Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Renew Elite Status Buyback / Boost Status (10 Nov 2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage members are eligible to buy a Boost to their elite qualifying miles (EQM), elite qualifying point (EQP) or elite qualifying segment (EQS) balance to "top up" to the next elite status level (valid through February 2016). If you aren't close enough for a Boost, you can purchase a Renewal buyback up to your current status (except Executive Platinum).

Here are the details:

• Gold
    • Boost from 20,000 - 24,999 EQM or 25 - 29 EQS: $399
    • Boost from 15,000 - 19,999 EQM or 20 - 24 EQS: $499
    • Boost from 10,000 - 14,999 EQM or 15 - 19 EQS: $649
    • Renewal buyback (only available to current year AA elites): $649
  • Platinum
    • Boost from 45,000 - 49,999 EQM or 55 - 59 EQS: $699
    • Boost from 40,000 - 44,999 EQM or 50 - 54 EQS: $899
    • Boost from 35,000 - 39,999 EQM or 45 - 49 EQS: $1199
    • Renewal buyback (only available to current year AA Platinum or Executive Platinum): $1199
  • Executive Platinum
    • Boost from 95,000 - 99,999 EQM or 95 - 99 EQS: $1199
    • Boost from 90,000 - 94,999 EQM or 90 - 94 EQS: $1799
    • Boost from 85,000 - 89,999 EQM or 85 - 89 EQS: $2499
    • Renewal buyback not offered for Executive Platinum

Site: aa.com/elite2015

Print Wikipost

2015 Renew Elite Status Buyback / Boost Status (10 Nov 2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Centurion
This is really disgusting money grab for $649 by the new AA. It definitely is sleazy. AA sent multiple emails to family members who have not flown AA at all in 2014 with the following:
Did your family members fly US at all in 2014?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
This is really disgusting money grab for $649 by the new AA. It definitely is sleazy. AA sent multiple emails to family members who have not flown AA at all in 2014 with the following:

<<Since you came so close to reaching AAdvantage Gold status for the 2015 membership year, we want to offer you an opportunity to step up to the next level>>

Here is most of the mass emailing:

Boost to Gold status for only $649
AAdvantage Gold Since you came so close to reaching AAdvantage Gold status for the 2015 membership year, we want to offer you an opportunity to step up to the next level.

Act now, and we'll boost you to AAdvantage Gold for only $649. As an AAdvantage Gold member, you'll enjoy exceptional benefits including upgrades, free checked bags and much more.

Once you purchase this boost, you can start enjoying your new status and benefits within only five business days. Your status will be valid through February 2016.
This is the existing buyback scheme. I'll go ahead and merge this into the thread discussing it.

~Moderator
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:37 am

So my letter was for $2500 to EP from P (as a US PP in 2014). If I expect to do about 20 more transcons this year (and I expect to hit EP by EOY) is that worth it, i.e. will it tangibly impact upgrade rates and avoid having me spend miles for upgrades?

I've seen lots of discussion of perks for Gold and Plat, I'm just unsure if $2500 is worth the bump to EP.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:12 am

Since the email went to people who did not fly AA at all in 2014 but says they were close to getting gold it is misleading. It is a marketing scam that I assure you works and AA should not have to be this sleazy. You can say buyer beware, etc. but everyone on flyertalk is most certainly aware of their freq flyer status and thus not susceptible to this scam but just imagine if you are a elder person loosing their memory. Again anyone reading or posting on flyertalk would obviously not fall for this marketing and I have no problem with the fact if AA said you can buy gold elite.
Centurion, I'm just curious if you purchased it?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:09 pm

The email was not sent to me. I already am AA elite. Now my post have been merged into the buyback or boost thread so the point of my post is misleading. AA did a sleazy marketing ploy as they sent email to people who were not even close to elite.

Last edited by Centurion; Apr 23, 2015 at 12:18 pm
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dickinson
I don't follow your reasoning. If the cost of status was more than the worth of status, we wouldn't have thousands of FT members spending their spare time and money doing mileage runs.
Do people still do that? The airlines are going to REVENUE, rather than miles flown, as the criteria for whether you are worth being considered a good customer, so MRs don't seem worthwhile anymore.

Status is worth very little these days. It has been cut so badly it seems to not matter to any airline whether you feel appreciated as a customer or not.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
My wife got the email this week. $699 to boost to PLT. We have 2 C1-C2 flights coming up, so there is an easy 40,000 extra miles. But, what has me hesitant is that the expiration date of the deal is still Feb 2016. That is 8 months from now. Does anybody know if they move the expiration date in July/August, like they did with the challenges?

If it is going to be good through Feb 2017, I am in. Otherwise, no.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Deltahater
My wife got the email this week. $699 to boost to PLT. We have 2 C1-C2 flights coming up, so there is an easy 40,000 extra miles. But, what has me hesitant is that the expiration date of the deal is still Feb 2016. That is 8 months from now. Does anybody know if they move the expiration date in July/August, like they did with the challenges?

If it is going to be good through Feb 2017, I am in. Otherwise, no.
Then, no it is.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Still getting $1199 offers for G --> P (including earlier this week). Not a chance I'm biting since it's only good through EOY. I would've hoped by now it would be closer to $600 which I would consider since I have 4-6 more transcons this year that I haven't booked yet and would be worth it for free MCE at booking and 100% mileage bonus.

Too bad I didn't get the Platinum / EXP challenge offer.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by NewportGuy
I don't follow your reasoning. If the cost of status was more than the worth of status, we wouldn't have thousands of FT members spending their spare time and money doing mileage runs.
Do people still do that? The airlines are going to REVENUE, rather than miles flown, as the criteria for whether you are worth being considered a good customer, so MRs don't seem worthwhile anymore.

Status is worth very little these days. It has been cut so badly it seems to not matter to any airline whether you feel appreciated as a customer or not.
Dramatic much? I think everyone would agree EXP status is worth many thousands. Id value it at $7k to $10k in direct benefits or savings.

UA and DL are only revenue based for redeemable miles.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by NewportGuy
Quote:

Ummm, yes? AA has not gone to revenue yet so there are still many out here "doing that"... Lol. I'm not one of them and never will be but I would hazard a guess that AA has grabbed a DL / UA customer or two by not moving to revenue yet? I think they (AA) will probably move sooner as opposed to later, but I would bet $$$ they have swayed some of the competitor pax over here by not moving to revenue yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.