Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by tegelad
Every 10K miles flow your account goes up by 10 stickers. .
Incorrect. You earn 4 stickers for each 10K miles, as clearly stated on aa.com:

AAdvantage Platinum and AAdvantage Gold members earn four 500-mile upgrades for every 10,000 qualifying miles flown.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I'm really not happy with this.

Sad thing is, I knew this would probably happen. You can either offer a benefit to more people, or cut it to a few people. AA/US has chosen to screw the US folks.

I have enough travel on tap that I'd comfortably hit GP (now PLAT - ooo what an upgrade) for next year - all at well over $10k spent for the year. Looks like travel was picking up for me too next year. AA/US hasn't always been the most convenient. UA/DL may work better - especially internationally.

The Y/B instant upgrade is a big for me. Guess what I fly on internationally? Would have made the domestic legs better, and taken less miles to upgrade internationally. Not any more.

Like others have said, the lack of a 75k tier sucks. It makes one think harder about gaining status on another airline, not flying if it can be avoided, or sucking it up for no extra benefit until 100k.

For those saying are you really going to put up with sitting in the back on another airline? Guess what? If you're not an EXP, you're going to be sitting there anyway. Is there much difference between doing it on AA vs DL vs UA? I don't know. On DL (and less so on UA), there's more of a chance of sitting up front as lesser tier. Is that worth it vs. stickers? I don't know.

Despite the shortcomings in US's program, it was actually pretty good. From BWI, and to where I typically travel, PHL, CLT and PHX weren't exactly the most convenient. DFW isn't either, MIA for sure isn't, and I just hate ORD. The perks US offered - especially to CP, made it worth it.

My club membership just ran out - is it even worth renewing now?

I'm really going to have to think about this for next year. Do I even really bother chasing status much - just take the schedules and times that work best for me, and balance that with service onboard? Or do I factor in the FFP until the next cut?

I have a lot of thinking to do. I'm not seeing a whole lot of an upside between the 3 legacies, and a good bit of downside. Question is, whose downside is the easiest to put up with? I don't know right now.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
You can get 10,000 EQM with $40,000 spend on the Citi card (only the one that carries a $450 annual fee.)
That looks to me like a very tiny, insignificant benefit for $40k of spend. That much spend gets me Hilton Diamond, admittedly not as valuable as it once was, but a whole helluva lot more than 10% of the way to EXP.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
Great news! Hoping the US Plats will be placated by the 100% mileage bonus.

Also smart that the sticker system is staying... although the UDUs remain on US metal, so I suppose there's a remote possibility the system could switch over to UDU. My opinion is that this is unlikely, given that SABRE is set up with the sticker system.
The AA program (stickers required) will prevail. From the e-mail: "When our programs combine, your upgrade benefits will work differently for American and US Airways flights as we are still operating as two separate airlines. Once we have a single reservation system later in 2015, we'll adopt the American upgrade process for all flights."
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
If all it takes to attract and keep true high-value flyers is a huge pile of RDMs on expensive fares, then all Parker has to do is implement an RDM bonus program for premium cabin and very expensive economy fares.

While you could go the routes of UA and DL and reduce the RDMs earned on lower fares, there's no need to do that. Just offer huge RDMs to the target audience.
I'm not so sure that's what it takes. I'm as much of a mileage whore as anyone else on here, and I fly on 30-40 cpm fares mostly. DL/UA's high RDMs haven't been an incentive to me as I've generally valued the other FFP perks more - ones that until now US has generally offered (and UA used to offer).

The miles are always nice, but I really value what makes the travel experience much more pleasant than just being a flying Greyhound - faster lines, priority, upgrades, etc.

Miles are icing on the cake.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
That looks to me like a very tiny, insignificant benefit for $40k of spend. That much spend gets me Hilton Diamond, admittedly not as valuable as it once was, but a whole helluva lot more than 10% of the way to EXP.
Not only that, if you hit it early in the year, you get it for nearly two years.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by superweak
or the number of flights is reduced
Only a matter of time before this happens. We already see F seats being reduced on newer equipment. As the networks are combined and cross fleeting begins, you will see redundancies and capacity will be cut.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by jordyn
Honestly, there's AA EXPs that don't see that sort of upgrade rate (mine is probably not much better than 75% this year), so I think going in that's an unrealistic expectation with the merged program and a bigger base of elites.

I do agree that the biggest downgrade is probably the loss of priority over the 50-74K fliers, but US's own upgrade priority scheme would largely correct that particular problem, no? I'm not sure what I think of using BIS miles as a tie-breaker, but it is probably more sensible than date of request, which tends to favor low value fliers over high-value ones. I'd think using something like EQP would probably be the best tie-breaker to reward higher-value fliers within tiers.
If they used BIS vs time of request as the tie breaker, I think a lot of people would be a lot less upset about the loss of Platinum. But I don't see that change coming at least initially.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Upgrading my wife

As a Chairman's Preferred member I get automatic upgrades for me and my wife on purchased tickets and award tickets. As I understand, this new AA program will be a real downgrade for me as I will only receive automatic upgrades for myself, and only on purchased tickets? And I will not earn any of these 500 mile coupons either, right?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by superweak
Does this "influx" actually exist? Are there a huge number of AA elites who were chomping at the bit to finally travel over the US hubs (which we are of course informed are inferior to those of AA in every way)? Every AA elite on US metal is an AA elite *not on AA metal* and vice versa, so AA people should be happy their upgrade chances are improving...

Unless the merger is hugely increasing the number of flights people are taking on AA+US, or the number of flights is reduced, the US network is not going to be overwhelmed by AA elites, since there's probably an equivalent number of US travelers taking an AA routing. (OK, there are probably exceptions like the Shuttle.)
Not so sure about that. Thus far I have avoided (as an EXP) routing through pmUS hubs to maximize my upgrade chances. Once the windows equalize there is no incentive for me to avoid them. I do believe that there will be more pmAA traffic through pmUS hubs and v.v., but the volume of pmAA pax will likely mean that there is a more palpable impact on pmUS elites than v.v.

And I for one disagree with the notion that US hubs in general are inferior, superior, or otherwise different to AA hubs. I haven't been through them enough to generalize, but the few times I've been through CLT and PHL I've had no real cause to complain; nor are DFW or MIA some sort of paradise...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Cannonball Run
Try using a SWU on a long haul international flight from Y to J - 8 months from now - almost impossible even when the cabins are 100% empty. Try booking a mile saver in Business long haul international - also almost impossible, with a 100% empty cabin. (ok no seats assigned yet). An then there's the multi tiers of award travel which change miles needed several times during any given week.

I understand revenue management. I understand maximizing profits. i also understand that the quite changes at the EXP level which have already taken place and new members won't notice are taking a once great program to the gutter - imo.
SWUs are hard to use for popular long haul routes. No surprise. It's down to the lottery at the gate, or T-72 in some cases. But just because you can't clear an SWU at booking doesn't mean it can't happen. As an example, comfortably cleared self, spouse and son SFO-JFK-LHR and back in June (summer travel time); spouse and son without me on the return. In each case the SWUs cleared at T-72 rather than when we booked 6 months out.

Bottom line, yes, SWUs and saver award inventory is hard to get. But they aren't nonexistent.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
combining 2014 EQM?

Originally Posted by sjpmurph01
My interpretation of this is that on 3/1 - the start of the new program year - they will not yet have combined accounts. So starting on that day your status is based on the highest tier earned in one program or the other.

Once they actually combine accounts - on some unspecified date in Q2 - then they'll merge qualifying activity from 2014. If that means you qualify for a higher tier, then you'll be bumped to that level until 2/2016.

You'll only be at the highest individually-earned tier in pmUS or pmAA between 3/1/15 and whenever they actually merge your accounts. After that it'll be based on your combined 2014 activity (unless your combined 2015 activity is already higher, in which case your status is already in place until 2/2017).

That's how I read it at least...
That is exactly how I read it also, and this is a key issue for me.

It would be great if AA/US could clarify this and also give an idea of the date of final EQM integration. Falling to PLT from 3/1/15 until 4/1/15 would be a lot easier to stomach than falling to PLT from 3/1/15 until 7/1/15.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mbgaskins
Actually they get less money from me. I usually end up at about 100-104 segments. 120 is out of my reach. First Class upgrades was my number 1 priority. Without those who cares what airline I fly on. Since they will be few and far between as a platinum and stuck in coach most of the time, might as well pick any airline.

This is a big mistake from my point of view. They just discouraged me from flying AA. They will loose at least 10-12 flights a year from me if this sticks.
I'm willing to bet you rethink this. I've always qualified via EQM except this year it will be via segments. While I would certainly like 100 segments, I will find a way (100k or 120 segments) to requailfy. In total, this step in integration is pretty darn reasonable.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
I'm not so sure that's what it takes. I'm as much of a mileage whore as anyone else on here, and I fly on 30-40 cpm fares mostly. DL/UA's high RDMs haven't been an incentive to me as I've generally valued the other FFP perks more - ones that until now US has generally offered (and UA used to offer).

The miles are always nice, but I really value what makes the travel experience much more pleasant than just being a flying Greyhound - faster lines, priority, upgrades, etc.

Miles are icing on the cake.
I'll venture to presume that you, like me, and most others here, may not represent the typical HVF LD
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by scnzzz
SWUs are hard to use for popular long haul routes. No surprise. It's down to the lottery at the gate, or T-72 in some cases. But just because you can't clear an SWU at booking doesn't mean it can't happen. As an example, comfortably cleared self, spouse and son SFO-JFK-LHR and back in June (summer travel time); spouse and son without me on the return. In each case the SWUs cleared at T-72 rather than when we booked 6 months out.

Bottom line, yes, SWUs and saver award inventory is hard to get. But they aren't nonexistent.
it isn't impossible. i'm at JFK Flagship right now waiting to fly to MXP. Me with SWU, wife in SAAver J. started with a whim in early July. looked on EF, found availability and booked in less than an hour. if you are flexible on when, not too hard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.