Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:13 am

Million Miler Program ?

I didn't see anything regarding a million miler program Should we be concerned ?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I agree that there is a huge chasm between 50k and 120k. However, there is also a huge chasm in benefits - all upgrades, early clearing, and tremendously valuable SWUs, none of which the previous tiers get. So it's nonlinear benefits. There should be a 4th tier in between IMO. Unlimited upgrades clearing later than EXPs and then also maybe like a couple SWUs??? Just a thought.
I agree. Lack of the 4th tier is really disappointing. I've been a ~90 segment flyer for 6 years now. Sometimes hitting 90 is a stretch but I do it. Ill never hit 120.

I'm sure the former US Platinum folks were probably the smallest % of flyers (I seldom saw people with PLT on their status here, vs tons of CHM and/or Gold), so there may not be nearly as many of us to "offend"... but its such a huge jump from 60 segments to 120 segments... and such a huge "chasm" (as arlflyer says) in benefits.

I'm sad.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Stripe
A few questions...
1. No word on changing the upgrade priority formula (status then time of request). I assume that stays the same?

2. US stays UDU, AA retains stickers for > 500 mile flights. What will happen when flight ops are merged and there are no longer two operating carriers? Which model wins?

3. Will EXPs be upgraded at the CP window on US, or do we continue with the day of departure scheme with no real priority among AA elites? It shows the EXP upgrade window for US flights to be 4 days, but then says "Upgrades on codeshare flights in eligible markets will continue to be offered based on availability at check in".
My interpretation:
1. Unsure what will happen here. Personally I would like to see the US model adopted here - advance upgrade priority based on tier then number of BIS miles in the past 12 calendar months / within T-24 based on tier and time of check-in. I think that's more fair to business travelers who are usually purchasing (more expensive tickets) closer to day of travel.

2. The AA model will survive once US ceases to exist.

3. Until the programs are merged sometime in Q2, then we'll have the current 'reciprocal' upgrade scheme in place. Once the programs are merged, then it'll be as described in today's announcement.

Again... just my interpretation.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Okay, I read it but found nothing on "Platinum-for-life" status and whether that will continue on? Anybody know? The flyer who wrote about big changes in 2016, might that affect this status?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by racefaith
So all these bullets, asterisks, initials, acronyms and terms are generally beyond me so some assistance would be appreciated.

I will say I'm looking forward to the continued trickle down service improvements I see coming to US from AA. The food quality is getting better on US and AAs planes, especially the new ones, seem nicer from a fit and finish perspective. I also like the E+ class of service.

I'm a long time Chairman and only fly US. I fly Hartford to west coast and EU often so obtaining 100K miles is rarely a concern for me.

Here are what I absolutely enjoy about US program and would like an AA program members comments on the new rules effects:

- 7 days prior upgrade clearing
- unlimited domestic upgrades at No cost
- 2 annual FC class certificates for international travel
- discounted club cost

If I'm correct:

- drops to 5 days
- only on flights less than 500 miles. Over 500 and airline makes you pay with miles or fee
- AA does not offer
- goes away

Also it looks like the highest AA tier is now Exec Platinum with 100Kmiles/120 segments for qualifications. This would seem to be the same as US Chairman has been for awhile - correct?

Thanks
You will get free unlimited domestic upgrade, plus 8 international upgrade cert.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:18 am

<>Here are what I absolutely enjoy about US program and would like an AA program members comments on the new rules effects:

- 7 days prior upgrade clearing
- unlimited domestic upgrades at No cost
- 2 annual FC class certificates for international travel
- discounted club cost

If I'm correct:

- drops to 5 days
- only on flights less than 500 miles. Over 500 and airline makes you pay with miles or fee
- AA does not offer
- goes away

Also it looks like the highest AA tier is now Exec Platinum with 100Kmiles/120 segments for qualifications. This would seem to be the same as US Chairman has been for awhile - correct?

Thanks
- drops to 4 days as I read http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AA...2015/index.jsp
- top tier gets free upgrades
- you get 8 SWUs, entitling you to go from economy to business (subject to availability), each good for a flight of up to three segments.
- AA has had discounted club cost. I don't see anything saying that will go away

100k/120 segments
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
This is excellent news for the time being. I'm glad they've stuck to mostly pmAA AAdvantage. With that said, I'm not sure if I even give it a year in this form...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: US -Plat, UA-Plat, AA-Plat, Marriott - Platinum,
I think reaction to this will be based on which program you are coming from pre-merger. Overall, I think the compromise is more from the USDM members in that a fourth tier is dropped and the upgrade rates will also drop. I know the majority of AA prefer the sticker upgrade process and I am still trying to reconcile the benefits of the process.

My experience flying out of the PHL HUB, I was 100% on upgrades as Chairman, 80% as a Platinum and roughly 50% as Gold and in the mid 20's when Silver (granted silver was several years ago). I'm often surprised to see F and J nearly empty at times on AA and don't understand why would you let empty seats fly when you can upgrade your elites and sell more Y seats. In fairness this opinion is also based on someone who no longer qualifies for the highest tier EXP or CP and will see a dramatic decline in upgrades. I am probably in the minority who believes a paying F customer should always trump a complimentary upgraded pax, but that's a whole other topic.

I'm happy to hear common sense is prevailing with the combination of activity for 2014. I think most were under the assumption this would happen and opened our activity across the combined network in 2014. I personally split my 80K miles evenly between the two operating carriers, with more recent travel heavily on the AA (better bonus miles as AA Plat vs. US Plat).
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Mister Nice
I didn't see anything regarding a million miler program Should we be concerned ?
"Match your accounts beginning in early 2015 and we'll combine all your Dividend Miles award mileage, million mile balance and elite-qualifying activity with your AAdvantage account."
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AA...2015/index.jsp
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
- 7 days prior upgrade clearing - drops to 5 days
This is for domestic flights only, and its 100 hours

- unlimited domestic upgrades at No cost- only on flights less than 500 miles. Over 500 and airline makes you pay with miles or fee
Not correct for Executive Platinum: domestic upgrades remain complementary - and includes Hawaii (which US excludes)

- 2 annual FC class certificates for international travel - AA does not offer
AA gives EXP 8 Systemwide upgrades -

- discounted club cost- goes away
No, the Admirals club access fee is linked to status
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by fish114
Also did anyone note that in addition to the 50% J bonus they are pulling the "deep discount" economy down to 0.5/1 miles?
Where do you see this? Are you sure you aren't looking at EQP?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: M&M FTL, HHonors Diamond, Langham Elite, SPG Corporate Preferred
Stupid question: am I reading it correctly that starting in Q2 2015, the AA oneworld Award Chart will apply ? For example for Europe-Asia, the AA oneworld chart requires 140k in F. while the US oneworld Chart requires only 100k.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
By all accounts, "good news"-- very little change (relatively speaking) "AAdvantage stays AAdvantage" "no radical change" etc., etc.
Hopefully it will stay this good for a while...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by phoebes1951
Okay, I read it but found nothing on "Platinum-for-life" status and whether that will continue on? Anybody know? The flyer who wrote about big changes in 2016, might that affect this status?
No changes to the AA MMer program -- at least in so far as 2MM+ customers will continue to be Platinum for the life of the program.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Overall I am relieved.

I will hit 100 segments exactly this year (based on current travel plans) so will get a taste of EXP for next year. Excited about that. As a DFW mostly short haul flyer (HOU, STL, etc) I always get to at least 60 segments. I would guess I will not hit EXP next year now that you need 120 segments.

From a current (and likely future) PLT, glad to see the stickers remain in effect.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.