Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to Upgrade on JAL - Flying AA Codeshare

Old Dec 24, 14, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Hello Everyone,

AA EXP flying BKK to NRT on Flight JL 708 (Codeshare AA 8412) in Y. I asked AA EXP Help desk if anyway to upgrade from Y to J using miles+copay and was advised it is not possible since it is not a AA metal flight. Business is wide open as of today with the flight on 1/10/2015.

What other options do I have other then just canceling my flight with AA and booking a J class on JAL.

Thanks,
Ali
Old Dec 24, 14, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ali Mithani View Post
Hello Everyone,

AA EXP flying BKK to NRT on Flight JL 708 (Codeshare AA 8412) in Y. I asked AA EXP Help desk if anyway to upgrade from Y to J using miles+copay and was advised it is not possible since it is not a AA metal flight. Business is wide open as of today with the flight on 1/10/2015.

What other options do I have other then just canceling my flight with AA and booking a J class on JAL.

Thanks,
Ali
You can not use AAdvantage miles to upgrade on JAL. JAL often sells Y to PE upgrades at the airport if space is available.
See:
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/other/info2010_0702ug.html

JAL does not normally sell airport upgrades to higher classes.
Old Dec 24, 14, 11:32 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: GLD; MR: TIT
Earlier this month I received a free upgrade to PE from Y - without asking! It was glorious. Good luck!
Old Dec 24, 14, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
You can not use AAdvantage miles to upgrade on JAL. JAL often sells Y to PE upgrades at the airport if space is available.
See:
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/other/info2010_0702ug.html

JAL does not normally sell airport upgrades to higher classes.
Thanks. I am only seeing flight JL708 have only Business and Economy. Not seeing Premium Economy.
Old Dec 24, 14, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
You can ask at the airport. My experience has been JL won't touch a ticket that has an AA issued ticket with AA codeshare on JL. They have given me free upgrades to business on AA issued tickets for JL coded flights.
Old Dec 24, 14, 9:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It's simple: can't be done.
Old Dec 25, 14, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Ali Mithani View Post
Hello Everyone,

AA EXP flying BKK to NRT on Flight JL 708 (Codeshare AA 8412) in Y.
Isn't there an AA Codeshare in J? Can't AA reissue the ticket (i.e.: pay more), in J through the AA codeshare? A six (6) hour flight too. Since this is not a domestic Japan ticket, JL will satisfy all of their JL elite member tickets first, including their equivalent Ruby level. JL may offer an exit row as an Emerald however -- that's what I received on the same flight quite a while back.

In my cases, I've been offered domestic intra-Japan upgrades numerous times as an EXP, yet for a price, at check in on JL that were AA codeshare and award tickets -- however, I end up refusing because they are short flights.

Good Luck

Spock Seat @:-)
Old Dec 25, 14, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
It's simple: can't be done.
Yes

You can also just change your ticket to paid business.

But you cannot use your AA miles to upgrade non-AA metal flights (unless its BA). Hell right now you cant even use your AA miles to upgrade US Airways flights, and its all "one airline" lol.

If you really want business, just ask the agents at check-in how much it would cost to move up to business.
Old Dec 25, 14, 7:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Originally Posted by Spock Seat View Post
Isn't there an AA Codeshare in J? Can't AA reissue the ticket (i.e.: pay more), in J through the AA codeshare? A six (6) hour flight too. Since this is not a domestic Japan ticket, JL will satisfy all of their JL elite member tickets first, including their equivalent Ruby level. JL may offer an exit row as an Emerald however -- that's what I received on the same flight quite a while back.

In my cases, I've been offered domestic intra-Japan upgrades numerous times as an EXP, yet for a price, at check in on JL that were AA codeshare and award tickets -- however, I end up refusing because they are short flights.

Good Luck

Spock Seat @:-)
Yes, intra-Japan they do offer what are basically counter upgrades for a price.
Old Dec 25, 14, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Yes, intra-Japan they do offer what are basically counter upgrades for a price.
JL do paid upgrades on selected routes, regardless of ticket issuer. Usually US$200 to go from Y to W. They'll sometimes just bump you up to J anyway even though you've only paid for the W upgrade. JL's new PE & J product is excellent IMO.
Old Dec 27, 14, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost View Post
JL do paid upgrades on selected routes, regardless of ticket issuer. Usually US$200 to go from Y to W. They'll sometimes just bump you up to J anyway even though you've only paid for the W upgrade. JL's new PE & J product is excellent IMO.
Great information.

The OP wanted to use miles and copay, no way.

OP, cross-posting is frowned upon here; your thread in the JL forum has been closed. /Moderator
Old Aug 18, 17, 10:54 pm

Programs: Starwood Preferred, American Airlines
Rookie Question

New to the site. I am taking wife and daughter to Tokyo from ORD in December. Premium economy JAL(AA8404) in bound and AA60 return. AA gold with 350,000 points. On cash+points business upgrade list for AA60 return, but told by AA rep JAL portion not even upgradeable with points+cash. Not to beat a dead horse from prior posts, but is this true? Any help appreciated.
Old Aug 18, 17, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EP
True. See posts above on possible paid upgrade at airport with jal directly

Originally Posted by Travelspaz View Post
New to the site. I am taking wife and daughter to Tokyo from ORD in December. Premium economy JAL(AA8404) in bound and AA60 return. AA gold with 350,000 points. On cash+points business upgrade list for AA60 return, but told by AA rep JAL portion not even upgradeable with points+cash. Not to beat a dead horse from prior posts, but is this true? Any help appreciated.
Old Aug 19, 17, 5:20 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Just to add a recent data point-

When checking in last month for FRA-NRT, I noticed a sign at the check-in counter with various options and prices for upgrades. So, depending on the route, paid upgrades (even outside of Japan domestic flights) are possible. The complication is the codeshare, since JAL's system definitely does not do well with AA-coded flights, at least in my experience.
Old Aug 19, 17, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA, HH
Originally Posted by Travelspaz View Post
I have been on many JL flights with AA codeshare, never got an upgrade or op-up. Now CX has given me the op-up 40-50% of the time but never on JL.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: