Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 767-300 domestic "Business class" (should I be concerned)

Old Nov 22, 14, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold; Hyatt & MLife-Platinum, RCI-Diamond

In May, I booked two seats on a business award (U) Flt 60. for April 2015. row 3. DFW-MIA Using it as a connection from my separate award from my SYD-DFW.

When speaking with AA personnel regarding my SYD flight, they happened to see my connection and say that is odd flt 60 only has a first & coach and alluded I should have someone reticket that, but I risk losing my award seats. She also said, they will turn me away at the gate. I have a ticket ans seat assignment and they've already deducated 50K in May for these tickets

Should I be worried?

So there is conflicting info on the aa website regarding this type of aircraft. It appears there is definetly a big difference with the verbiage for the 300 vs the 200.

Business Class (767-300 only)

The Business Class cabin offers 30 seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. The fully adjustable lie-flat seat has a nine degree recline angle and five independent motors that offer extensive flexibility. (blah, blah, blah)

However, then under general tab is the following:

767-300

American Airlines fleet of 58 Boeing 767-300 aircraft is primarily used on mainland Europe and South American flights as well as certain long-range domestic flights.

On Boeing 767-300 aircraft, Business Class is branded as First Class on Domestic flights (including Hawaii routes).
Old Nov 22, 14, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I'm not sure what the question is here - but I can clarify some things.

- very few AA domestic flights have three classes of service; most are two class flights - including the DFW-MIA flight operated by the 763. The front cabin is called "F' but there is no business. I don't understand why an agent would say that was "odd" - that's standard.

- Currently the 763 is indeed to the "old" 2-2-2 configuration, AA is in the process of reconfiguring the cabin so by next April, you might get the new set up, you might now.

- It sounds like you used 100,000 miles for 2 pax for DFW-MIA which is a 2 1/2 hr flight. You can buy those seats for 450/person (300 for coach). I'd cancel the mileage tickets and pay for the seats.
Old Nov 22, 14, 8:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The 763 has two classes: Economy (Main Cabin and Main Cabin a extra), and the premium cabin, sold as First domestically and Business internationally - regardless of current or refurbished aircraft The thing to do is either buy the tickets at those prices (assuming the stand-alone awards DFW-MIA) or Hang Up and Call Again, to speak with a more knowledgeable and helpful agent. (If there's a ticketing error that could jeopardize your flights, AA made it, AA should fix it gratis,)

As AA and US continue to operate as separate airlines, we'll move this to the appropriate pre-merger forum. /Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 10, 16 at 9:01 am
Old Nov 22, 14, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Domestically, there are 2 types of first class awards for each of the 2 categories (Aanytime and Planahead)
One award gives you business class on 3 class planes and first class on 2 class planes. It sounds like this is what you have, so there should be no problem
The other gives you first class on 3 class planes.
If you have a business class award booking on a 3 class planes, and it switches to a 2 class plane, you would be entitled to first class. If you have an award to sit in first class in a 3 class plane, and it switches to 2 class, then you should get the difference refunded. If you have an award booking for first class on a 2 class plane, and it switches to 3 classes, then you would sit in business class.
None of these should cause you to be denied boarding at the gate, unless the plane is oversold. If it is oversold and you are denied boarding, then you would be entitled to compensation (with certain restrictions).
I do not understand why the agent said you would be denied boarding if the aircraft seating changed from 3 to 2 class or vice versa.
But, if the aircraft is being changed, you should make sure you get a new seat assignment

EDIT: I just reread your post. You said you were in Row 3. Was that the original row?
Row 3 is not business class on any domestic 767 configuration
If you look at your reservation online, does the seatmap show a 2 or 3 class cabin?

Last edited by mvoight; Nov 22, 14 at 9:45 am
Old Nov 22, 14, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trekker954 View Post
When speaking with AA personnel regarding my SYD flight, they happened to see my connection and say that is odd flt 60 only has a first & coach and alluded I should have someone reticket that, but I risk losing my award seats. She also said, they will turn me away at the gate. I have a ticket ans seat assignment and they've already deducated 50K in May for these tickets
The agent to whom you spoke was an idiot.

Should I be worried?
No. Leave things alone.

So there is conflicting info on the aa website regarding this type of aircraft. It appears there is definetly a big difference with the verbiage for the 300 vs the 200.
AA retired the 767-200s earlier this year, and they never flew DFW-MIA anyway.

