Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold and youll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. Well keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: AA, UA
AAdvantage is remaining status quo, with a few changes. In a USAToday article, Suzanne Rubin mentioned they need to integrate first - reservations, IT, etc. Then they would consider further changes. In other words, any significant changes (ie 4 elite tiers, revenue based, unlimited upgrades, etc) would come after they completed integration.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: AA XP, MR Plat
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Why necessary? Because they just got more $$ out of you and you get the same benefit.
Actually they get less money from me. I usually end up at about 100-104 segments. 120 is out of my reach. First Class upgrades was my number 1 priority. Without those who cares what airline I fly on. Since they will be few and far between as a platinum and stuck in coach most of the time, might as well pick any airline.

This is a big mistake from my point of view. They just discouraged me from flying AA. They will loose at least 10-12 flights a year from me if this sticks.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finally, a Parkerization that doesn't attempt to "fix what ain't broken." @:-)

I'd guess that future years will see something more like DL and UA, but smart of him to not impose all that change before the airlines are integrated.

Earlier I speculated that AA could offer huge RDM bonuses for high fares and/or business or first class fares to match the DL/UA RDM benefits while not punishing the low-fare buyers the way DL and UA have chosen to act.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA 3M Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by headinclouds
I believe that most AA flights under 500 miles are RJ's, usually without 1st class. Does US have many flights with 1st class, but less than 500 miles? I can't think of many.
DELETE..Mis read question
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
Ah, so it's the DisAAdvantage program rules. Tiers are:
  • 25k miles -- screw you
  • 50k miles -- screw you
  • 100k miles -- HAIL LORD GOD OF ALL CREATION WE PRAISE THEE

And wow is that ever a gigantic middle finger extended to the US Plats. Was going to try to hit the 85k "special dividend" tier, but now it's just as worthless as all the worthless post-50k miles I already have.
All mid-tier elites (pmAA plat; pmUS gold and platinum; pmAA 2mm lifetimers) will get 100% RDM bonus. That is a nice and valuable benefit.

I think pmUS platinums may not realize that upgrades clear more easily mid-tier AA than other carriers _because_ of the cost component of the e500 electronic sticker upgrade instrument. People tend to husband their upgrades since they have value.

It's not as awful for pmUS platinums as some think.

I also wager that upgrade priority within the middle platinum tier will eventually (maybe not until end of 2015 when reservation systems are combined) utilize the US method of ranking by previous year mileage.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by flipside
Basically because US flyers at 75k had something and it was taken away.. AA flyers never had at anything at the point.
At the very least, the 75k fliers should get:

1. Higher priority for upgrades
2. A faster rate of earning stickers (maybe 8/10k instead of 4/10k)

#2 they can get without a new level - it can be implemented via a threshold bonus. #1, that's going to hurt if they also keep the AA tie-breaker system.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by 1AAFlyer
Will there be a change in lifetime ex plat or plat status?
I believe they specifically address that issue in today's announcement..the program will be retained as is.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:52 am

I don't understand all the angst about the loss of the 75K tier. As I understand it, here's what US Platinum fliers got before:
  • Free upgrades at 96 hours out
  • 75% mileage bonus
  • 2 free bags and priority baggage handling
  • Reserve preferred seats
  • Some sort of priority reservations line
  • Guaranteed full-fare availability if booked 24 hours in advance
  • Priority check-in, boarding, etc.
  • No award processing or close-in fees
  • Priority standby
  • Confirmed move to an earlier flight (within 6 hours) for free
  • $400 club membership

Whereas, here's what AAdvantage Platinum gets (differences in bold/strike-through):
  • Sticker upgrades at 72 hours out
  • 100% mileage bonus
  • 2 free bags and priority baggage handling
  • Reserve preferred seats
  • Some sort of priority reservations line
  • Guaranteed full-fare availability if booked 24 hours in advance
  • Priority check-in, boarding, etc.
  • No award processing or close-in fees
  • Priority standby
  • Confirmed move to an earlier flight (within 6 hours) for free
  • $400 club membership

So it seems like you're complimentary upgrades for sticker upgrades, losing 24 hours in terms of the upgrade window, and losing the confirmed move to an earlier flight for free or to buy a full Y ticket on 24 hours notice. On the other hand, you get 25% more RDMs.

The swap from complimentary to sticker is a philosophical change more than an upgrade or a downgrade. You'll note that a lot of people on the AAdvantage side prefer it. I certainly liked being able to pick my spots when I was Platinum, knowing that I'd have a greater probability of upgrading on the flights that I really cared about. In any case, even if there was a 75K tier, this change would likely have applied so it's unrelated to the loss of the 75K level.

The other three changes (72 vs 96 hour upgrade window and loss of Move Up and buying a full Y ticket on a full flight) seem really minor to me, and probably more than offset by the bigger RDM bonus. To me all the grousing about the lack of a Platinum level seems really petty in the face of a program that appears much, much better than any other domestic option in the US for next year.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
It's a good dAAy.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Looks like there's a huge (one-time) loophole for elite qualification for the first half of next year. Credit all your paid business/first travel to US Airways and earn a 50% PQM bonus. Then those PQMs get converted to AAdvantage EQMs mid-year, and you retain the 50% PQM bonus as EQMs.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by luckypierre
I believe they specifically address that issue in today's announcement..the program will be retained as is.
Didn't see it specifically but will our US lifetime miles be added to our AA lifetime miles?
Does US even track that?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:57 am

Jordyn...what you don't realize is MANY US Platinums were getting complimentary upgrades 75% of the time, or more. That's why this will be very upsetting to them.

As a 50k flyer I'm not too upset but the loss of free companion upgrades is a real bummer. Backing out 500 mile flights I am probably only at 20% for upgrades anyways but now will have to burn stickers if I have a companion too.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by headinclouds
I believe that most AA flights under 500 miles are RJ's, usually without 1st class. Does US have many flights with 1st class, but less than 500 miles? I can't think of many.
Most of my flights under 500 miles are on mainline - DFW- MCI, AUS, SAT, HOU, IAH, OKC, TUL, LIT, CRP...

That being said, there are plenty of RJ flights, too. Some on those routes, but I try my best to avoid them.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:58 am

Seems like a good combining of the programs for now. The new AA will see how revenue-based earnings go at UA and DL and then decide the following year what they're going to do on that (and other) fronts.

I think it's smart to keep this part of the integration as simple and undisruptive as possible. If they need to make changes to the combined program, they'll have a year of combined program information and data to makes those changes.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by wimp1000
I cancelled 3 Platinum level Citi cards and told the rep at Citibank I was changing to Southwest, due to the new award criteria, or lack thereof, and I cant believe I am the only one doing so. Maybe somebody up the line realizes what is happening. The cards generated about 150M a year to AA.
Southwest? Not even going to try UA or DL first? Have fun...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.