FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Change from SWU waitlist to 500 mile / sticker upgrade request? (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1630889-change-swu-waitlist-500-mile-sticker-upgrade-request-consolidated.html)

fedaputz Nov 23, 2014 9:06 pm

I do have a connecting flight, does that help?

fedaputz Nov 23, 2014 11:18 pm

Anyway, this is my trip so I can earn my segments for EXP.

I just changed my come back segment to be LAS-LAX-DFW-MSY-MIA-MCO. All these segments for $233 dollars :)

My one way there is MCO-MIA-LAX-LAS for $234. This will make me hit EXP

bdemaria Nov 24, 2014 5:27 am

Originally Posted by fedaputz (Post 23887694)
I do have a connecting flight, does that help?

It doesn't help w/the SWU v. "sticker" upgrade issue; it does help w/your place on the waitlist for 'sticker' upgrades as through passengers have priority over those who are just starting their trips.

weero Nov 24, 2014 6:08 am

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW (Post 23883905)
They will only get upgrades to F if they use eVIPs themselves. The free upgrades do not apply domestically on 3-cabin service from J to F. They only ever apply from Y to the next cabin up..

Thanks for the reminder ... I keep forgetting about this.

I guess it would still work on a single eVIP from the international connection though.

dmsdfw Nov 24, 2014 6:53 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 23888747)
It doesn't help w/the SWU v. "sticker" upgrade issue; it does help w/your place on the waitlist for 'sticker' upgrades as through passengers have priority over those who are just starting their trips.

Even then, it only helps if:
1) You are connecting from another flight (it has no value if this is the first segment), and,
2) You are on the airport upgrade list. The through status has no meaning for automatically cleared upgrades.

fedaputz Nov 24, 2014 7:07 am

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW (Post 23883877)
Not a good chance. If you upgrade and then want to downgrade, the flight will have to have the same coach inventory available. I believe there may also be change fees applicable.

For only 4 J seats I think you are playing with fire thinking of doing an EXP upgrade. I'd use the eVIP as on that flight, depending on when you bought your ticket the chance of being in the "top 4" is probably petty slim. YMMV

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 23888747)

Just curious on the logic behind this. Do you know why on stickers thru passengers have priority?

dmsdfw Nov 24, 2014 7:41 am

Originally Posted by fedaputz (Post 23889039)
Just curious on the logic behind this. Do you know why on stickers thru passengers have priority?

It's been discussed to death in the past, and the general opinion is that it is simply a side effect of the fact that connecting standby passengers are given priority.

scottymagouf Dec 2, 2014 1:20 am

Domestic SWU

I'm an Exec Plat booked in coach on LAX-MIA Flight 124 on 12/24 which is a 777. I booked back in August, immediately requested a SWU and have been routinely checking Expert Flyer looking for C inventory to no avail surely because of the route/Holiday. Other family members are already booked in J and my point for sacrificing a SWU is to sit with them. As the departure date approaches and the seats around my family fill up, I am wondering if at some point I should take myself off the SWU list and go for a complimentary domestic upgrade. Why waste a SWU if I end up within the 100-hour window? Does anybody have a good strategy for domestic SWU's that haven't cleared as departure date nears and are there any ramifications I should note (i.e. UG time stamp becomes December)?

Jimgotkp Dec 2, 2014 1:30 am

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:

Seat Map Search:
Departing LAX on 12/24/14 for MIA
Flying AA flight 124 in Business

A  B      D  E  G      H  J 
8                                  X  X     
9  W  -  +      +  +  +      +  +  W 
10  W  -  -      +  +  +      -  -  W 
11  W  -  -      +  +  +      -  +  W 
12  W  -  -      +  +  +      +  +  W 
13  W  +  +      +  +  +      +  +  W 
        A  B      D  E  G      H  J 

Seats
Premium Only            P                       
Available                +                       
Handicap-Accessible      H                       
Paid & Premium          #                       
Occupied                -                       
Blocked                  X                       
Lavatory                L                       
Paid                    $                       

Wing                    W                       
Upper Deck              U

Cabin looks pretty empty and it's J7, D7, I7... I'd still use the SWU unless the upgrade doesn't clear five days before departure.

Microwave Dec 2, 2014 2:11 am

Originally Posted by scottymagouf (Post 23927959)
I'm an Exec Plat booked in coach on LAX-MIA Flight 124 on 12/24 which is a 777. I booked back in August, immediately requested a SWU and have been routinely checking Expert Flyer looking for C inventory to no avail surely because of the route/Holiday. Other family members are already booked in J and my point for sacrificing a SWU is to sit with them. As the departure date approaches and the seats around my family fill up, I am wondering if at some point I should take myself off the SWU list and go for a complimentary domestic upgrade. Why waste a SWU if I end up within the 100-hour window? Does anybody have a good strategy for domestic SWU's that haven't cleared as departure date nears and are there any ramifications I should note (i.e. UG time stamp becomes December)?

Fair question, I'll merge it into the extant thread on this topic.

~Moderator

scottymagouf Dec 2, 2014 2:34 pm

Change from SWU waitlist to 500 mile / sticker upgrade request? (consolidated)

Thank you. What is your logic with 5 days to departure?

Jimgotkp Dec 2, 2014 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by scottymagouf (Post 23931626)
Thank you. What is your logic with 5 days to departure?

I'd rather not burn a SWU when I can just get a comp. upgrade.

scottymagouf Dec 2, 2014 10:08 pm

Change from SWU waitlist to 500 mile / sticker upgrade request? (consolidated)

Agreed! Hence my original question. But why 5 days and not 7 or 3?

Jimgotkp Dec 3, 2014 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by scottymagouf (Post 23933617)
Agreed! Hence my original question. But why 5 days and not 7 or 3?

EXP upgrade window is 100 hrs (4 days, 4 hrs) before the flight, so I'd pull the SWU request the day before.

Exec_Plat Dec 3, 2014 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by scottymagouf (Post 23927959)

You timestamp is the date you asked to apply the SWU.

To 'convert' to a free upgrade you MAY get the timestamp reset