that gave me an extra 5,000 miles in my account that I wasn't expecting(10% reimbursement of 62,500 miles as opposed to 10% reimbursement of 12,500 miles). Since this is my first time getting an award ticket and then upgrading an award ticket, I have no clue if my case is the exception or the rule. If anyone who gets award tickets regularly would chime in and shed some light on the situation, I know that I for one would greatly appreciate it. And I was not charged a $150 mile redeposit fee if that makes a difference.
The 10% mileage rebate is not dependent on you using your Citi (or Barclay) AA card to pay for the taxes/fees due. You receive that rebate by being the cardholder, regardless of which card is used when booking the award.
akcae is offline  
Old Feb 4, 16, 8:40 pm
  #153  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DCA
Programs: UA LT 1K, AA PPro- LT Gold, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,110
I redeemed about 500K miles in 2015. The first redemption of 125K miles was cancelled and re-deposited. I received my 10K CC rebate with that first redemption. But then the 10K rebate was subtracted, with net redeposit of 115K.

The 10K CC rebate then did not get applied against the next 2015 reward - so I am down 10K miles.

I have called and spoken to numerous AA Advantage agents, including supervisors and I get different info. The 10K miles are supposed to be re-credited. One supervisor told me it would happen on Jan 27th when they ran a reclamation job - but it not happen. Another agent now tells me it is in my record and it be will be re-deposited in a few day and that has now passed.

My only option is to start calling AA daily.

Also my Barclay Companion certificate was earned in November. But I have not yet received it. I called Barclay and after being transferred to several people, got word that the November batch got screwed up and they are working to fix those. But now that time has passed. I guess I will now being calling Barclay again.
cova is offline  
Old Feb 4, 16, 9:03 pm
  #154  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,463
Originally Posted by Atxbobcat View Post
In my experience, you get to keep the miles. I got a J ticket last September for 50,000. I was then reimbursed 5,000 miles for paying the taxes for the flight with my Citi AA card. Fast forward to last week, I found an upgrade to F and decided to pull the trigger. My account shows 50,000 miles being deposited back into my account, then 62,500 being deducted from my account for the F ticket. And then 6,250 miles being reimbursed back to me since they reran my Citi AA card to pay for the taxes on my new ticket. Which actually happened to be about $15 cheaper. I thought that when you upgraded to a higher class of service on an award ticket that they would just take the extra miles from your account and that would be that. But it appears that the agent in my case had to redeposit the original ticket/miles back into my account and then deduct the new ticket/miles from my account. If my math is correct, that gave me an extra 5,000 miles in my account that I wasn't expecting(10% reimbursement of 62,500 miles as opposed to 10% reimbursement of 12,500 miles). Since this is my first time getting an award ticket and then upgrading an award ticket, I have no clue if my case is the exception or the rule. If anyone who gets award tickets regularly would chime in and shed some light on the situation, I know that I for one would greatly appreciate it. And I was not charged a $150 mile redeposit fee if that makes a difference.
When you upfare an award, AA waives the $150 change fee. Therefore you are not charged for that.

The procedure is correct. Airlines do NOT collect the "difference" be it miles or taxes. Everything is redone - old miles/taxes are refunded, new miles/taxes are rebilled.

As for the rebate (you do not need to use the AAdvantage card in order to get the benefit), when they redo the award, the previous 5K rebate IS taken back, BUT WITHOUT A LINE ITEM ENTRY. If you do the full math from the previous Balance to the current Balance, you would realize the 5K is taken back, and then 6.25K is posted in the same manner as the 5K is posted.

Sometimes the retrieval of previous 10% rebate does not happen the same time when the change occur. But in subsequent months, rest be assured, the "windfall" of 5K would be taken back but you would not see a line item entry as it should. This makes record keeping on the customer side confusing - may be by purpose, so the customer would wrongly think he has a windfall...

