Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

NOTE: Changed flight numbers from 137 / 138 to AA 125 / 126 Nov 2016

This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades /SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the DFW-HKG route.

General discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes can be found here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions
Print Wikipost

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM
EXP doing a status run 11/29 returning 12/1 DFW-HKG-TPE. It was +/- $450 cheaper to go on to TPE than to terminate in HKG. Booked last Thursday and my SWU cleared Friday for the outbound. :-). Hopefully will not have to wait too long for the inbound to clear.

Last edited by dfwrob; Nov 6, 2017 at 2:09 pm
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
You should have decent odds. Thursdays to HK are not peak times. Saturdays back might be, but definitely easier than Thursday or Friday.
Odd stuff often happens with SWUs. AA.com couldn't retrieve my record. Assumed my SWU was clearing. EF never alerted me to C availability. Logged in to AA.com today and it shows both a Y and J leg for DFW>HKG. Called the EXP desk. She confirmed I cleared for 11/30 from DFW>HKG and assigned my seat. She didn't see both legs on my record and the seat she assigned me is showing available. Any thoughts on this situation?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by mikebrooklyn
Odd stuff often happens with SWUs. AA.com couldn't retrieve my record. Assumed my SWU was clearing. EF never alerted me to C availability. Logged in to AA.com today and it shows both a Y and J leg for DFW>HKG. Called the EXP desk. She confirmed I cleared for 11/30 from DFW>HKG and assigned my seat. She didn't see both legs on my record and the seat she assigned me is showing available. Any thoughts on this situation?
Sounds like you cleared. Call AA and make sure it's reticketed.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I booked my trip to HKG on LAX HKG for sat night. Then I read from here that it is the toughest day of the week. Kind of make me worry.

But it seems that it has just cleared for Nov 18 (i think maybe because of next week is Thanksgiving, and less business travel?)

So happy. The inbound in March was cleared back in Oct already. Just one more upgrade to use before Jan 18... (but no travel plan)
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by pbd456
I booked my trip to HKG on LAX HKG for sat night. Then I read from here that it is the toughest day of the week. Kind of make me worry.

But it seems that it has just cleared for Nov 18 (i think maybe because of next week is Thanksgiving, and less business travel?)

So happy. The inbound in March was cleared back in Oct already. Just one more upgrade to use before Jan 18... (but no travel plan)
Congratulations! The headwinds have been very strong, so I'm sure the upgraded seat will be even more appreciated. This is a great route to get upgraded on.
geoshina likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456

Lucky, I’m on the LAX to HKG on 11/16 and I still haven’t cleared. The number of seats are slowing drying up.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:33 pm

What does this forum think about EF showing 1F, 0J but 9 open seats on 12/2 HKG>DFW. Do you think those are merely unassigned J passengers? Y on EF shows 7 in a few fare categories.

On ORD/JFK>LHR, I have seen similar things where my upgrade clears T-24 and more clear at the gate.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
What does this forum think about EF showing 1F, 0J but 9 open seats on 12/2 HKG>DFW. Do you think those are merely unassigned J passengers? Y on EF shows 7 in a few fare categories.

On ORD/JFK>LHR, I have seen similar things where my upgrade clears T-24 and more clear at the gate.
Here are my thoughts....

F1 with only 1 seat on seat map means that is all that’s left in F.

J1, but with 7s in most of the main cabin...combined with about 8 open seats in J and a large number open in Y...my gut tells me J is full too and that they are just unassigned.

Most of the time if Y is full/close to oversold (hence J is being blocked to accomodate upgrades or cabin roll) the lower fare buckets are not so open...oversold flights typically push passengers into those higher fare classes and the seat map is typically (but not always) a little more full. Add to that a lot of the “free” seats are still open, it doesn’t lend itself to passengers not picking a seat.

So, I’m thinking truly full in the front cabins. YMMV.
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
Here are my thoughts....

F1 with only 1 seat on seat map means that is all that’s left in F.

J1, but with 7s in most of the main cabin...combined with about 8 open seats in J and a large number open in Y...my gut tells me J is full too and that they are just unassigned.

Most of the time if Y is full/close to oversold (hence J is being blocked to accomodate upgrades or cabin roll) the lower fare buckets are not so open...oversold flights typically push passengers into those higher fare classes and the seat map is typically (but not always) a little more full. Add to that a lot of the “free” seats are still open, it doesn’t lend itself to passengers not picking a seat.

So, I’m thinking truly full in the front cabins. YMMV.
That's my fear..no upgrades. Thanks for your perspective.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by tasty_chicken
Lucky, I’m on the LAX to HKG on 11/16 and I still haven’t cleared. The number of seats are slowing drying up.
good luck... there are still many empty seats on my 11/18 flight in J cabin. maybe not many were waitlisting for upgrade but the MCE cabin seems to have a good portion filled.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
That's my fear..no upgrades.
Possibly, but never give up till you look at the upgrade list on the boarding gate monitor. Good luck.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
On today's (Nov 21) flight. Still J2 about 3 hours before departure. Wife and I cleared yesterday morning HKG time. This is a much more nerve wrecking flight than the HKG-LAX one when it comes to UGs..
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by aktchi
Possibly, but never give up till you look at the upgrade list on the boarding gate monitor. Good luck.
So true...looks like they're running real low on Y seats now. They were showing 7 in 10 fare codes up until this morning. 1 F and 7 J seats are showing open with 1 and 2 for sale.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:04 pm

AA 125 today cleared 4 at the gate. Since booking my flight on 11/4, C only opened up in EF this morning with T-2 hours. My upgrade cleared the day after booking. One must assume that many other were upgraded between when I booked and today.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: AA
Why does AA sometimes make C available to the public (EF alert) before processing my upgrade?

En route to HKG EF found C available yet my upgrade remains uncleared. Thoughts?

This isn’t the first time I’ve seen this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.