Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
My most frequent route right now is MCI-CLT-BDL. If I'm understanding correctly, I'd need to fly 40k miles just to earn enough stickers to upgrade that once.
Looks like you'd need two stickers per segment - so 20k miles for one roundtrip. Yeah, that still stinks relative to status quo.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I'm pleased with the change to make elite upgrades complimentary on flights of 500 miles or less. The majority of my AA flights less than 500 miles (i.e. SAT-DFW), so this is a welcome change.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Two words:

Luv it.
It will be nice to occasionally have a free cocktail on MIA-TPA flights without burning a sticker.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by scnzzz
Looks like you'd need two stickers per segment - so 20k miles for one roundtrip. Yeah, that still stinks relative to status quo.
Yes, but you will find you will get upgraded much more often. Thats the beauty of the AA system. Without unlimited request, no everyone requests an upgrade.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by scnzzz
I don't think the intent was to insult anyone.

I would think that airlines would seek to keep their highest yielding flyers - regardless of source - loyal. The loyalty program is one tool with which to achieve this. To the extent that AA's corporate contracts plus other paid J and F may be more weighted to legacy AA customers than legacy US customers, the optimal solution would likely end up with a solution that is more likely to keep AA customers happy at the expense of US customers than vice versa - given that it's not going to be possible to make everyone equally happy ever. If the reverse were true, it would be rational to keep US fliers happier than AA fliers. Perhaps newAA management is acting irrationally - but I rather suspect not.

I certainly don't submit that any one passenger is more important to a carrier than another - except to the extent to which they bring in revenue in excess of the incremental cost of carriage. Now, as to which fliers fit that profile better in general - I'm sure AA mgmt (and perhaps some of the posters here) have a pretty good idea of this. I don't, but I do have my conjectures.
Given the choice of making one of two groups unhappy, they appear to have decided to favor the group which is larger and appears more profitable.

It's not personal. It's strictly business. Pointing it out is not an insult.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
NEW combined AA & US AAdvantage program announced 28 Oct 2014 (master thread)

I'm happy, thank you. 😄, let's continue with the process of completing the merger and making AA the world class airline it ought to be.

Originally Posted by rubiety
I am in the rare situation of qualifying for both US Airways Chairman's and AA ExecutivePlatinum status this year.

The announcement specifically says this:

Reading that myself it sounds as if I will receive my 8 SWUs this year as soon as I hit EXP, then "when we combine the programs" I'll "also receive 8 systemwide upgrades" as a Chairman's Preferred member, so effectively 16 SWUs total in my account at that point.

Now, I reached out to clarification from AA twitter and they said no, I will only get 8 SWUs total. Ben & Gary also both think I won't actually receive both sets. But that does not seem like a straightforward reading of that passage, and at the very least they should probably change it with clarity for people in my situation.

What's silly is that this actually creates the stupidly perverse incentive for folks with both to create an additional AA frequent flyer number, then match their Chairman's account to that, effectively giving them 16 SWUs for sure.

What do you think?
You might try customer service or corporate to see if you get an answer more to your liking. One would think they'd try to keep a 200k flyer happy.

Creating an additional AA FF number sounds like a bad idea and the sort of thing that would raise red flags with AA's anti-fraud unit.

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Platinum
Originally Posted by FWAAA
.................................................. ..

Trust me on this one: You'd be a nobody at UA or DL since you're averse to spending some more money. Eventually you'll be a nobody at AA, once it joins DL and UA with a revenue qualification component.
I really don't see how any FF of any value couldn't hit the very modest revenue thresholds at Delta and United. Also, we are adverse to spending our own money on something that used to be complimentary and still is at AA's 2 primary competitors. And with Delta you can get their Credit Card and then you don't have to worry about the very modest revenue requirement. The Delta CC would be far cheaper than all the "stickers" most US elite flyers will now need to get upgraded at their old rates.

Its all Delta for me until the end of February, and then I need to make a decision since I will drop to Silver on Delta. RIP US Airways and Dividend Miles, Hello 1981.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
Yes, but you will find you will get upgraded much more often. Thats the beauty of the AA system. Without unlimited request, no everyone requests an upgrade.
This is the key, which I wish people would understand. As a PLT, I upgraded at least 75% of the time on AA when i CHOSE to upgrade. The reality was, I skipped it for many flights.

