How fast will SWU show up in account?

Old Dec 3, 14, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP Hilton Honors-PLT Admirals Club

I am flying international on AA in a week in which my first flight will put me over the 100k mark... renewing my EXP membership. I am currently out of SWU and will be flying back to the US 4 days later. I would prefer to use a SWU vs miles/ copay on the way home... Will the SWU show up as soon as the flight milage is added to my AA account? If not.... How long will it take for the SWU to show up in my account?
Old Dec 3, 14, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
I've had luck before with the EXP desk 'gifting' me a SWU for a future flight when the first flight of that itinerary would push me over 100k EQM. No harm in calling up - secure your place further up the waitlist now rather than closer to the flight!
Old Dec 3, 14, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott PLT; Globalist
I believe it was several days after flying the last requalifying flight when the SWUs showed up in my account.
Old Dec 3, 14, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
2-3 days after requalified for me.
Old Dec 3, 14, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by valuepac View Post
I am flying international on AA in a week in which my first flight will put me over the 100k mark... renewing my EXP membership. I am currently out of SWU and will be flying back to the US 4 days later. I would prefer to use a SWU vs miles/ copay on the way home... Will the SWU show up as soon as the flight milage is added to my AA account? If not.... How long will it take for the SWU to show up in my account?
If you havent requested already, getting a SWU cleared this will be a challenge assuming it is a popular long haul route. If youve already requested a miles/copay upgrade (to get the timestamp), and will just convert that to an SWU, you might be in luck.

If the plan is 'qualify, 3 days to get SWU, then request upgrade the day before the return flight'...well..good luck
Old Dec 3, 14, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I just requalified this week, and had the SWUs within 2 days. But I agree that you should call as soon as the flight miles post, and ask them to advance you one right away. And that in fact it wouldn't hurt to call now.
Old Dec 3, 14, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Very quickly...miles posted next day, SWUs showed in the account two days later, so count 3-4 days at most. Card arrived three weeks later.
Old Dec 3, 14, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat View Post
If you havent requested already, getting a SWU cleared this will be a challenge assuming it is a popular long haul route. If youve already requested a miles/copay upgrade (to get the timestamp), and will just convert that to an SWU, you might be in luck.

Does that work? I'm on a couple of mileage/copay (UPG1) upgrade lists, but am hoping to convert it to VIP1 when my eVIPs post for the 2015 membership year. Will my timestamps be retained when I switch from UPG1 to VIP1 in the PALL?
Old Dec 3, 14, 10:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Usually the first or second Monday after qualification depending on when the qualifying flight posts.
Old Dec 3, 14, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
Does that work? I'm on a couple of mileage/copay (UPG1) upgrade lists, but am hoping to convert it to VIP1 when my eVIPs post for the 2015 membership year. Will my timestamps be retained when I switch from UPG1 to VIP1 in the PALL?
Dont know, but if you have no choice there is nothing to lose. My argument would be that, unlike asking to change an SWU request into a 'sticker' upgrade, the miles/copay and SWU both are wait list for the same inventory class.

Wonder if it is one of those things that 'depends on the agent you get'....
Old Dec 3, 14, 10:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
Depends on the skill of the agent. If they convert the instrument without taking you off the list, you will retain the time stamp. If they remove and then add you back to the list, you will have a new time stamp.
Old Dec 5, 14, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sukn View Post
Depends on the skill of the agent. If they convert the instrument without taking you off the list, you will retain the time stamp. If they remove and then add you back to the list, you will have a new time stamp.
Sounds dangerous! I'd have to run them through some other requests to guage my opinion of their ability to get that done!

My 100k miles posted on tuesday night. SWU's posted on Thursday night.
Old Dec 5, 14, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Qualified on Friday night, got mine on Tuesday.
Old Dec 5, 14, 11:07 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT

Both, wife and I, qualified on our return flight this past Sunday, mine posted on Tuesday, nothing yet on hers. Called AA, they said it takes at least 3-5 days after flight posting. ????????
Old Dec 5, 14, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
I re-qualified on Monday with flights on BA (code share) and AA; my eight SWUs are in my account.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: