Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold and youll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. Well keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:29 pm

My 8 SWUs posted tonight (ex-CP). However, it shows that 1 is "Used" and only 7 are "Available". What-what?

Anybody else in same boat? Any idea why?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by pmblinn
My 8 SWUs posted tonight (ex-CP). However, it shows that 1 is "Used" and only 7 are "Available". What-what?

Anybody else in same boat? Any idea why?
Are you new to AA or already had AA account? AA has a LONG memory. It may be a SWU was used but not earned. I had the same situation the first time I make EXP. Called AA and they insisted I had used one a couple of years earlier. What happened I was gifted one and they didn't post it to my account, but I was allowed to use it for an international upgrade. I explained what happened and the EXP agent reversed the charge. Someone in audit decided that was not going to be allowed and took it away again. Called back to the same EXP agent and she posted a new SWU to my account.

I would suggest waiting until the accounts settle out and if the same thing is showing call EXP and get it worked out.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Are you new to AA or already had AA account? AA has a LONG memory. It may be a SWU was used but not earned. I had the same situation the first time I make EXP. Called AA and they insisted I had used one a couple of years earlier. What happened I was gifted one and they didn't post it to my account, but I was allowed to use it for an international upgrade. I explained what happened and the EXP agent reversed the charge. Someone in audit decided that was not going to be allowed and took it away again. Called back to the same EXP agent and she posted a new SWU to my account.

I would suggest waiting until the accounts settle out and if the same thing is showing call EXP and get it worked out.
VERY interesting and thanks for the great feedback.

Not new to AA, but new to EXP status. Was gifted a SWU last year (also international.) Will take your advice to wait and see.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
SWUs are viewable under My Account and View My Upgrades. My account doesn't have the section or SWUs yet, but I expect it in the next few days. Based on the dates provided, I would expect they would be there by 3/28.
The information on the AA website indicates this:

We know 500-mile upgrades are new for Dividend Miles Preferred members. So we'll add four 500-mile upgrades for every 10,000 Preferred qualifying miles earned from March 1, 2014 (or the date you qualified for Preferred status) through February 28, 2015 (maximum of 24). You can use these upgrades on flights over 500 miles or to upgrade a travel companion.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Just for fun, I thought I'd see how the account interface works in the AA app. Holy Toledo! What an improvement. I know the app has mostly bad reviews because it's not nearly as useful as the competition, but it's a huge leap above the US app! Good grief. For starters, you can save the card (with scannable barcode) in Passbook, and it'll update periodically with your miles, EQMs, etc. You can view all your AAdvantage stats in the app without being thrown to a sloppy web page. And the option to stay logged in actually works! (It's been broken on US for the last several updates, in case you haven't seen all the one-star reviews.)

It all seems so very...professional. Oh, and they've got the Apple Watch app available when the device launches next month. I might just get over losing those unlimited upgrades after all...
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:04 am

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
Question Can SWUs be used on 6000 flight numbers: AA(BA) codeshares?

Originally Posted by chennaibug
I am now able to see the SWU in my upgrades section.
I see them in my account too, and want to use them.

ExpertFlyer shows numbers (all zeros for the flights/dates I'm interested in) for "C" inventory on AA codeshares operated by BA (i.e., AA flight numbers in the 6000 series). Can SWUs be used on these flights? Am I mistaken to think that SWUs can only be used on AA metal?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National EE, Hertz PC
Not sure if this has been answered but I have searched to no avail. My wife and I are both CP's now showing as ExPlats on AA.com. On US we can be on the same itinerary and get upgraded and seated together automatically. If we fly AA as two ExPlats on the same itinerary will be both be upgraded at the same time and seated together or passed over as not eligible for upgrade? Do we need to start booking on separate itineraries?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ECKOA6
Not sure if this has been answered but I have searched to no avail. My wife and I are both CP's now showing as ExPlats on AA.com. On US we can be on the same itinerary and get upgraded and seated together automatically. If we fly AA as two ExPlats on the same itinerary will be both be upgraded at the same time and seated together or passed over as not eligible for upgrade? Do we need to start booking on separate itineraries?
Both being EXP or not, if you are on the same PNR you will only be upgraded when/if two seats open up at the same time. AA does have a habit of only releasing one seat at a time, so you will be passed over. SOMETIMES you can get the EXP Desk to contact RM to make an exception for EXPs and especially if both are EXPs (but don't count on it).

Conventional wisdom suggests your chances are better to book separately. This way you should be right next to each other for upgrades and should get the next two seats even if only released one at a time.

As for remaining seated together, that's a total crapshoot. Even if you are both on the same PNR and a seat change is implemented automatically, there is no guarantee you will be next to each other. It's wise to keep an eye on your rez and make adjustments as needed. If you are upgraded but not able to get seats together, polite negotiations once onboard usually will accomplish the task.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC
ExpertFlyer shows numbers (all zeros for the flights/dates I'm interested in) for "C" inventory on AA codeshares operated by BA (i.e., AA flight numbers in the 6000 series). Can SWUs be used on these flights? Am I mistaken to think that SWUs can only be used on AA metal?
Officially, SWUs can only be used on flights both operated by and sold (coded) as AA. There are anecdotal reports of gate agents allowing one to use an SWU to upgrade an AA-operated flight sold as a codeshare. But there is no way to use an SWU for a flight not operated by AA.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by anabolism
Officially, SWUs can only be used on flights both operated by and sold (coded) as AA. There are anecdotal reports of gate agents allowing one to use an SWU to upgrade an AA-operated flight sold as a codeshare. But there is no way to use an SWU for a flight not operated by AA.
This is incorrect. It has been announced that with the merging of the programs both AA- and US-operated flights will be eligible for SWU upgrades. Whether that means it will include codeshares, i. e. AA-operated booked as US codeshare and vice versa (US-operated under AA codeshare) is unclear. The exact language is:

use systemwide upgrades on flights marketed and operated by American and US Airways
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
This is incorrect. It has been announced that with the merging of the programs both AA- and US-operated flights will be eligible for SWU upgrades. Whether that means it will include codeshares, i. e. AA-operated booked as US codeshare and vice versa (US-operated under AA codeshare) is unclear. The exact language is:

use systemwide upgrades on flights marketed and operated by American and US Airways
FWIW - Seems pretty clear to me... "marketed and operated".
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by 110pgl
FWIW - Seems pretty clear to me... "marketed and operated".
Problem is, codeshares have been problematic for upgrades under the current system. If you have a US codeshare operated by AA or vice versa, it's unclear how the upgrade would apply.

I think we can agree it SHOULD work. Whether it actually would is another story.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC
I see them in my account too, and want to use them.

SWUs cannot be used on codeshares. In fact, be careful about buying AA ticketed/US operated and vice-versa. Generally you need operated and ticketed to be the same carrier to use a SWU.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by Superguy
Problem is, codeshares have been problematic for upgrades under the current system. If you have a US codeshare operated by AA or vice versa, it's unclear how the upgrade would apply.

I think we can agree it SHOULD work. Whether it actually would is another story.
On the web pages explaining the transition, it said you should still buy tickets from the operating carrier until all flights are under a single reservation system. Any codeshare AA/US situation will require the 24-hour check-in only upgrade process (and good luck with that). I have one coming up, unfortunately, but the AA price was quite a bit less than the US price.

For 500 mile upgrades, this is the text:
If you’re booked on a codeshare flight, you’ll only be eligible to upgrade when you check in, and as always, upgrades are based on availability.

Last edited by makfan; Mar 27, 2015 at 10:42 am Reason: Add text
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by makfan
SWUs cannot be used on codeshares. In fact, be careful about buying AA ticketed/US operated and vice-versa. Generally you need operated and ticketed to be the same carrier to use a SWU.
This is correct, as is your (the airlines have announced it as well) advice to avoid codeshares for now if one wants upgrade ease.

SWUS are only usable on AA operated flights, and generally on AA marketed flights as well. They ONLY are usable on non-AA flights when one has been granted its use in an AA flight but one is moved to a oneworld partner because of IROPS.

E.g. I've kept SWU use when SFO-ORD went IROPS due to ORD ground holds and I'd have missed my ongoing flight to Europe; our AA flights had been upgraded with SWU. AA moved us to BA SFO-LHR in C.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 26, 2015 at 8:46 am Reason: Typo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.