Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and ExpertFlyer "Expert Flyer" issues, questions (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA and ExpertFlyer Issues, Questions
Please keep this thread strictly related to AA and ExpertFlyer

For general questions about ExpertFlyer, please use ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk thread

If you are an ExpertFlyer customer or have questions about the product, you may email customercare <at> expertflyer.com, or you can mention <at>ExpertFlyer Voice, the EF representative on FT.

NOTE: This wikipost is locked
Print Wikipost

AA and ExpertFlyer "Expert Flyer" issues, questions (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Well I have certainly seen J5C2 and yet when I called in nothing was available - the agent was very sweet and tried multiple times (she quite accepted that I could see something implying C2, without ever asking me why I believed that). After the call I looked on aa.com at booking the flight anew and no 'Systemwide Upgrades' flag appeared. EF continued to show C2 for about 24 hours. My upgrade cleared another 24 hours later.

So, I don't know how it happens but it is definitely possible for EF to show C2 when C is actually 0 - over a long period. Personally I blame bugs in AA's married segment logic (which also seems to play merry hell with Premium Economy availability, but that's a different thread).
Keep in mind that what AA sends to EF is the same thing it sends to travel agencies.

But I don't think travel agencies have any means to act on C class.

So AA may "publishing" C capacity in a non-useful-to-us way. C2 may for example simply mean "2 C seats either are either available or are tied up in pending upgrades". For true availability "transparency", you would need a separate count of upgrades still available and a separate count of upgrades at pending status and a separate count of upgrades processed, but AA does not have enough letters (witness how they had to repurpose "B" about a year ago because they were out of letters), and so they cannot publish full details of the upgrade process through the flight availability bucket code letter method.
flyalways likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Keep in mind that what AA sends to EF is the same thing it sends to travel agencies.

But I don't think travel agencies have any means to act on C class.

So AA may "publishing" C capacity in a non-useful-to-us way. C2 may for example simply mean "2 C seats either are either available or are tied up in pending upgrades". For true availability "transparency", you would need a separate count of upgrades still available and a separate count of upgrades at pending status and a separate count of upgrades processed, but AA does not have enough letters (witness how they had to repurpose "B" about a year ago because they were out of letters), and so they cannot publish full details of the upgrade process through the flight availability bucket code letter method.
Well this could explain what I experienced with a "false" alert for C space ! In future I will not get
very excited about getting a C space alert because it may not guarantee an upgrade !!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by flyalways
Well this could explain what I experienced with a "false" alert for C space ! In future I will not get
very excited about getting a C space alert because it may not guarantee an upgrade !!
I don't believe this explanation, precisely because of this response. If C were being reported to EF even when it isn't actually accessible, then there would be many reports of erroneous data. My experience is that 99% of the time EF's reporting of C>0 availability is accurate - the fact that I quoted an example of it being wrong is to show that it can indeed be wrong, but it doesn't change my basic trust in EF.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:44 am

Rarity of C Spots in ExpertFlyer Searches for US to Asia/NZ/Aus

Am I doing something wrong or are those C upgrades for USA to Asia/Australia/NewZealand extremely rare? I searched from 1-6 months out from today and only found maybe 5 total (except Seoul had more), so I wanted to check that I am not doing the search wrong and that they are truly that rare.

For this sort Do most people just roll the dice and hope it upgrades at some point after booking?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Nope, that's the situation. You'll have to waitlist for the upgrade and hope for the best.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:05 pm

Thanks. That's lame. now I feel bamboozled by AA

1) Whereas it seems most EF subscribers have only a small window to look at, my schedule is very flexible (although I can't travel less than 3 weeks out) so that's months of possible flights and therefore hundreds of alerts to make on EF... is there a better way to do this search for these rare C spots at booking?

2) Alternatively, is there a way to know which days are the most likely to clear? I'd guess Tue or Wed departures offhand but I'm a noob. DFW/ORD to NRT/HKG seem to be the most common longhaul segments for my route.

Last edited by noobalert; Jan 20, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by noobalert

Nothing to feel bamboozled about. I used six SWU's in 2018 and all six cleared on long haul international routes.

I tend to book at last minute to see what they have. If you're booking far out, you should read the threads on FT for specific routes that have more information. It's obviously easier to read the loads on flights closer in.

