Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Post-merger Heritage / Retro / Vintage Livery / Color Scheme Paint (consolidated)

AA Post-merger Heritage / Retro / Vintage Livery / Color Scheme Paint (consolidated)

Old Nov 6, 2019, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See these threads:
Employees to vote on livery change / TWA retro livery coming [Master Thread]
aztimm likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
So I caught this photo a couple months back at DCA. Too bad the PSA plane wasn't around.

steve64 and CMK10 like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Leave it to American to F-up its retrojets.

These airplanes all look ridiculous with the American name and logo on the forward fuselage.

Either do your retrojets right or not at all.

Contrast AA's aircraft with UA's Continental retrojet N75435:
https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8658693
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:58 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Herb687

These airplanes all look ridiculous with the American name and logo on the forward fuselage.

Matter of opinion I think. In my opinion the AA retrojets look great and I imagine that by putting the name American on them (something US Airways did too) it reduces confusion for passengers. There isn't really a standard on what's a "right" retrojet or not so I don't think they "F'ed-up".
USFlyerUS, KBMIFlyer and AAir_head like this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
TWA (livery) plane @ ORD - K13 today?

Apologies if this is way old news and I just can't find it. My friend is sitting at a gate and just snapped a photo of this plane at K13 (ORD). Anyone know what the story is?

Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Story?

There was an airline named TWA, based in STL
TWA went out of business
AA bought a lot of TWA assets
ORD is a main AA hub

Maybe this is due to the shortage of aircraft because of Mad MAX
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
AA AstroJet at CLT

Saw the AA “AstroJet” livery at CLT the other day. Great looking jet!
Old Dec 24, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Does anyone know the reason for this? I know AA technically bought TWA but I didn’t think it would be too smart to bring back the livery, even 20 years later.
I suspect another reason to have retro liveries is to keep the trademarks of predecessor airlines active. This prevents somebody from launching a "new TWA" (as if someone would want to) and perhaps more importantly, ensures that anyone who wants to sell TWA memorabilia (e.g. die cast planes) has to license the trademark from AA.

The railroads have of late gotten in the habit of painting a single locomotive in each of the liveries of their predecessors with this in mind.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 6:55 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
'

Astrojet at rainy PHL yesterday
Old Aug 17, 2020, 8:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
A little blurry as we were taxiing past pretty quickly yesterday on our grand 737 tour of Tarrant/Dallas Counties... this is the last Air Cal livery; the original Air California paint job wasn't especially pretty but this one is/was awful.

Do commercial airliners have odometers for the mileage covered on the ground? Because I swear it's a 10-mile drive from any given runway to any given gate at DFW.

Old Aug 18, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by Herb687

I doubt you'll find many here who agree.

PS - Have you shared with AA and threatened to leave them if they don't change?
Old Aug 18, 2020, 12:11 pm

I flew on AstroJet last week on AA1891 EWR to CLT.

It has the updated 737-800 interior with the thinner seat backs. Whose bright idea was it to replace the bulkhead wall in row 4 with a piece of plexiglass that ends at a rounded point at eye level for anyone who’s sitting on the aisle in row 4?
Old Aug 18, 2020, 12:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by born sleepy
A little blurry as we were taxiing past pretty quickly yesterday on our grand 737 tour of Tarrant/Dallas Counties... this is the last Air Cal livery; the original Air California paint job wasn't especially pretty but this one is/was awful.

Do commercial airliners have odometers for the mileage covered on the ground? Because I swear it's a 10-mile drive from any given runway to any given gate at DFW.
Interesting, I was at PHX yesterday and saw the same livery, I'm assuming the same aircraft.

Also saw this one. Pretty rare that I see 2 of these on the same day.

AANYC1981 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
There were a few comments on A.net about how AA should have a Trump Shuttle livery too....obviously not gonna happen but gave me a good laugh lol.
hhdl likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 2:44 pm

Astrojet at EWR on 12 Aug 2020
Astrojet at gate A35 at EWR on August 12, 2020

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.