Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Renew Elite Status Buyback / Boost Status (10 Nov 2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage members are eligible to buy a Boost to their elite qualifying miles (EQM), elite qualifying point (EQP) or elite qualifying segment (EQS) balance to "top up" to the next elite status level (valid through February 2016). If you aren't close enough for a Boost, you can purchase a Renewal buyback up to your current status (except Executive Platinum).

Here are the details:

• Gold
    • Boost from 20,000 - 24,999 EQM or 25 - 29 EQS: $399
    • Boost from 15,000 - 19,999 EQM or 20 - 24 EQS: $499
    • Boost from 10,000 - 14,999 EQM or 15 - 19 EQS: $649
    • Renewal buyback (only available to current year AA elites): $649
  • Platinum
    • Boost from 45,000 - 49,999 EQM or 55 - 59 EQS: $699
    • Boost from 40,000 - 44,999 EQM or 50 - 54 EQS: $899
    • Boost from 35,000 - 39,999 EQM or 45 - 49 EQS: $1199
    • Renewal buyback (only available to current year AA Platinum or Executive Platinum): $1199
  • Executive Platinum
    • Boost from 95,000 - 99,999 EQM or 95 - 99 EQS: $1199
    • Boost from 90,000 - 94,999 EQM or 90 - 94 EQS: $1799
    • Boost from 85,000 - 89,999 EQM or 85 - 89 EQS: $2499
    • Renewal buyback not offered for Executive Platinum

Site: aa.com/elite2015

Print Wikipost

2015 Renew Elite Status Buyback / Boost Status (10 Nov 2014)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
+1

Absolutely, JMN. I have the flights booked before the end of the year to cover me for Plat renewal, but it's good to know there can be a backup plan just in case.
One December before Christmas Vancouver got hit by a repeated series of snow storms and I was stuck there for several days (trying to fly an Alaska flight). Sunday would be canceled, Monday fully booked, then I'd get a seat on Tuesday only to have more snow. The last flight got pushed into 2015 due to repeated cancellations and I ended up buying an Air Canada seat finally to get home. It is nice to have a backup.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
PQD spending requirement for Gold on UA (50k miles, equivalent of AA Plat) is $5k. Fly 0 miles on American in a year and purchase equivalent status for 1.2k.

lol
Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bigwings8
PQD spending requirement for Gold on UA (50k miles, equivalent of AA Plat) is $5k. Fly 0 miles on American in a year and purchase equivalent status for 1.2k.
Granted that $5000 on UA buys you other services in addition to the status, as I'm sure you're aware.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 4:00 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Since there is no Elite Rewards this year, I have limited my earning beyond 100k. Didn't work quite as well as I'd hoped: I suspect a EQP accrual discrepancy somewhere along the way. I was calculating a 102XXX EQP by 1st of October but had only 99862 credited.

Anyway, I was offered to "Extend your Executive Platinum status for only $1,199".
Old Nov 13, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
I suspect the "buy up" applies with EQP as well, since at about 42.5K EQP (and a lot less than 40K EQM) they offered PLT at $899.

Cheaper for me to fly BA round trip SIN-SYD-MEL in V class.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Nov 13, 2014, 5:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by bigwings8
I think you don't understand how the programme works... You can't buy back to Platinum unless you've already got Platinum or Executive Platinum. So presumably AA are not just "selling you status", they're also incenting you to bring your flying back to AA or increase your AA flying. A person off the street cannot just spend $1200 and get Platinum status.

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
I suspect the "buy up" applies with EQP as well
This isn't just a suspicion, it's stated in the offer. The wiki also covers it.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
I know this was sarcastic, but it brings up an interesting point. Elite status normally requires at least 4 segments on AA or US. Reports are that this year they are being strict about this (which differs from past practice). Is the "boost" offer being extended to people who are within the designated ranges, but who have not flown the required 4 segments?
Apparently not. I'm at 43k EQP with no flights on AA, so no email.

But I just up-fared my upcoming 4-leg itinerary on AA to earn ~8k EQPs, so I should be good to requalify for PLT.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Microwave
I think you don't understand how the programme works... You can't buy back to Platinum unless you've already got Platinum or Executive Platinum. So presumably AA are not just "selling you status", they're also incenting you to bring your flying back to AA or increase your AA flying. A person off the street cannot just spend $1200 and get Platinum status.
That's not necessarily what bigwings8 was suggesting; what s/he said is entirely plausible:

1. Qualify for PLT in 2013 (thereby having the status through Feb 2015)
2. Don't fly a single mile in 2014
3. Buy back the status anytime in the next couple months

In principle, if the T&C remain the same, couldn't someone "re-buy back" again next year? (Not that it would make any sense to do so)
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by rjw242
In principle, if the T&C remain the same, couldn't someone "re-buy back" again next year? (Not that it would make any sense to do so)
Yes.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5 MM, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Hogwarts Express
Spending $360 for a TPA-LAX-TPA MR to get me over the 100k hump. Cheaper than buying the boost and I get the miles to boot!
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
That's not necessarily what bigwings8 was suggesting; what s/he said is entirely plausible:

What you've suggested is entirely possible, though that's quite different from someone just showing up one day and spending $1200 for status. US used to outright sell status, fortunately that programme has been terminated and is unlikely to return. I suppose my point was just that someone has to show at least some interest in flying AA before getting status... It's not a perfect world, but better than the US way of doing things.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

I'm not skating this is what you're referring to, but I want to clarify for other members. "Re-buying" status two years in a row has not been allowed.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by c_d
Since there is no Elite Rewards this year, I have limited my earning beyond 100k. Didn't work quite as well as I'd hoped: I suspect a EQP accrual discrepancy somewhere along the way. I was calculating a 102XXX EQP by 1st of October but had only 99862 credited.

Anyway, I was offered to "Extend your Executive Platinum status for only $1,199".
I'm guessing the lowest cost mileage run would cost significantly less. (They've allowed those just short to requa lift in the past, but I'd never make a bet they'll continue doing so a fter our "April massacre" of benefits.)
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:53 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm guessing the lowest cost mileage run would cost significantly less. (They've allowed those just short to requa lift in the past, but I'd never make a bet they'll continue doing so a fter our "April massacre" of benefits.)
I just finished the outbound of another Europe r/t when I got the e-Mail and have yet another booked. What massacre of benefits? Did I miss something?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by c_d
I just finished the outbound of another Europe r/t when I got the e-Mail and have yet another booked. What massacre of benefits? Did I miss something?
I guess so. new tiered mileage awards, elimination of oneworld Explorer awards, etc. etc.

Originally Posted by rrgg
Wow! Zero advance notice is definitely NOT in the tradition of Aadvantage.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 14, 2014 at 6:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.