Go ask a gold at DL how often they get an upgrade.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat
Originally Posted by richarddd
You might try customer service or corporate to see if you get an answer more to your liking. One would think they'd try to keep a 200k flyer happy.

Creating an additional AA FF number sounds like a bad idea and the sort of thing that would raise red flags with AA's anti-fraud unit.
Yeah, and I don't want to do that anyways as my redeemable miles would be split up. Would also have to play games regarding ensuring I credit miles into one account for elite qualification in 2016. So not going to do it.

Still though, that passage read reasonably really does seem to suggest I'll get both sets of 8 SWUs as ExecPlat and Chairman's, and I think they need to clarify.

FWIW even though I'll have 225k combined EQM on both, I am not a high-revenue flyer at all. I have spent about $6k for all those EQM, buttressed by a targeted 3x EQM program on US and a bunch of cheap & mistake long-haul fares. :-/
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
And you still don't get it. pmUS did not require stickers to upgrade this route, and the complimentary upgrade rate was already high for US Plat and US CP. But now, the amount of flying I do in a year will get me the ability to upgrade it exactly twice, and that's only if I never try to upgrade any other flight.

There is nothing "beautiful" about that. It's a strict devaluation, and I don't understand why so many people have a hard time getting it.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
My most frequent route right now is MCI-CLT-BDL. If I'm understanding correctly, I'd need to fly 40k miles just to earn enough stickers to upgrade that once. Compared to right now when I get upgraded on MCI-CLT/CLT-MCI routinely and have a decent shot at CLT-BDL/BDL-CLT (granted, the last one I bought F because it wasn't terribly expensive and fit with where I thought I'd want my PQMs to be, but I'm not gonna do that every time).

If you can't understand being angry and seeing that as a devaluation, or if you think that somehow doing that trip in the back of the bus every couple of weeks (which is how often I fly it right now) will somehow magically get better, then I don't know how to begin explaining it to you.
I'm an AA EXP out of Connecticut -- so I fly that same route a lot too. I usually route via ORD. BDL-ORD is on E75s and currently receives a cold meal. Two stickers needed (none if in Y or B class, or if you can make EXP); ORD-MCI will become a sticker-free flight under the new configuration. BOS-ORD and LGA-ORD are also two-sticker options and receive a hot meal.

So one round-trip would cost you 4 stickers. You earn that every 10,000 EQMs, or, worst case, you pay $120. The super-apex fare generally runs around $600, so you are paying an additional 20% to upgrade into F.

Yes, this is different than free. But I expect AA will grant lots of stickers to pmUS flyers plus I also expect they will implement some kind of EQM-based upgrade prioritization for the post-merger platinum tier because of the large group of flyers at that level.

Also, let's all please stay civil. I also fly BDL-CLT from time to time and have enjoyed the wider and cleaner US Airbus planes, and the US frequent flyers have been polite, well-dressed, and certainly every bit as equal to the AA flyers I see on BDL-DFW.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
This is the key, which I wish people would understand. As a PLT, I upgraded at least 75% of the time on AA when i CHOSE to upgrade. The reality was, I skipped it for many flights.

Go ask a gold at DL how often they get an upgrade.
Or ask a UA Gold. And for that matter ask a UA 1K how much they get upgraded versus an AA EXP.

Plus AA doesn't do TODs, when Elites have upgrade requests.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by veliger
I really don't see how any FF of any value couldn't hit the very modest revenue thresholds at Delta and United.
If you fly with partners (including flights booked through joint venture partners, partnerships which are required by the DOT to be "metal-neutral"), it's very easy to not hit the revenue thresholds, since partner flights don't earn elite qualifying dollars with either UA or DL. This is even if you spend considerably more than the revenue requirement.

This is why I hope that, if AA eventually moves to some sort of revenue requirement, they do it through a mechanism like eliminating EQMs (ie qualify on EQPs only, since they're weighted more to reflect revenue) than elite qualifying dollars, since EQDs are essentially impossible to implement tracking partner spend with neither an AA ticket nor flight number.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
New program still splits the concept of miles and points so you're still penalized for occasionally booking some deep discount fares mixed with premium cabins? And still no free confirmed flight changes for PLT?

Looks like I won't be moving back to AA any time soon - really unfortunate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.