FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Respectful fact-based discussion: FA union negotiation (late 2014, consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1627276-respectful-fact-based-discussion-fa-union-negotiation-late-2014-consolidated.html)

Microwave Nov 9, 2014 10:49 am

Respectful fact-based discussion: FA union negotiation (late 2014, consolidated)

Here are some of the links that have been shared in the thread, some of which do a good job synthesising the situation both before and after the vote:

DMN Airline Biz Blog:Forbes:Star-Telegram Sky Talk blog:The Street:APFA's site on the negotiations and vote is here.

Due to the divisive nature of this topic, members are proactively reminded of the following FlyerTalk Rules:

Please post in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner. 'Snarky,' unfriendly posts will not be allowed. If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.

Unhelpful posts, such as "Do a search" or those that merely comment on the worthiness of others' posts or threads are neither friendly nor welcoming and will not be allowed. If you can't be helpful or contribute substantive content to a thread, please refrain from posting.

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

Confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting.

Posts must be contributive to the thread and/or the topic of the forum.
~Moderator

jspira Nov 9, 2014 10:49 am

AA/US Flight Attendants Reject Tentative Agreement

This was published a short while ago (in our newsroom).

American Airlines, US Airways Flight Attendants Reject Tentative Agreement

American Airlines and US Airways flight attendants rejected the tentative agreement on a new joint collective bargaining agreement in a close vote.

The Association of Professional Flight Attendants, the union that represents both American Airlines and US Airways cabin crew, announced the results of the vote Sunday morning....
<SNIP>

FWAAA Nov 9, 2014 10:53 am

From the APFA:

The results of the balloting are in and 8180 voted yes, 8196 voted No. The official certified results will be posted by the National Ballot Committee shortly.

As per the Negotiations Protocol Agreement, the outstanding issues (those issues reached in the final days of bargaining) shall be submitted for binding arbitration. Our first date for arbitration is Wednesday, December 3rd. Until the arbitration is completed and the new contract is awarded, each legacy workgroup will continue to work under its current contract: the LAA Conditional Labor Agreement and the LUS 'Red Book.'
https://www.apfa.org/negotiations

dickinson Nov 9, 2014 11:09 am

Am I missing something? Rejection of this contract appears to me to be monumentally stupid. Guess I give FA's too much credit for a modicum of intelligence.

Global321 Nov 9, 2014 11:46 am

Originally Posted by dickinson (Post 23815278)
Am I missing something? Rejection of this contract appears to me to be monumentally stupid. Guess I give FA's too much credit for a modicum of intelligence.

Sounds like a non-issue... and maybe a smart move by the FA's...

...the “outstanding issues (those issues reached in the final days of bargaining)” will be submitted for binding arbitration, and that is scheduled to begin December 3..."

So by rejecting it, maybe the get a little more from management. Worst case, they get the contract they just rejected.

jspira Nov 9, 2014 11:49 am

What's more surprising than the vote is that 1/3 of FAs did not vote.

tom911 Nov 9, 2014 11:53 am

Am I missing something? Rejection of this contract appears to me to be monumentally stupid.

There was an article a few days back that indicated there would be a lot less money on the table if they go to arbitration, but maybe some flight attendants still think there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

In an Oct. 29 hotline, the union put up its outside counsel, Roger Pollak, to argue that it won’t get better during arbitration.

In the video, Pollak said the proposed contract adds $193 million annually in value to flight attendants beyond the current American and US Airways contracts.

If the contract is turned down, the arbitration panel would be limited to a ceiling of $111 million as it considers what flight attendants should get, $82 million less than what’s in the contract, Pollak said.

The $111 million is “market-based in the aggregate”: the average value of the Continental Airlines, United Airlines and Delta Air Lines contracts above that of the American/US Airways contracts.
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...-it-gets.html/

tom911 Nov 9, 2014 12:20 pm

I don't think some of the flight attendants got the memo that they're going directly to arbitration and not mediation:

“It’s sad the work group is so clearly divided on this, but shows exactly how every vote counted,” said a Charlotte-based contract flight attendant and contract opponent, who asked not to be named.

“Hopefully a solution will be reached and mediation will occur prior to arbitration,” the flight attendant said. “(This)will happen despite the proclamations of ‘straight to arbitration’ from Glading.”
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/...t-by-16-votes/

American said the joint collective bargaining agreement that will come out of the arbitration hearings “will be imposed without ratification—meaning flight attendants won’t have any say in the process. Next steps are to meet with the APFA to prepare for that arbitration process, which is scheduled to begin next month.”
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...16-votes.html/

Aloha1 Nov 9, 2014 12:23 pm

<redacted> What a shame. Curious if the non-voting 30% of FA's wanted no union at all.

FWAAA Nov 9, 2014 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 23815575)
I don't think some of the flight attendants got the memo that they're going directly to arbitration and not mediation:

I've read some comments over the last few days posted by AA FAs who can't believe the ignorance of some of their fellow employees (they used much more offensive terms/slurs).

That contract rejection just saved AA roughly $100 million per year. And some of the "yes" voters are seething with rage at the "no" voters and the 1/3 who didn't bother to vote.

From here, it goes straight to arbitration and that result will be imposed.

grahampros Nov 9, 2014 12:58 pm

A bit of mystifying result..esp that 1/3 didn't even vote. Seem to be US side most unhappy, yet the got the biggest raises in the contract. They still don't seem to grasp they will never again make or have the same work rules they did prior to 9/11.

I'm familiar with the heath care changes, does anyone know the work rules they were unhappy about on the US East side?

AANYC1981 Nov 9, 2014 1:45 pm

Maybe the US team was requiring/asking AA FA's to do a real full bar PDB? ;)

tom911 Nov 9, 2014 1:58 pm

The US side delivered the numbers (54.6% for the contract). The AA side did not (52.2% against the contract).

See the breakdown here:
American Airlines flight attendants opposed new contract, while US Airways flight attendants voted in favor

Piedmont767 Nov 9, 2014 2:40 pm

I voted yes, one of the 828 CLT-based F/A's that voted yes. It is now going to cost me about $17,000 in pay and benefits each year of the five-year accord under arbitration terms! :(

Global321 Nov 9, 2014 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Piedmont767 (Post 23816133)
I voted yes, one of the 828 CLT-based F/A's that voted yes. It is now going to cost me about $17,000 in pay and benefits each year of the five-year accord under arbitration terms! :(

I am sorry to hear that. You guys out of CLT rock!!!

Don't let the man get you down. ^