SWU's are hard to clear to SYD and AKL. Lots of demand on those flights for paid business. But, my SWU's cleared both ways on a SYD trip. DFW-HKG is a tough route. LAX-HKG is way better. LAX to LHR is tough but I've cleared on that. DFW/ORD to LHR are better.

And ... welcome to FT!
chitink likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:08 pm

Any insight into ORD vs DFW to NRT vs HKG
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Nothing to feel bamboozled about. I used six SWU's in 2018 and all six cleared on long haul international routes.
Ditto - I have never missed a SWU request during my several years as EXP. Was 9/9 last year and just today cleared for a DFW-ICN flight tomorrow. I just book the flights I need or want to be on, and let the SWUs fall out where they may. I don't bother with EF.

OP: SWU trends is a guessing game. DFW-HKG is generally believed to be one of the toughest routes in the system. DFW-NRT might be slightly better than ORD-NRT, if only because there are more seats DFW-NRT (2x AA, 1x JL) than ORD (1x JL, non-daily AA). Your rolling EQD total is a key factor here.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Rolling EQD is definitely a factor. I had $35K in 2018 so I think that has me generally at the top of the upgrade list.

Unless you're a higher spend EXP, DFW-HKG is a long shot. Much better to go LAX-HKG. There are definitely threads here on different routes and its worth reading through FT for ideas and info.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:16 pm

Its completely reasonable to want and expect upgrades to clear far enough in advance to make a purchase choice based on the inventory. That used to be the way it worked. In fact, long ago the upgrades were not even capacity controlled.

Its not like AA makes that transparent. If anything they lead new customers to believe the opposite. From your comment above I read that their scheme worked. They got you to be a loyal customer without having to deliver what you thought was going to be valuable in exchange. They get what they want before you even realize that you will not get what you want. That is very definition of the Aadvantage program these days.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:18 pm

Thanks. That's lame. now I feel bamboozled by AA.
I don’t see why you feel “bamboozled”. Did AA say they clear when you want? Do any of their correspondence say this?

OP not to dog on you, but I am going to dog on you. You did not read the rules. You “assumed” something and are now disappointed. The older I get the more I read everything closely so I am not disappointed. I have never been the most detail oriented person but I keep trying.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by millionmiler
Its completely reasonable to want and expect upgrades to clear far enough in advance to make a purchase choice based on the inventory. That used to be the way it worked. In fact, long ago the upgrades were not even capacity controlled.

Its not like AA makes that transparent. If anything they lead new customers to believe the opposite. From your comment above I read that their scheme worked. They got you to be a loyal customer without having to deliver what you thought was going to be valuable in exchange. They get what they want before you even realize that you will not get what you want. That is very definition of the Aadvantage program these days.
The economy is strong and there is lots of corporate travel. I was on an evening flight into LAX on an E175 ... with the exception of me, everyone in F was catching a flight on AA to Sydney, Hong Kong, and Narita for business travel. So, I expect AA to maximize their revenue by holding back C inventory.

But ... all my trips are clearing, just close in. I did have a couple in 2017 that didn't clear. But ...going from the US to Europe in the summer ....
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: CK or bust
This is not new and barring a major shift at AA, will not likely be changing anytime soon.

Even advanced confirmation SWUs domestically can be a challenge depending on the route.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by shaddie

I don’t see why you feel “bamboozled”. Did AA say they clear when you want? Do any of their correspondence say this?

OP not to dog on you, but I am going to dog on you. You did not read the rules. You “assumed” something and are now disappointed. The older I get the more I read everything closely so I am not disappointed. I have never been the most detail oriented person but I keep trying.
well they certainly don’t say to expect the current situation- be prepared to fly coach if you want to use them. And on every flight they announce that the signup bonus on credit cards is enough for two tickets anywhere in the continental US. And there is nothing in writing that says that’s only true if you are willing to accept a redeye followed by an 11 hour layover, or two connections to fly lax-dfw.

Aadvantage marketing is BS and I understand why the OP feels bamboozled. They came as close to lying about awards as possible.
millionmiler likes this.

Last edited by beachfan; Jan 21, 2019 at 10:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.