Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

NOTE: Changed flight numbers from 137 / 138 to AA 125 / 126 Nov 2016

This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades /SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the DFW-HKG route.

General discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes can be found here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions
Print Wikipost

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by MiamiFlyer
Sorry, but I have been told the same thing (SWU cancelled if you don't call in within 72 hours), and by more than one agent. Currently in HKG waiting for J on AA138/10Feb. I keep checking the reservation online, waiting for the "contact AA reservations". My only other alternative is to call back to the USA EXP desk every few hours, but that is an expensive alternative.
Damn I was hoping this was just a misinformed agent when they told me this.. sounds like it has some weight to this now. I'm also on AA138/10Feb and not cleared yet, just called about an hour ago. Requested in July, when was yours?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
Originally Posted by frudd38
Damn I was hoping this was just a misinformed agent when they told me this.. sounds like it has some weight to this now. I'm also on AA138/10Feb and not cleared yet, just called about an hour ago. Requested in July, when was yours?
I think November, so color me in coach (at least it's MCE). However, I wish you good luck - simply too many EXP's on this run.

Wonder what it is going to be like on the new 787 speculated route to Asia? Color that one impossible.

Last edited by MiamiFlyer; Feb 8, 2015 at 11:08 pm Reason: update 787 destination
Old Feb 9, 2015, 2:58 am

I think November, so color me in coach (at least it's MCE). However, I wish you good luck - simply too many EXP's on this run.

Wonder what it is going to be like on the new 787 speculated route to Asia? Color that one impossible.
Looks like I just auto cleared, contradicitng the 72 hr call in. AA you so ambiguous.

Edit: Well I called in to get my DFW-LAX processed since the HKG-DFW swu "cleared" (which is another issue since it isn't auto) and the agent said he had to process HKG-DFW as well since it wasn't "confirmed" yet lol.. ridiculous. It seems true since I never got a new e-ticket for my "cleared" swu. I guess one should always call in regardless what online says unless you got a new e-ticket.

Last edited by frudd38; Feb 9, 2015 at 3:28 am
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:22 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by frudd38
Looks like I just auto cleared, contradicitng the 72 hr call in. AA you so ambiguous.
Congrats, but that is not exactly how I was told it works. What they said was that you have 72 hours after the PNR says contact AA reservations (i.e. the upgrade has cleared, but seat has not been assigned and reticketing has not occurred). Was told that if you did not contact AA within 72 hours of notification, upgrade allocation was cancelled. Have no idea what is true anymore, as many things are changing. Has anyone else carefully read the insert they put in with your new ExecPlat card for this year? Notice any other changes compared to inserts from previous years?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:28 am

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by anandrag
Any (anecdotal) evidence of people who were upgraded at booking? Have to believe that if booked enough in advance, there must be some seats open. Like booking now for Nov or so
I booked 7/30/15 with SWU request up to J in September - no dice on clearing
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:39 am

Congrats, but that is not exactly how I was told it works. What they said was that you have 72 hours after the PNR says contact AA reservations (i.e. the upgrade has cleared, but seat has not been assigned and reticketing has not occurred). Was told that if you did not contact AA within 72 hours of notification, upgrade allocation was cancelled. Have no idea what is true anymore, as many things are changing. Has anyone else carefully read the insert they put in with your new ExecPlat card for this year? Notice any other changes compared to inserts from previous years?
As I mentioned previously, I was told the exact same thing last week for my outbound flight. From what I can tell just now, it actually seems to have been the same thing when I just called in now (from my edited post above). This is sounding more like a new, idiotic rule.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 4:27 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Booked a RT IAH-DFW-HKG on 1/6/15 for 2/4-2/11. Upgrade outbound cleared about 72 hours before departure and I was able to confirm return upgrade at T-48. Interestingly, I got the notification from EF that C was available before AA upgraded me. The phone agent took care of it manually. My other RT from IAH-HKG cleared as well in October.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:18 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Not doubting what you have been told but that just sounds like a recipe for disaster in the upgrade process.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:37 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by mcgahat
Not doubting what you have been told but that just sounds like a recipe for disaster in the upgrade process.
Yep. The one constant is change, and this is the first international upgrade I have missed in over a dozen years. Still waiting for someone to comment on 500 mile upgrades that now expire after a certain date (or did I misread that?)
Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Uh, no. "Y/B EXP purchased tickets go ahead of EXP"

NO. It's Y/B within elite tier.
Perfect.
Let's carve it in stone.

JonNYC: Will you weigh in on the EF, C availability.. "sneak ahead in line stuff"?

Originally Posted by reeg2
If you see C2 - call AA immediately and at times, you can jump the queue. This is one of the great values of EF's notifications, not only for your own Y seat to get early notice of clearing but also to potentially see C inventory before the automated sweeps.
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Happens all the time. Call and ask, and the EXP phone agent will sometimes clear you while you wait.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zznoname
Perfect.
Let's carve it in stone.

JonNYC: Will you weigh in on the EF, C availability.. "sneak ahead in line stuff"?
I'm a'gonna stay away from that one.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'm a'gonna stay away from that one.
No, no, no no.. No staying away. Next, you have to debunk the 72 hour re-confirm UG thingy.

Humm?

Wait...

WHAT!!!???

A no comment, comment! It's TRUE?

The horror.

Not "Apocalypse Now", Brando horror, but a really bad thing nonetheless.

Ambiguity breeds dissent. And in this case, more work/checking/uncertainty.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:55 pm
Suspended

it's rare, but it's true

Originally Posted by zznoname
No, no, no no.. No staying away. Next, you have to debunk the 72 hour re-confirm UG thingy.
That one I -can- address although not debunk.

There IS such 72 hour language on this-- not clear to me under exactly what circumstances (and it is rare), but, the AAgents saying it and those reporting it are certainly not making it up:

Posted text of it on TB:

http://www.travelingbetter.com/showt...3112#post43112
Old Feb 9, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Just a data point. I was able to upgrade a friend (my ex, actually) from economy to business using an SWU going HKG-DFW last month on the 12th. It was requested a month ahead of time, but didn't clear until T minus less than 24 hours.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by arabiamark
(my ex, actually)
You probably could have just called to withdraw the SWUs and blame it on the loads

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.