Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy / buying AA miles with bonus promotion - good deal? [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

I'm new to this.

125K miles for $2360

Good deal?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:50 pm

AA bonus miles. Good deal?

how do you get this?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle

They are selling miles and giving a bonus quantity.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Yeah. got an offer of 80K miles + 45K bonus.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond

If you want 125k miles, pm me. I can sell you 125k for 2k.

Lest it be mistaken, this is of course a tongue in cheek response. Point being if you were going to spend money to buy a flight that you could get cheaper with an award ticket, then it's worth it it, else not.

Unless you need miles right away there are cheaper ways to accumulate these miles.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Duffman
If you want 125k miles, pm me. I can sell you 125k for 2k.

Lest it be mistaken, this is of course a tongue in cheek response. Point being if you were going to spend money to buy a flight that you could get cheaper with an award ticket, then it's worth it it, else not.

Unless you need miles right away there are cheaper ways to accumulate these miles.
I'm interested. I have to spend $100K on the business card to get that many miles (from SPG Amex).
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
It is at 1.88 cents per miles. If you use the old "2 cents per mile" as a criterion, it is on the border of being a good deal. If you need the miles and don't have the time to actually fly them, it is a so-so cost.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:22 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
if you have an immediate desire and ability to book long haul F and would pay long haul Y+/super discounted J prices anyways, then it absolutely makes sense. Otherwise, no.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:16 am

There was another thread on this the other day...with which this one will probably be merged.

The answer is that if you can get more than $2360 value guaranteed, then yes. If you are staring at big fat first class award space to somewhere exotic, and you can lock it down in the bag, then by all means.

However, if you're just planning on buying these and sitting on them and seeing what ol' Dougie does with the program over the next coupla years, then no, this isn't a good idea most likely.

There is also the consideration of what mileage-earning alternatives you have. If you're a complete newbie with a clean slate over at Citi, you can probably rack up a similar number of miles through signup bonuses. If you're a longtime churner all tapped out over there and scraping the bottom of the barrel then this might be one of the few remaining options for big chunks of miles.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:34 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Earlier in the year I was shopping for a J ticket to Asia and the cheapest way to buy it without actually using the miles in my account was to book it with my miles which I did and then replace the miles through this type of bonus sale. I thought a J class ticket to Asia for a little over 2k was a great deal. This may be more difficult now as I read about how little availability there is now.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:15 pm

Thoughts on current miles buying promotion?

The current promo, which lasts until the end of April, offers up to 60K bonus miles on 100K purchased miles.

It seems better than the recent 40% pre-merger offers they had, although some of the mid-tier sweet spots have been eliminated.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: Everyone!
I guess you are talking about the "up to 60%" bonus:

https://buymiles.aa.com/en/buygift

I am passing on it but who knows if the selling miles philosophy will more closely mirror US (cheap sales frequently) or AA (expensive sales frequently).

It is not bad if you need to top off for an award....just be aware the drop-down price is the base price, but then you have taxes/ fees on top of it (ex. the $2,950 for 160,000 miles ends up being $3,201 for me). Still that ends up a cost of $.02 per mile if you do the maximum (the less you buy, a little less good the deal is).

So, the question is could you get a good enough value out of that (ex. loss of flexibility to use other airlines, loss of earning miles on the flight) and would you use it in the near future (i.e. AA could change their point requirements for awards at any time).

For Coach, I usually only bulk buy miles at about $.0167 each or less...calculated by (900 typical Europe Roundtrip -100 award ticketing fees) / (40,000 AA Off Peak Europe Roundtrip Coach Award+8,000 lost mileage earning).

It gets a little tougher to value for Business because obviously few people would pay $5-10K for a flight....but it is definitely worth some amount of incremental extra value that is very subjective.

Anyhow, I don't need the miles now so will be waiting to see if they offer a better deal....the 2 times last year I bought (US DM) were 50,000 miles for $567 ($.0113 each during the 2 100% bonus "share miles" promotions) and 100,000 for $1,880 ($.0188 each during the many 100% bonus "buy miles" promtions).

This wouldn't be as good as any of those but now that AA and US combined, there may not be such good deals again, who knows....
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
That's a very good promo in my opinion. I don't think there will be anything better in the near future.

130k = $2,725.56 USD

That's a RT in F to Asia on CX F. Can't beat that! ^
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:42 pm

I took full advantage of the offer. I'm an infrequent flyer with no status who uses miles for international trips in business or first, never for domestic and never for coach. Being able to purchase 160k miles in a single year is lovely.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 5:49 pm

Bonus miles 60000 if you buy 100k miles

They say in a calendar year one might buy maximum 100k miles. How does bonus miles will be added here?

It costs $2950 to buy 160k miles, might a good idea to score a first class ticket to India(I have 20K miles). First class tix is running 10k right now. Good idea to buy the miles and do first class travel? Will there be any fees?

thanks
Swamy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.