FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA and ExpertFlyer "Expert Flyer" issues, questions (master thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1638770-aa-expertflyer-expert-flyer-issues-questions-master-thread.html)

MIAFlyer Jul 30, 2016 12:49 pm

They will also reduce F capacity if Y is getting full.

apeortdz Jul 30, 2016 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 26990797)
Could AA have been expecting IROPs so that they would need to rebook FC passengers onto your flight?

It did not appear that IRROPS were likely (at least to me).

Originally Posted by MIAFlyer (Post 26990809)

That is what I was thinking.

JonNYC Jul 30, 2016 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by MIAFlyer (Post 26990809)

Definitely. "Cabin borrowing"

MrAndy1369 Jul 30, 2016 1:28 pm

Does AA still hold back 1-2 F seats for sale and/or IRROPS, btw, until around ~30 minutes before departure? I know pmAA used to do that, but pmUS didn't.

whatupbovice Jul 30, 2016 7:37 pm

Someone mentioned this happening in the "has AA eliminated the upgrade window" thread and there was speculation that AA has begun artificially decreasing F availability in order to hold back upgrades

rjw242 Jul 30, 2016 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by whatupbovice (Post 26992133)
Someone mentioned this happening in the "has AA eliminated the upgrade window" thread and there was speculation that AA has begun artificially decreasing F availability in order to hold back upgrades

Doesn't seem like there'd be any point to messing with F availability for that purpose. If they want to hold back upgrades, they can just hold back upgrades.

ThreeJulietTango Jul 30, 2016 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 (Post 26990918)
Does AA still hold back 1-2 F seats for sale and/or IRROPS, btw, until around ~30 minutes before departure? I know pmAA used to do that, but pmUS didn't.

Hold back from upgrades, yes. Within 4 hours of departure an agent must manually process the upgrade regardless.

Originally Posted by rjw242 (Post 26992145)
Doesn't seem like there'd be any point to messing with F availability for that purpose. If they want to hold back upgrades, they can just hold back upgrades.

Agreed. There's virtually never any X or R inventory anyway except for split seconds when upgrades clear.

teemuflyer Jul 31, 2016 6:15 am

F5 Yet only 3 Unassigned Seats

Not sure how this happens.

I'm looking at AA 73 on Aug 24th, and EF is showing F5 but looking at the seat map, it only shows 3 unassigned seats in F??

millionmiler Jul 31, 2016 6:52 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer (Post 26993326)
Not sure how this happens.

I'm looking at AA 73 on Aug 24th, and EF is showing F5 but looking at the seat map, it only shows 3 unassigned seats in F??

Seats can get blocked for more reasons than a confirmed passenger.

teemuflyer Jul 31, 2016 7:01 am

Originally Posted by millionmiler (Post 26993395)
Seats can get blocked for more reasons than a confirmed passenger.

Get that, but F5 means that there is more inventory for sale than there is "indicated" space, and AA generally speaking doesn't oversell F, especially on Int'l routes.

sdsearch Jul 31, 2016 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer (Post 26993421)
Get that, but F5 means that there is more inventory for sale than there is "indicated" space, and AA generally speaking doesn't oversell F, especially on Int'l routes.

Yes, but for example 3 seats could be blocked simply because they might not know which 2 of those 3 seats would be available and which one wouldn't be available at flight time. So they would have to block all 3 from advance seat assignment, but that wouldn't mean that 2 of those 3 cannot be sold.

Seat maps are not a good judgement (in either direction) of how many seats are actually available for booking. There are many reasons why a seat map may show more seats than are available for sale, and there are several reasons why a seat map may show less seats than are available for sale.

38,000feet Aug 26, 2016 5:11 am

Discrepancy between aa.com vs. Expert Flyer

I'm flying GRU-JFK on AA 950 tonight. I have an SWU waitlisted for Y to J. Expert flyer lists F4 J7 Y4, but the upgrade still hasn't cleared. An unusual delay IME. In addition, if I search for F, J, or Y availability on the flight using aa.com or google.com/flights I find no availability at all. Any idea why this might be or what I should do? Another interesting datapoint is that aa.com says it has just 2 seats available in J for 962, GRU-DFW but EF lists J7.

rjw242 Aug 26, 2016 5:16 am

Originally Posted by 38,000feet (Post 27121683)
Another interesting datapoint is that aa.com says it has just 2 seats available in J for 962, GRU-DFW but EF lists J7.

If you mean AA.com says something like "Only 2 seats left" on the page where you select flights, all that means is there are 2 seats left at that price. There could be more at a higher price. If you're going off the seat map, some seats might be blocked for selection until check-in for some reason.

As for what you should do, I'd say just wait and see if you clear the upgrade. Not much you can proactively do, especially on the day of departure.

38,000feet Aug 26, 2016 5:22 am

Yes, it says "only two seats left." Good to know that that isn't what I thought it was. The rest of the above is not based on seat maps at all, but rather on EF results. Any insights on the discrepancy between EF and aa.com on 950? EF says there is space and aa.com isn't selling anything in all classes. I fly this flight often and I'm fairly confident that if J were truly > 4 on day of departure I would have been upgraded ages ago. I fear that this is an EF bug, but want to rule out some AA based explanation.

rjw242 Aug 26, 2016 5:27 am

Originally Posted by 38,000feet (Post 27121716)
Any insights on the discrepancy between EF and aa.com on 950? EF says there is space and aa.com isn't selling anything in all classes.

A similar issue was reported last month:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-morning.html

EF company rep said the problem could be on the AA.com side due to "caching." Doesn't explain why the phone rep also saw no availability in that case, though.