Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and ExpertFlyer "Expert Flyer" issues, questions (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA and ExpertFlyer Issues, Questions
Please keep this thread strictly related to AA and ExpertFlyer

For general questions about ExpertFlyer, please use ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk thread

If you are an ExpertFlyer customer or have questions about the product, you may email customercare <at> expertflyer.com, or you can mention <at>ExpertFlyer Voice, the EF representative on FT.

NOTE: This wikipost is locked
Print Wikipost

AA and ExpertFlyer "Expert Flyer" issues, questions (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:59 pm

Unfortunately, the GA's default response will assume you have zero knowledge from EF, then they get defensive once you call them out on this info.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:58 pm

Will EF send me an alert when MCE seat that I want will opens up? Disclaimer says no alerts for paid or premium or blocked seats. I wonder why is that?
It lets me create an alert but I’m sceptical
i will get it
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gateH15
Will EF send me an alert when MCE seat that I want will opens up? Disclaimer says no alerts for paid or premium or blocked seats. I wonder why is that?
It lets me create an alert but I’m sceptical
i will get it
Are you using the free service or do you have a subscription? The paid service definitely allows you to include or exclude paid/premium/blocked seats.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon

Are you using the free service or do you have a subscription? The paid service definitely allows you to include or exclude paid/premium/blocked seats.
I’m using paid service. When I toggle option to allow blocked seat as ON - all blocked seats are not available to be selected. Seems like a bug to me

Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:10 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by gateH15

I’m using paid service. When I toggle option to allow blocked seat as ON - all blocked seats are not available to be selected. Seems like a bug to me
Not a bug. If you don't want a Blocked seat status to alert you, then don't turn on the option to be alerted by Blocked seats. If you want to know when a Blocked seat goes from Blocked -> Available, then leave that option off.

Same for Premium/Paid seats. If you want to know if a seat goes from Blocked/Occupied to Premium or Paid, then turn those options on. Otherwise Seat Alerts will only alert you if the seat becomes simply Available. The exception is if you use the Select Specific Seat option to select the seat, then you'll be alerted about any status other than Blocked or Occupied by default.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
Not a bug. If you don't want a Blocked seat status to alert you, then don't turn on the option to be alerted by Blocked seats. If you want to know when a Blocked seat goes from Blocked -> Available, then leave that option off.

Same for Premium/Paid seats. If you want to know if a seat goes from Blocked/Occupied to Premium or Paid, then turn those options on. Otherwise Seat Alerts will only alert you if the seat becomes simply Available. The exception is if you use the Select Specific Seat option to select the seat, then you'll be alerted about any status other than Blocked or Occupied by default.
thanks. I guess I misunderstood what the toggle does. I’m setting alert for specific 2 seats that I want to get.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:29 am

I can't get anything out of EF right now for AA or BA. Did I forget to pay my bill, or is everyone else having problems?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by ShortDog
I can't get anything out of EF right now for AA or BA. Did I forget to pay my bill, or is everyone else having problems?
Seeing the same thing, just receiving an error message for AA searches.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I'm also getting the error and can't access my reservations on AA.com.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ShortDog
Originally Posted by CNMAZ
Seeing the same thing, just receiving an error message for AA searches.
Originally Posted by donotblink
I'm also getting the error and can't access my reservations on AA.com.
Probably best to follow in this thread:

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

I've generally found them to be pretty responsive when issues like this arise.

Regards
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EX PLAT
There is a system-wide Sabre outtage at the moment.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Doing a search for domestic awards on AA (for which I plan on using AAdvantage miles), I'm finding that EF results match perfectly with results on BA.com, and vary wildly from results on AA.com. Is this how it's always been, or has something gone awry?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:41 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by kalendil
Doing a search for domestic awards on AA (for which I plan on using AAdvantage miles), I'm finding that EF results match perfectly with results on BA.com, and vary wildly from results on AA.com. Is this how it's always been, or has something gone awry?
EF and likely BA are using live data from the host system whereas AA.com may be using cached data. However more specifics would help.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:54 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Apparent inconsistency between availability search and alert for same availability

I had an odd experience the other day with EF availability search and Alerts..
The J cabin was full (AA 314 on 3/24), and I had queries for availability and seat map, and an alert for J >=2.
Got the alert, and availability showed J2. All good. Called, they only saw J1, and availability showed only J1. Maybe someone grabbed it.
Still all reasonable. I took that seat. Set a new alert for J>=1.
Short time later, the the J >= 1 alert triggered, but availability (from the search) showed J0. Figured it was a glitch alert and reset the alert, it triggered again. Same thing. And a third time.
I called on the third time, and there really was J1. So the alert was right.But the availability search (presumably the same data source for the alert) was not.

As a side note the seat map (and we wll know that seat maps are not a good guide, but this is typically than an apparently open seat does not imply availability) showed completely full at all times. This was not Blocked, but Occupied. Usually that does mean occupied.

Pursued the with the EF team, but no ideas of what could have happened.

In the end, I guess the message is "believe the alerts even if the other data sources reported by EF seem inconsistent/" Worked for us here as we grabbed that second seat.

Cheers.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:16 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by brp
I had an odd experience the other day with EF availability search and Alerts..
The J cabin was full (AA 314 on 3/24), and I had queries for availability and seat map, and an alert for J >=2.
Got the alert, and availability showed J2. All good. Called, they only saw J1, and availability showed only J1. Maybe someone grabbed it.
Still all reasonable. I took that seat. Set a new alert for J>=1.
Short time later, the the J >= 1 alert triggered, but availability (from the search) showed J0. Figured it was a glitch alert and reset the alert, it triggered again. Same thing. And a third time.
I called on the third time, and there really was J1. So the alert was right.But the availability search (presumably the same data source for the alert) was not.

As a side note the seat map (and we wll know that seat maps are not a good guide, but this is typically than an apparently open seat does not imply availability) showed completely full at all times. This was not Blocked, but Occupied. Usually that does mean occupied.

Pursued the with the EF team, but no ideas of what could have happened.

In the end, I guess the message is "believe the alerts even if the other data sources reported by EF seem inconsistent/" Worked for us here as we grabbed that second seat.

Cheers.
This is not the case. The alerts are based on the same search results that you see when doing a Flight Availability or Award & Upgrade search, as we noted to you in our emails. It looks like married segments are the issue here, as that can cause differences in award inventory as the Flight Alerts for a specific segments vs your manual search that includes connecting segments. We see that your searches were for a different city pair than AA 314 is for, which means that you were comparing the results of two different searches (manual & alert) and wondering why they weren't the same, that's why.

There is no difference between the Flight Availabiltiy search and the alerts if you are searching for the same airport pair as the same flight number of the alert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.