In any case, it is upon you, the customer, to CAREFULLY keep track of your miles balance because just by looking on the line items, you do not really get the true picture.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 4, 16 at 9:45 pm Reason: typo
Happy is offline  
Old Feb 4, 16, 9:25 pm
  #155  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 8,199
If I have 100k miles but want to make a 110k mile reservation (US - Asia 2 in J), I would have to buy or transfer in those additional 10k miles correct?

There's also a change fee on AA awards as soon as they ticket correct (AA Gold so not waived)? If not I was thinking I could make the 100k redemption and then as soon as the miles hit my account (if within 24 hours) call back and add the flight continuing from TYO to SIN.
Duke787 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 16, 9:26 pm
  #156  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DCA
Programs: UA LT 1K, AA PPro- LT Gold, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,110
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
In any case, it is upon you, the customer, to CAREFULLY keep track of your miles balance because just by looking on the line items, you do not really get the true picture.
You are absolutely correct. In my case, the end of the month showed one balance, and the starting balance the next moth was down 10k. Although it this case I noticed the loss of 10K immediately.

AA really needs to add this as a displayed line item - the take away of the bonus. Just a continuation of poor IT (software) on AA's part.

AA needs to replace the CIO with a technical person, not a PR person.
cova is offline  
Old Feb 4, 16, 9:37 pm
  #157  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 169
Thanks for all of the insight, looks like I will have to go back and look at previous balances to see where they took the 5,000 back. Was really hoping I had inadvertently got one over on them. Maybe next time...
Atxbobcat is offline  
Old Feb 4, 16, 9:50 pm
  #158  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,463
Originally Posted by cova View Post
You are absolutely correct. In my case, the end of the month showed one balance, and the starting balance the next moth was down 10k. Although it this case I noticed the loss of 10K immediately.

AA really needs to add this as a displayed line item - the take away of the bonus. Just a continuation of poor IT (software) on AA's part.

AA needs to replace the CIO with a technical person, not a PR person.
Also AA only gives you 5 to 6 months activities while UA (CO really) gives you at least 2 years history in very clear manner.

I also never understand why the month in AA's account calendar is always one month ahead of reality.

The most glaring display error though, is the WRONG travel date on the My Trip Summary Page. Even though I know the glitch, it still scares me each time I see a wrong date. The detail of the itinerary is correct but why can't the summary picks up the correct information?!
Happy is offline  
Old Feb 4, 16, 9:52 pm
  #159  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 5,208
Originally Posted by cova View Post
You are absolutely correct. In my case, the end of the month showed one balance, and the starting balance the next moth was down 10k. Although it this case I noticed the loss of 10K immediately.

AA really needs to add this as a displayed line item - the take away of the bonus. Just a continuation of poor IT (software) on AA's part.

AA needs to replace the CIO with a technical person, not a PR person.
I have also been confused by this, and it is very hard to keep track of the various award redemptions, cancellations, and redeposits. My fear is also that if you end up cancelling your first award of the year for which you receive the 10% rebate, and then the year is out, the rebate is not credited to any of your subsequent award redemptions of the previous year, as it should have. That is, if you eventually end up canceling the award reservations for which you received the rebate, and the year has ended and you don't do any more redemptions after the cancellation, you effectively "lose" those rebate miles, even if you had 5 subsequent award redemptions after the first award. Can someone confirm this?
nk15 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 16, 9:55 pm
  #160  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,463
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
If I have 100k miles but want to make a 110k mile reservation (US - Asia 2 in J), I would have to buy or transfer in those additional 10k miles correct?

There's also a change fee on AA awards as soon as they ticket correct (AA Gold so not waived)? If not I was thinking I could make the 100k redemption and then as soon as the miles hit my account (if within 24 hours) call back and add the flight continuing from TYO to SIN.
No you do NOT get free change within 24 hours because AA opts for having Hold (5 days on award, 24 hours on pay ticket) instead of 24 hrs free cancellation.

Most people would be grateful to have the Hold function (and in 5 days!) then the 24 hours free cancellation like all other airlines.

On top of that, what you are thinking to do is to change award type from Asia 1 to Asia 2, so you would pay $150 to do that once it is ticketed.

Yes, you need enough miles to book the award FIRST. The rebate only comes AFTER the miles are deducted first.
Happy is offline  
Old Feb 4, 16, 10:57 pm
  #161  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 8,199
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
No you do NOT get free change within 24 hours because AA opts for having Hold (5 days on award, 24 hours on pay ticket) instead of 24 hrs free cancellation.

Most people would be grateful to have the Hold function (and in 5 days!) then the 24 hours free cancellation like all other airlines.

On top of that, what you are thinking to do is to change award type from Asia 1 to Asia 2, so you would pay $150 to do that once it is ticketed.

Yes, you need enough miles to book the award FIRST. The rebate only comes AFTER the miles are deducted first.
Oh typically I'm pro the 5 day hold just trying to think through this situation. The reason I asked was precisely because it would be a region change so if allowed within 24 hours of booking I could book, get rebate, change region, but seems like that is not the case so I'll have to go a different route (either transfer miles in or buy the final 10k).
Duke787 is offline  
Old Feb 22, 16, 10:45 pm
  #162  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,406
Losing Citi/Barclay AA card 10% rebate after rebooking

I made a booking last year for 2 F tickets for Europe-US this March. As I have the Citi AA Plat, I got 10k miles back, so total deduction was 115k (125k-10k). Earlier this month, the itinerary was revised slightly so the miles were redeposited and then deducted again. Unfortunately,
Only 115k was redeposited and then 125k was deducted. The rebate given came out of this year's allowance, even though original booking was from 2015 and it was AA that initiated the change. I had already made another 62.5k booking earlier this year so my remaining rebate was only 3750 miles.

I contacted AA and after the agent spoke with her supervisor, she said that this is a known problem and the system reviews it once per month. The next review is 3/8. I suspect many other FTers have dealt with this before. Please share your experiences.
DaveInLA is offline  
Old Feb 23, 16, 2:25 am
  #163  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London, England
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Posts: 9,155
Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
I made a booking last year for 2 F tickets for Europe-US this March. As I have the Citi AA Plat, I got 10k miles back, so total deduction was 115k (125k-10k). Earlier this month, the itinerary was revised slightly so the miles were redeposited and then deducted again. Unfortunately,
Only 115k was redeposited and then 125k was deducted. The rebate given came out of this year's allowance, even though original booking was from 2015 and it was AA that initiated the change. I had already made another 62.5k booking earlier this year so my remaining rebate was only 3750 miles.

I contacted AA and after the agent spoke with her supervisor, she said that this is a known problem and the system reviews it once per month. The next review is 3/8. I suspect many other FTers have dealt with this before. Please share your experiences.
I'm going to shift this discussion into the extant thread discussing the mileage rebate.

~Moderator
Microwave is offline  
Old Feb 24, 16, 8:20 pm
  #164  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 71
Did they mean the rebate points will be automatically credited back after the review on 3/8? I highly doubt that. Please keep us posted. Thanks.

Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
I contacted AA and after the agent spoke with her supervisor, she said that this is a known problem and the system reviews it once per month. The next review is 3/8. I suspect many other FTers have dealt with this before.
justcome is offline  
Old Feb 28, 16, 8:42 pm
  #165  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver
Posts: 432
Q about benefit that gives back 10% of redemeed miles

I did some searching, but couldn't find a definite answer.

I have a Citi AA credit card that advertises 10% back on rdeemed miles (up to 10K max)

Once your card has been approved and associated to the account, is this feature tied to the credit card or the actual Aadvantage account? I need to book award travel with miles coming from my wife's account, and wondering if I pay the taxes for the fare using my credit card.

-davidyal
dave_SEA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: