Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and ExpertFlyer "Expert Flyer" issues, questions (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA and ExpertFlyer Issues, Questions
Please keep this thread strictly related to AA and ExpertFlyer

For general questions about ExpertFlyer, please use ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk thread

If you are an ExpertFlyer customer or have questions about the product, you may email customercare <at> expertflyer.com, or you can mention <at>ExpertFlyer Voice, the EF representative on FT.

NOTE: This wikipost is locked
Print Wikipost

AA and ExpertFlyer "Expert Flyer" issues, questions (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Is there any way around married segments for upgrades? I'm looking at a ticket booked into J HKG-LAX-JFK. HKG-LAX and LAX-JFK both have "A" upgrade space individually; however, not when you search HKG-JFK via LAX. Is there a way to book so that they appear to be separate segments and not "married?"
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has AA even said you can’t upgrade those legs? Word is married segments only really apply to award flights not upgrades.
You could try asking them to just upgrade LAX-HKG first and see if that works.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I don't have much experience with AA award availability and have a question. I'm seeing availability on AA metal via AA search but on EF those seats are not coming up. Is it typical that AA would offer more seats to AA members vs EF or BA or other partners?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:56 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Has AA even said you can’t upgrade those legs? Word is married segments only really apply to award flights not upgrades.
You could try asking them to just upgrade LAX-HKG first and see if that works.
That is correct, upgrade inventory is per segment.

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I don't have much experience with AA award availability and have a question. I'm seeing availability on AA metal via AA search but on EF those seats are not coming up. Is it typical that AA would offer more seats to AA members vs EF or BA or other partners?
The inventory is the same. If the option that AA.com is showing you has a long connection then that might be the issue. You can add a connecting city in the EF award search and change the time of day. If you need further help email us the specifics because without them we're just guessing.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm currently paid First (I) domestic and I'm hoping to same day flight change, however the ideal flight is currently sold out. It's showing 8 available F seats, but it's a 788, so with the ongoing refit, AA isn't releasing those seats until close in to departure.

What inventory alert should I set in this situation?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe for first class SDFC on AA you need the same inventory you are ticketed in, so I class.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Odd ExpertFlyer F seat sale information AA5 DFW-HNL 5 Jun 2019

Am travelling DFW-HNL on June 5th on AA5. Was fiddling about with it and noticed this:

J0 D0 I0 W3 P0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7
V7 S0 N7 Q0 O0

Yet when I pull up the seat map, the cabin is half empty.

Should I be concerned, or are there a bunch of "First" passengers who don't have an assigned seat yet?

Last edited by Gildas; Feb 22, 2019 at 10:33 pm Reason: added image
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gildas
Yet when I pull up the seat map, the cabin is half empty.

Should I be concerned, or are there a bunch of "First" passengers who don't have an assigned seat yet?
No. Not all people select seats
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Gildas
Am travelling DFW-HNL on June 5th on AA5. Was fiddling about with it and noticed this...
It's certainly possible that every J seat is sold, and many passengers are awaiting a seat assignment. There are absolutely plausible scenarios that could result in that being the case. But it's unlikely.

It's also possible that Y and/or W are oversold. But that's also unlikely.

The most likely explanation here is that revenue management has a much more intricate reason for restricting J inventory at this time, and you'll probably never find out what that reason is. I'd bet big bucks that you'll see additional J open up at some point prior to the day of departure.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Is it possible that they're downgaging it to the retrofitted 787 with a lower number of J seats, but haven't loaded the equipment swap yet?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by donotblink
Is it possible that they're downgaging it to the retrofitted 787 with a lower number of J seats, but haven't loaded the equipment swap yet?
Possibly, but seems like something else is going on here... there aren't just 8 seats open on the map (28 to 20J), there are 22 open.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
It's married segment availability on paid tickets. There have been several examples of this posted on here over the past few months, for DFW in particular, where DFW-XXX is J0 but if you're connecting the flight is J7. On 6/5, the early DFW-HNL is J7 while the later flight in question is J0. AA is basically restricting DFW originating pax that want to buy J to the early flight. However if you're not originating in DFW then the flight is J7, below I searched RDU-HNL for example.

sdsearch likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Thank you!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
BA Award Availability not properly showing on EF

Not sure if this properly belongs in AA or BA, so please move if appropriate.

I am trying to book LHR-CDG on BA using AAdvantage. Currently, the only flight available is the evening flight, both in coach and business (same availability shows on aa.com and ba.com). However, EF doesn't show availability on any flights that day in X or U. I want to set up an EF alert for the earlier flights, but I don't have confidence that EF will show the availability since it doesn't see the available space on the evening flight. I am EXP (though I don't think that matters here since I can see the availability on aa.com even if not logged in).

You can try yourself to see the issue - June 1 LHR-CDG

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Not sure if this properly belongs in AA or BA, so please move if appropriate.

I am trying to book LHR-CDG on BA using AAdvantage. Currently, the only flight available is the evening flight, both in coach and business (same availability shows on aa.com and ba.com). However, EF doesn't show availability on any flights that day in X or U. I want to set up an EF alert for the earlier flights, but I don't have confidence that EF will show the availability since it doesn't see the available space on the evening flight. I am EXP (though I don't think that matters here since I can see the availability on aa.com even if not logged in).

You can try yourself to see the issue - June 1 LHR-CDG

Any thoughts?
@ExpertFlyer Voice should bring attention to this, but you can also use ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread
HofstraJet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.