Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

NOTE: Changed flight numbers from 137 / 138 to AA 125 / 126 Nov 2016

This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades /SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the DFW-HKG route.

General discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes can be found here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions
Print Wikipost

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by donotblink
I’m about to do an inter-Asia flight from Osaka to Hong Kong to LAX and I’m really freaked out about the political situation there right now.
I just returned via HKG a few days ago, and will be connecting there again in a few days. There is nothing to worry about the airport. You can notice that most immigration lanes (to enter the city) are empty, but the transfer lanes and the airport itself in general are buzzing.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I arrived today and it was super easy and fast to clear the airport and being on the AE within 20 mins.

Noted the extra police presence indeed. But there just as many in plain clothes too.

MTA shutting down tonight at 10 PM. Let’s see how things go tonight and this weekend.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 4:23 am

SpeedRicer Just wanted to check in with you regarding your upgrade request for HKG-LAX... Are you leaving Sunday or Monday evening? Is it a SWU request? It clear yet? Just curious... I leave Tuesday and there are even more J seats "available" than last week and my SWU is still on hold.

Maybe at some point tomorrow (Sunday) I'll get an update... fingers crossed... Day 2 here in HKG and no turmoil. Sucks that MTA is closing at 10 PM now and some MTA stops are being skipped still...
Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
SpeedRicer Just wanted to check in with you regarding your upgrade request for HKG-LAX... Are you leaving Sunday or Monday evening? Is it a SWU request? It clear yet? Just curious... I leave Tuesday and there are even more J seats "available" than last week and my SWU is still on hold.

Maybe at some point tomorrow (Sunday) I'll get an update... fingers crossed... Day 2 here in HKG and no turmoil. Sucks that MTA is closing at 10 PM now and some MTA stops are being skipped still...
Mine was on Monday (it was HKG-DFW) and it hadn't cleared as of yesterday -- but I ended up cancelling as I'm in Sydney at the moment and need to do SYD-LAX instead...

I had one flight a while back where the SWU never automatically processed at T-30 despite there being inventory, because of an issue in the ticket. Between that and a few times where the EXP agent never requested the waitlist properly initially (like on this last request), I make it a point to call in and check at the T-48 or T-24 mark just in case, if there seems to be a lot of seats available. I would wait until T-48 and check back if nothing has cleared by then -- once or twice, I've seen AA still take the waitlist to the airport even when there's plenty of seats (maybe due to an oversold Y cabin, etc.).
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by SpeedRicer
Mine was on Monday (it was HKG-DFW) and it hadn't cleared as of yesterday -- but I ended up cancelling as I'm in Sydney at the moment and need to do SYD-LAX instead...

I had one flight a while back where the SWU never automatically processed at T-30 despite there being inventory, because of an issue in the ticket. Between that and a few times where the EXP agent never requested the waitlist properly initially (like on this last request), I make it a point to call in and check at the T-48 or T-24 mark just in case, if there seems to be a lot of seats available. I would wait until T-48 and check back if nothing has cleared by then -- once or twice, I've seen AA still take the waitlist to the airport even when there's plenty of seats (maybe due to an oversold Y cabin, etc.).

Thanks... Just crossed over the threshold of T-36 hours. Still slowly seats are starting to become occupied in J. Lots of open seats in Y too. My upgrade requests look good I'm told. Just have to wait for RM to do their thing.

Maybe AA is waiting to see how thing going within the next day or two with regards to the political situation here. Last night turmoil flared at two spots not far from my hotel. Both are still issues this AM. But you'd not know it looking out the windows here, people are going about life with their morning commutes underway this Monday morning.

Last edited by Zacnlinc; Nov 17, 2019 at 5:10 pm
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:30 am

Looking to SWU from J-F in 2 weeks on 125. Right now EF is showing F4 J0.

One might think the AA rev management algorithm would want to bump a couple J pax into F now (especially if there are waitlisted SWU passengers) to free up a couple more business class seats to sell.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dave_261
Looking to SWU from J-F in 2 weeks on 125. Right now EF is showing F4 J0.

One might think the AA rev management algorithm would want to bump a couple J pax into F now (especially if there are waitlisted SWU passengers) to free up a couple more business class seats to sell.
I have had no problem going from J to F at booking.. so maybe that helps passengers trying to go from Coach to J?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by fotographer
I have had no problem going from J to F at booking.. so maybe that helps passengers trying to go from Coach to J?
I should have pointed out that I'm waitlisted from J-F with F4J0. My thought is that they sell many more business seats than first, so if a human were looking at this, they (in theory) would think to move a couple J to F now (if there are SWU requests) to open up more J seats to sell.

ETA: Was bouncing around between F3J1, F4J1 or F4J0 for about 10 days w/ me on the waitlist for business to first. EF sent me an A-class availability alert at 1:33am (T-34) but interestingly it took me contacting CK desk around 6 hours later to push it through.
fotographer likes this.

Last edited by dave_261; Nov 30, 2019 at 10:24 am
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I am debating whether or not to use a SWU from J to F on this route. I really get value from my SWUs, but have four that will expire end of Jan. I can ask for an extension, but still don't think I can use all four by end of April. Convince me that an extra soup course and smaller FA to pax ratio is worth it. I so want to use it, but just can't fathom how AA F is worth it over J with such apathetic service 90% of the time.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I am debating whether or not to use a SWU from J to F on this route. I really get value from my SWUs, but have four that will expire end of Jan. I can ask for an extension, but still don't think I can use all four by end of April. Convince me that an extra soup course and smaller FA to pax ratio is worth it. I so want to use it, but just can't fathom how AA F is worth it over J with such apathetic service 90% of the time.
I have zero interest or motivation to "persuade" you but perhaps the choice isn't about "an extra soup course and smaller FA to pax ratio" but rather between the SWUs expiring worthless or being used for something.

Is it perhaps as simple as that? Obviously, if you think you can use them for better value before they expire then I don't think you need anonymous advice from the internet to tell you that you should do that.

Regards
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I just had the same internal argument and decided to use one. If you have time for flagship dining, there's that. And a bit bigger bed and mattress pad. And yes, the soup.

But in hindsight, I think I'd probably have been just as happy in a window business seat as a middle first seat. Row 1D was a strange spot where you have line-of-sight to the sitting FA all the time. A bit creepy actually.

That said, just do it. Better to use it than have it go to waste, especially if you can get a window seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.