Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by frambusch
I logged on this morning and my DM miles migrated to my AA account. However, I received no credit for any BIS miles from US towards my Million Miler balance at AA.

Has anyone had Million Miler balances transfer?
Pretty sure mine worked out ok. yestersay (or whenever I could access my account last) I was LT Gold and just a few thousand short of LT Plat. Today with my meager USAir balance I am now LT Plat. (Well, the system just shows Plat but I have not flown anywhere this year, so pretty sure that is LT Plat).
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC
I thought that as EXP we get 500s that we can use to upgrade flights in advance of travel (further in advance than waiting for the 100-hour window). Am I wrong about this?
Indeed this is not correct. 500s only work inside the window. To upgrade before the window you have two options (aside from paying the fare difference).
1. Systemwide upgrades (SWUs) of which you and your spouse should both have received 8. These are very valuable as they are truly system wide on AA metal (and US too now if I understand correctly), and are good for three segments in any one direction of travel.
2. Miles and copay - the amount of miles depending on your starting and finishing region, and the amount of copay depending on the start/end regions as well as your original fare basis.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by AArlington
Pretty sure mine worked out ok. yestersay (or whenever I could access my account last) I was LT Gold and just a few thousand short of LT Plat. Today with my meager USAir balance I am now LT Plat. (Well, the system just shows Plat but I have not flown anywhere this year, so pretty sure that is LT Plat).
Did you get the 2 SWUs added to your account yet?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by frambusch
Has anyone had Million Miler balances transfer?
Yes, all of my US miles moved over, putting me over LTP, and my statuses moved from Silver/Gold to Platinum on both.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:06 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Although there have been some things reported, this seems to have gone fairly smoothly. The biggest issue I've faced is with LastPass on the new US Airways page. It just kept putting the wrong thing in one field and I almost locked myself out. I deleted it, logged in using my AA information everywhere and let it resave the site and all is well again.

One thing that happened to me is that even though I have a small history with US (really with HP) and a huge history with AA, my "member since" date moved 6 months and a few days earlier. I actually did fly HP for some business trips before I flew AA for the first time in my 20s. Total million miler moved over was just over 30K and RDMs were about 46K, all kept alive by throwing a car rental or one-night hotel stay onto US each year.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: USAirways Dividend Miles
EXP flying with non status on same ticket - still upgraded?

Hello. Other postings and responses seem to have variations of this question but unless Im not reading them correctly, I don't see the exact answer to my question.

Im a "new" EXP having been an old CP on US.

I believe I clearly understand these 2 things in my new EXP world:

- if available, complimentary domestic UG's begin at T-4 days for EXP's

- AAA program does not include complimentary upgrade for +1 on same booking for EXP's like old CP program did

My question: if I hold a booking with a non-status +1 and a 1st class seat becomes available beginning at the T-4 window, will I be pulled up? Or does having the non-status +1 on my booking, anchor me to my original seat selection and prevent me from being upgraded?

If it prevents, then the simple fix would be 2 separate bookings, that I would understand.

thanks in advance!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by racefaith
Hello. Other postings and responses seem to have variations of this question but unless Im not reading them correctly, I don't see the exact answer to my question.

Im a "new" EXP having been an old CP on US.

I believe I clearly understand these 2 things in my new EXP world:

- if available, complimentary domestic UG's begin at T-4 days for EXP's

- AAA program does not include complimentary upgrade for +1 on same booking for EXP's like old CP program did

My question: if I hold a booking with a non-status +1 and a 1st class seat becomes available beginning at the T-4 window, will I be pulled up? Or does having the non-status +1 on my booking, anchor me to my original seat selection and prevent me from being upgraded?

If it prevents, then the simple fix would be 2 separate bookings, that I would understand.

thanks in advance!
Yes, IF AA has released inventory by T-100 then EXPs will get upgraded. If AA feels they have a chance to sell the seats then inventory will be held until closer to day of flight.

If there are two people on the PNR and upgrades have been requested, then two seats need to come open at the same time for you to be upgraded. You can split the record, but then, as I understand it, the non-status falls way down the list and may not be upgraded unless enough seats are released.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, IF AA has released inventory by T-100 then EXPs will get upgraded. If AA feels they have a chance to sell the seats then inventory will be held until closer to day of flight.

If there are two people on the PNR and upgrades have been requested, then two seats need to come open at the same time for you to be upgraded. You can split the record, but then, as I understand it, the non-status falls way down the list and may not be upgraded unless enough seats are released.
What's not clear is if the OP is requesting an upgrade for +1. If not, then things should proceed normally with the EXP auto-upgrade and wouldn't be affected by the other person in the PNR, right?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Have any US CPs received 500 mile upgrade certs as part of the FF merger? Everything has migrated for me, but I don't see the 500 mile certs.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
I am not sure that anyone has received 500 mile upgrades yet.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
I am not sure that anyone has received 500 mile upgrades yet.
Yes. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...solidated.html
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Yes, people started getting them after I posted that.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
Originally Posted by Carl
The only way you would earn these is if you were first a lower-level elite on your way to becoming EXP. You can purchase ones to upgrade companions (possibly as early as T-100h) for $30 each.
So are SWUs the only way to upgrade Hawaii flights (or any other flights) prior to T-100 hours?

If so, is there a consensus on whether it makes sense to burn SWUs for overnight flights returning from Hawaii?

Correction: I did not realize my first question had already been answered. Still would like to know whether others think it makes sense to burn SWUs for Hawaii upgrade on overnight return flight (pretty sure I don't want to burn them for daytime flight PHX to Hawaii).

Last edited by PhoenixCMC; Mar 30, 2015 at 11:22 am Reason: Needed to correct based on unseen later posts
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: USAirways Dividend Miles
Originally Posted by Carl
What's not clear is if the OP is requesting an upgrade for +1. If not, then things should proceed normally with the EXP auto-upgrade and wouldn't be affected by the other person in the PNR, right?
Hi Carl. Thanks for responding and the clarifying question.

Actual no, I am not initially concerned with the +1 upgrade. My question is around my T-100 hr complimentary upgrade possibility if I have someone else attached to my ticket. Does having someone on my ticket Prevent me Or Change my chances of being upgraded T-100 with them on it?

Put it another way, I only want 1 seat upgrade - mine.

I understand clearly that the way to best assure this happening is 2 separate bookings but if it doesnt matter and my upgrade chances are completely unaffected by having the other person on my booking, then I'd prefer to have just 1 booking.

Am I clear or just confusing the question more?

thanks
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
Have any US CPs received 500 mile upgrade certs as part of the FF merger? Everything has migrated for me, but I don't see the 500 mile certs.

Does anyone know if you were CP last year and dropped to PLAT for 2015 if you will receive any 500 mile stickers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.