Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and ExpertFlyer "Expert Flyer" issues, questions (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA and ExpertFlyer Issues, Questions
Please keep this thread strictly related to AA and ExpertFlyer

For general questions about ExpertFlyer, please use ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk thread

If you are an ExpertFlyer customer or have questions about the product, you may email customercare <at> expertflyer.com, or you can mention <at>ExpertFlyer Voice, the EF representative on FT.

NOTE: This wikipost is locked
Print Wikipost

AA and ExpertFlyer "Expert Flyer" issues, questions (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: United Platinum, American EXP
Originally Posted by rjw242
A similar issue was reported last month:
ExpertFlyer vs AA Discrepancies this morning

EF company rep said the problem could be on the AA.com side due to "caching." Doesn't explain why the phone rep also saw no availability in that case, though.
Interesting. Thanks for the link. Just called the EXP desk. They said that there are seats available in all classes GRU-JFK tonight. Said that I had a good chance of clearing. Seems to me that the problem is on the AA side specifically its website (and how that links with google flights). To review: aa.com is not selling seats in any classes on 950 tonight, neither is google flights, EF shows availability, and the EXP desk said that there were still "several" seats in J available for sale. Your comment about the phone rep above confuses me. I hadn't previously talked to a phone rep.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 38,000feet
Interesting. Thanks for the link. Just called the EXP desk. They said that there are seats available in all classes GRU-JFK tonight. Said that I had a good chance of clearing. Seems to me that the problem is on the AA side specifically its website (and how that links with google flights). To review: aa.com is not selling seats in any classes on 950 tonight, neither is google flights, EF shows availability, and the EXP desk said that there were still "several" seats in J available for sale. Your comment about the phone rep above confuses me. I hadn't previously talked to a phone rep.
I was referring to the case in the other thread. In that situation, AA.com and the EXP line both said there was no availability, even though it showed on ExpertFlyer.

If AA.com shows no inventory but EF and the phone agents both see it, then it seems much more likely to be some sort of cache issue with AA.com.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by 38,000feet
I'm flying GRU-JFK on AA 950 tonight. I have an SWU waitlisted for Y to J. Expert flyer lists F4 J7 Y4, but the upgrade still hasn't cleared.
You should be looking for C inventory using EF, anything else is just second-guessing AA revenue management.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Mark_T
You should be looking for C inventory using EF, anything else is just second-guessing AA revenue management.

You're of course technically correct on J vs. C . That said, though I'm not a betting man, I'd be willing to wager that if GRU-JFK is J7 at T<24 AA will eventually process all listed upgrade on this route (in this economy).

Still, I think the bigger story here is that it appears that a bug in AA's systems is causing AA to fail to use the internet to sell available, lucrative last minute seats. I noticed this same issue on recent JFK-LAX and BOS-LAX flights too. Multiple seats open in J/F not for sale on the internet and relatedly a delay in the processing of upgrades.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Mark_T
The flight is today and the SWU is already waitlisted. The upgrade will probably be processed before any C inventory shows up in EF.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
I have seen the same issue with AA.com for JFK-LAX flights in mid-September. Many of the mid-day flights are surprisingly already sold out in F / J (maybe there was a frequency reduction causing re-booking?) but a few seats in F according to EF. AA.com couldn't sell me a seat but I could buy a seat in F on those flights via OTA.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:56 am

update: Got a C availability email at T=4. Called but couldn't snag the space in time. I'm not sure how many slots opened. Thankfully, I got upgraded Y->J along 12 with others. All occurred with T<2. Seems like a lot of seats to not be selling on the web.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HIlton Gold
Just happened to me. Expertflyer showing C1 tomorrow (9/9) flight 98. Agent says there is no availability. I'm on one of AA's dumb 'direct' flights - 98 TUS-ORD, 5 hour layover, then ORD-LHR. These have caused upgrade problems in the past.

When I force Expertflyer to show the direct flight it is J0. Looking at individual segments A4, J7, C1.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gcsmith
Just happened to me. Expertflyer showing C1 tomorrow (9/9) flight 98. Agent says there is no availability. I'm on one of AA's dumb 'direct' flights - 98 TUS-ORD, 5 hour layover, then ORD-LHR. These have caused upgrade problems in the past.

When I force Expertflyer to show the direct flight it is J0. Looking at individual segments A4, J7, C1.
If you are booked TUS-LHR as a single sector, then the individual segment availability is irrelevent, what is needed is through availability. It does not sound like there is any discrepency between EF and AA in this case
Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HIlton Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you are booked TUS-LHR as a single sector, then the individual segment availability is irrelevent, what is needed is through availability. It does not sound like there is any discrepency between EF and AA in this case
You are kind of correct, it wasn't an Expertflyer problem. I didn't think it was when I posted, but if others find this thread I want them to be aware of what else could cause this. But it is an AA problem. It is not possible to have through availability in business from Tucson to London. Domestic on 99% of routes doesn't have J/C. And 772 doesn't have F/A.

In any case, I called back a couple hours later when I had more time, explained to the agent that the flight number was the same, and he had the fare department move this through. I had to pay another $4.50 in TSA fees as they manipulated the ticket to seem like a stopover.

AA needs to stop the fake direct flight manipulation. I knew when I booked the ticket this was likely to happen. I also was not able to list for a complimentary EXP upgrade on TUS-ORD when booking the flight. 5 hour layover and equipment change in no way = direct flight. I guess they've run out of flight numbers or something. I suspect my first agent was legacy US as I specifically asked her to check just the ORD-LHR segment and when she said no C I politely disengaged.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 12:52 pm

ExpertFlyer: AS Overselling AA first class flight?

I was checking availability on EF and saw something very strange:

AA 31 from LAX to HNL on 9/24 shows F5. Seat map also shows 5 empty F seats.

However, AS6311 (codeshare for AA 31) shows F7.

Has anyone else seen this?

What would happen in the scenario that all F pax show?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I doubt it would ticket if AS is showing phantom availability, which could be due to a delay in their systems updating if AA recently sold seats to bring the flight down to F5 availability.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
PHL - CDG - ExpertFlyer - 10/14

If someone is willing and has time, and has ExpertFlyer access, can you let me know how many Business-Class seats remain today for the PHL-CDG flight? (AA754)

Thanks in advance!
-Matt
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Right now it's J2.

You can figure this out without ExpertFlyer, just make a dummy booking for PHL-CDG at aa.com. Start with the max 6 passengers, and work your way down until it show's availability.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:45 am

AA754 - J2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.