AA has 58 767-300s, and each and every one has business class seats and economy seats. Some of them have newer, lie-flat business class seats, but other than that - they're all two class (J and Y).

If you have a premium cabin award (F/J), then you're good to go.
Old Nov 22, 14, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA PPro- LT Gold, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
AA domestic flights are only sold as F and Y (regardless of aircraft type) except for JFK-LAX and SFO, and MIA to LAX (where AA sells 3-cabin).

When a 777 is used for domestic such as DFW-LAX at times - F cabin is domestic First, and Business class seats are considered coach - and categorized as premium economy and are available to Plat/EXPs for assignment (for free) at time of ticket.

If you get an upgrade from coach, on a 777, you get put in the First cabin. Business is just coach.

And on the 767-300 - the business cabin is considered domestic F (not international F or international J). If you are traveling on international J on QF - you get domestic F - which for the 763 is the business cabin. Only two choices on 763 - F or Y.

If you have an international F reward, then if available, you get F class on the transcons from JFK or MIA to LAX.
Old Nov 23, 14, 10:22 am

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
In May, I booked two seats on a business award (U) Flt 60. for April 2015.
This is not a Z class ticket; hence, you get standard Business Class, Business Lounge (on an International Itinerary), and First Class (which is really just a Business Class using the First Class name) on 2-Class 767-300's and other aircraft with 2-Class.

If flying domestic transcon, a "Z" class gives Flagship Lounge if on a 2-Class plane, especially during those days when stopovers were allowed. But You are U, and I am me.

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 14, 15 at 2:28 am Reason: Removed manual signature
Old Nov 23, 14, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold; Hyatt & MLife-Platinum, RCI-Diamond
I got a domestic business saver for these seats. i.e. 25K each. Actually from SYD-DFW I have one business saver (45K)and one economy saver (37.5). If I tried to use one award all the way from SYD - MIA, the second leg (DFW-MIA) they offered me crappy connections and actually both would be in economy. So I had to split the awards. Even though my flight 60 at the time was showing available in business, the AA agent, said she didn't see it and was offering me connection thru PHL or CLT, crap like that.

Regardless, you all answered me and I will not worry about it.

I am really hoping that one more business seat will open for my daughter. Since I had to split the locators since I'm in business and shes in economy coming back, she wasn't able to get the premium economy based on my status and is down below my upper deck. I don't know how couples get award seats together so easily (according to what I read). I tried this the 330 days out, for LAX-SYD and just lucky to get two seats together on Qantas upper deck in economy on our way out.

I also decided to stop off in LA on the way out overnight, so had to use more miles for Bix saver awards.

I've been hoarding my miles for this dream trip. But without a doubt if the Gods were looking over me a bit more, I should have been able to save myself 100K miles. Plus, not complaining here, but I will be getting my XPLAT status back next month and could possibly have gotten some domestic complimentary upgrades if I bought some cheap tix.

Thanks!!
Old Nov 23, 14, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
AA retired the 767-200s earlier this year, and they never flew DFW-MIA anyway.
I know what you're trying to say in context, but out of context "never" is a strong word. Are you absolutely certain? Especially in the 1980s the 762s showed up on many domestic routes from time to time.
Old Sep 13, 15, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cova View Post
When a 777 is used for domestic such as DFW-LAX at times - F cabin is domestic First, and Business class seats are considered coach - and categorized as premium economy and are available to Plat/EXPs for assignment (for free) at time of ticket.
I'm looking at a MIA-DFW operated in a 777. As a Plat I can book the Business class seats at time of booking. Are they just the business class seats with coach service?
Old Sep 13, 15, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fmisle View Post
I'm looking at a MIA-DFW operated in a 777. As a Plat I can book the Business class seats at time of booking. Are they just the business class seats with coach service?
Yes. Big seat, nothing more.
Old Sep 13, 15, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Yes. Big seat, nothing more.
That service can get changed to the 2 class 777, not sure what they do with those Y paxs that were seated in J on the 3 class-whether upgrade them (after all pending upgrades have been processed) or sent back to Y. Last night F was full of non revers on that route (2 class a/c).
Old Sep 15, 15, 5:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
That service can get changed to the 2 class 777, not sure what they do with those Y paxs that were seated in J on the 3 class-whether upgrade them (after all pending upgrades have been processed) or sent back to Y. Last night F was full of non revers on that route (2 class a/c).
Sent back to Y unless Y is oversold.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: