Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
How will DM CoS EQM bonus be converted to AAdvantage?

Searched this thread, but didn't find an answer:

How will DM CoS bonus EQM be converted to AAdvantage?

For example I credit a paid J trip to EU to DM next week and earn 1.5EQM per mile for a total of ~15k EQM. When this converts to AA in Q2 obviously that flight would convert into 1.5EQP, but will they "take away" the CoS bonus EQM? I hope not, but that was my suspicion.

Maybe it will be just simple - you have X in US and Y in AA and now you have X+Y...
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by BallardFlyer

For example I credit a paid J trip to EU to DM next week and earn 1.5EQM per mile for a total of ~15k EQM. When this converts to AA in Q2 obviously that flight would convert into 1.5EQP, but will they "take away" the CoS bonus EQM? I hope not, but that was my suspicion.

Maybe it will be just simple - you have X in US and Y in AA and now you have X+Y...
There has been no notes of 'downgrading' CoS/EQM.

The material says it will be a X+Y=Z
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by 110pgl
There has been no notes of 'downgrading' CoS/EQM.

The material says it will be a X+Y=Z
I hope that is the case!

I guess I thought maybe the technical "merge mechanism" would actually be re-running your credited DM ticket data/fare class paid from DM flights in 2014 and 2015 against the Advantage system as part of a bulk import type approach and thus it would give you the 1.5 EQP and 1 EQM per mile in J on Advantage for those flights. I hope it is in fact X+Y as that would benefit me.

Last edited by BallardFlyer; Feb 8, 2015 at 2:10 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Occam's razor says they merely import PQM/EQM to EQM. Designing filters to screen for CoS bonus PQM is a lot of extra work. I'm not saying I know this is how it'll work, I'm saying it's logical - and a heckuva good way to avoid flyers with pitchforks and torches mobbing the doors.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:39 am

I hope that is the case!

I guess I thought maybe the technical "merge mechanism" would actually be re-running your credited DM ticket data/fare class paid from DM flights in 2014 and 2015 against the Advantage system as part of a bulk import type approach and thus it would give you the 1.5 EQP and 1 EQM per mile in J on Advantage for those flights. I hope it is in fact X+Y as that would benefit me.
I think they would have given FF a heads up. And you point out it does make it more complicated.

Also, I think the headache of hearing all the complaints from the US FF is not worth it for a one time "advantage".

I have booked a few Y tickets and used my US number to get a full credit vs. AA 1/2 credit, betting that when they merge I will come out a few thousand miles ahead. (I wont be crushed if I do not.)
Old Feb 14, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Million miler status credit

With the airlines semi merged, is there any word on how million miler credit status is going to proceed? For example, if I fly today on AA and apply the miles to my US Airways account, will those miles count towards the US or AA program Million mile thresholds?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:09 am

Yes. The information we have indicates when the accounts are merged MM points will be assimilated into your AAdvantage account.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Yes. The information we have indicates when the accounts are merged MM points will be assimilated into your AAdvantage account.
But again straight up. X+Y=Z Right?

So AA used to credit other stuff (cc miles, for example) and US never did. UA merging with CO did a massive one-time true-up to help even the playing field (got me 1.3MM and 50k for life). Certainly would love it if they did it for AA+US. (I have 600+ on US, just asked DM, and 800+ on AA). Being 2MM provides a bunch of advantages over 25k.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by dcdavido

So AA used to credit other stuff (cc miles, for example) and US never did. UA merging with CO did a massive one-time true-up to help even the playing field (got me 1.3MM and 50k for life). Certainly would love it if they did it for AA+US. (I have 600+ on US, just asked DM, and 800+ on AA). Being 2MM provides a bunch of advantages over 25k.
The UACO is 100% not going to happen. They have been very clear on that.

X+Y=Z is the plan put forth by USdbaAA
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by dcdavido

Right.

I agree it would be a huge boon to US flyers, a sort of equalizer for AAers (my 500+k TWA Aviators miles were assimilated into my AAdvantage account and added to my MM total, pushing me into LT AA Gold,) who got a lot of MM before it went only to base miles. They're unfortunately not going at all in that direction AFAIK.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Has there been any word on when in Q2...

Apologies if this has been covered already (a series of "Q2" and "second quarter" searches did not turn up anything)...

...when in Q2 will the reciprocal upgrade benefits (at the window) start kicking in?

I ask because I have a flight SFO-CLT (and back) in mid-April. Any chance of clearing at the window then...or is it still subject to availability at OCLI/T-24?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: WFBF
No news about when "Q2" is going to be in terms of merging stuff. I'm still booking stuff on the assumption that I'll only get full US CP benefits on US-ticketed US-metal flights, as that seems the most rational thing.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by scnzzz
...when in Q2 will the reciprocal upgrade benefits (at the window) start kicking in?

I ask because I have a flight SFO-CLT (and back) in mid-April. Any chance of clearing at the window then...or is it still subject to availability at OCLI/T-24?
There has not been any official update. I have heard informally from some friends within AA that things are going well and they expect the integration of the FF programs to happen sooner rather than later, but personally, I'd be very surprised if it was as early as mid-April. I'm still thinking June-ish, but remember I have no actual knowledge of how things are going, and if my friends at AA are right, then mid-April is possible.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by anabolism
There has not been any official update. I have heard informally from some friends within AA that things are going well and they expect the integration of the FF programs to happen sooner rather than later, but personally, I'd be very surprised if it was as early as mid-April. I'm still thinking June-ish, but remember I have no actual knowledge of how things are going, and if my friends at AA are right, then mid-April is possible.
Thanks...good to know (even if it means I'll probably sweat it till OLCI)
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
Of course this is like any IT project... it comes down to squashing all the bugs.

Right now they are in massive bug squashing. And while they are probably knocking them out at a good pace, a single tough bug in the merging can push the merging of the programs back a few months. Or a single item thought to be accounted for but not accounted for can push it back even longer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.