Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by coswellnc
I went to the Club to renew my membership this month and was told that you can now use miles to "pay" for your membership. As a CP I was quoted 45,000 miles to renew. This is new for us US members as that was never an option for us.
They added that option last year when they standardized the pricing to what was already offered by AA. Unless you've got more miles than you could ever reasonably use (and/or are broke), it's a very expensive way to pay. It's the equivalent of more than 2.5x the regular cost (or an even greater difference if your credit card normally awards 2x miles for US/AA purchases).
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:56 am

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC
I am interested in using 500-mi upgrades or SWUs for upgrading to Hawaii. I'm currently US Chairman and wanted to use my CP certs for a trip to Hawaii this summer but the US rule is that you can't use them until a week before the flight, by which time all the business class seats may be gone.

So here's my question:
  • Once the FF merger occurs (apparently quite soon), will I be able to lock in future upgrades on Hawaii flights with 500 mile upgrades and/or SWUs?
  • If both, what is the trade-off between using one or the other on Hawaii itineraries?

I apologize for being a newbie here (I have a small understanding of SWUs and practically no understanding about 500-mile certs), but what I want to know is if there are any special treatment for Hawaii itineraries (not so much general info about the two options, which I can read about elsewhere).
A lot is going to depend on the time of year you're flying and the loads. I flew LAX-OGG on the 11th and OGG-LAX on the 22nd, for example, and the planes weren't even close to full; on both of those I was offered (as a US CP) the complimentary upgrade during OLCI.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:53 am

Hello all,
I am sorry to ask such an ignorant question. If you can just point me to a FAQ, I'd very much appreciate it.

Anyway, I have an upcoming domestic trip outbound on 4/10 and returning on 4/15. The ticket is "marketed" by US; some of the legs are operated by AA and some by US. I am an AA Plat.

Do I have to do anything to get AA mileage credit on these flights? Should I expect EQM credit? I only have an AA account; do I need to sign up for a US account to get EQM credit for these flights?

Thank you so much for your help,
saunders111
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
flying tomorrow on paid F back on Sat night, any reason to credit to AA rather then US, especially now that my status has been updated to EXP?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ellinj
flying tomorrow on paid F back on Sat night, any reason to credit to AA rather then US, especially now that my status has been updated to EXP?
I would credit to US and hope you still get the 1.5 PQM for F
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by saunders111
Hello all,
I am sorry to ask such an ignorant question. If you can just point me to a FAQ, I'd very much appreciate it.

Anyway, I have an upcoming domestic trip outbound on 4/10 and returning on 4/15. The ticket is "marketed" by US; some of the legs are operated by AA and some by US. I am an AA Plat.

Do I have to do anything to get AA mileage credit on these flights? Should I expect EQM credit? I only have an AA account; do I need to sign up for a US account to get EQM credit for these flights?

Thank you so much for your help,
saunders111
Just provide your AAdvantage number and you can expect EQMs for the AA and US flights regardless of who is operating/marketing them. (It's not even possible to sign up for the US program anymore. US accounts are being merged into AAdvantage as we type.)
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Organgrinder
I would credit to US and hope you still get the 1.5 PQM for F
but I wonder what will be more advantageous to me the miles or the EQPs. I have one other paid F flight booked in May. if they don't go back and recalculate EQPs for the weekend flight, I may come up short at the end of the year.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Logged into my AA account this morning and to my surprise it reflects my new EXP status. I flew 85k on US last year (still showing as PLT on USair.com) and 20k on AA. Was surprised to see the update before the migration starts this weekend.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by PHX392
Logged into my AA account this morning and to my surprise it reflects my new EXP status. I flew 85k on US last year (still showing as PLT on USair.com) and 20k on AA. Was surprised to see the update before the migration starts this weekend.
Me too! Thanks for the heads up!! Wouldn't have checked if you hadn't written this...
Exciting.

By the way, the card they show on the app when selecting 'view my card' is terrible. The level on the card is tiny font written diagonally in the distance. Ridiculous whoever came up with that idea and designed it
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ellinj
but I wonder what will be more advantageous to me the miles or the EQPs. I have one other paid F flight booked in May. if they don't go back and recalculate EQPs for the weekend flight, I may come up short at the end of the year.
That's a good point. I had interpreted the language as PQMs would transfer 1:1 to EQMs and they would calculate EQPs based on YTD activity, but I may be mistaken.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Organgrinder
That's a good point. I had interpreted the language as PQMs would transfer 1:1 to EQMs and they would calculate EQPs based on YTD activity, but I may be mistaken.
Anyone know for sure? This would be helpful information to know.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
It was announced that when combining balances, every Dividend Miles EQM will turn into a EQP in AAdvantage. Thus, it is more advantageous to credit to US DM as you get 150% EQMs and with a 1:1 ration 150% EQP or 1.5 EQP per mile flown.

If you were to credit to AAdvantage, you get a max of 100% EQMs and a range of 50% to 150% EQPs.

Thus, for as long as DM lasts - which is a few more days, I would credit to US DM.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
As a US elite unfamiliar with the AA program, what is the difference between EQMs and PQMs? All I know is that I've got two TATL flight in April and May in paid business. Under the US program I'd be earning 150% elite qualifying miles. If I understand this all correctly, I'll now only be earning 100% miles on my CLT-FRA and CLT-PHL-TLV trips? If so, getting to 50,000 or higher just got a lot harder....

What good are the 1.5 PQMs then?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ACA321
As a US elite unfamiliar with the AA program, what is the difference between EQMs and PQMs? All I know is that I've got two TATL flight in April and May in paid business. Under the US program I'd be earning 150% elite qualifying miles. If I understand this all correctly, I'll now only be earning 100% miles on my CLT-FRA and CLT-PHL-TLV trips? If so, getting to 50,000 or higher just got a lot harder....

Essentially, AA EQM are based on "base" miles ("butt in seat").

EQ Points are the multiplier AA has used for those who fly premium, as you do.

Deep discount fares earn 0.5 EQP; discounted economy earn 1.0 EQP. B, Y and premium fares earn 1.5 EQP. as class of service and status bonus miles are earned, the net for you is basically the same.

You can earn AA Platinum three ways: fly sixty segments or sufficiently to earn 50k EQM which you can currently do even flying deep discount coach, or fly as few as 33,334 miles to qualify with 50,000 Elite Qualifying Points. Net result for earning status for you? No change I can see.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by ACA321

You'd be earning 1.5 points per mile (presuming it's in A,B,D,F,I,J,P,R, or Y). You can qualify for status based upon miles or points. If you tend to book premium fares, you'd qualify easier using points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.