Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 9:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by donotblink

i upgraded earlier this year and they gave me a new account number, I've continued to use my old card just fine though---never actually activated the replacement silver card. FYI
From my upgrade invitation email:
Your account number and expiration date will stay the same. You’ll simply receive a new card (with more benefits) in the mail. Additionally, your existing account balance, transaction history and miles will be automatically transferred to your new, upgraded card.
When I received the silver card, the account number and expiration date were the same as those of the red card.
jtav559 likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nall
Granted I upgraded a year or two ago, but my spending pre-conversion carried over towards the EQM.
So if I am already at 25K in spend, essentially on the day I convert I will hit the 20k spend threshold for the EQM?

Seems too good to be true but could also just see them not have a very good mechanism to track this stuff.
Old May 28, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by adambadam
So if I am already at 25K in spend, essentially on the day I convert I will hit the 20k spend threshold for the EQM?

Seems too good to be true but could also just see them not have a very good mechanism to track this stuff.
I upgraded this year and had already hit $25K before upgrading. I did get the EQM's but it took maybe 4-6 weeks to post. I think my EQD's posted on March 24, I upgraded as of about April 6, and I think that right after my May statement closed, I got the EQM's "as of" my April statement date. So you should get them, but it will take a little processing time, which I doubt matters that much at this point in the year.
adambadam likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Quick question for big spenders: Do the bonus EQMs that you get for spend help towards getting 500 mile stickers?
Old May 30, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: All of them, Katie
Quick question for big spenders: Do the bonus EQMs that you get for spend help towards getting 500 mile stickers?
No.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
They seem not to, although I don't see anything in the T&C that say why you shouldn't.
Old May 31, 2018, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Nope it is butt in seat miles
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Some of you have noted that your CC statement suggested you reached the $25K spend level to earn the EQM/EDQ?

Is that specifically stated on the monthly statement after you do hit $25K?

I've just been tracking mine in Excel. But I should have crossed $25K before my June statement, and I do not see anything on my June statement about this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by econometrics
Some of you have noted that your CC statement suggested you reached the $25K spend level to earn the EQM/EDQ?

Is that specifically stated on the monthly statement after you do hit $25K?

I've just been tracking mine in Excel. But I should have crossed $25K before my June statement, and I do not see anything on my June statement about this.

If you can access your account online (not mobile) it shows your progress towards the various milestones.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by asf-07
If you can access your account online (not mobile) it shows your progress towards the various milestones.
Thank you! Didn't know about that. Just checked online and it's $27K, so I should be seeing the EQD/EQM soon. ^
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Anyone have tips on how to upgrade to the Silver? I opened the Red account last year, saw a link appear after I logged in to barclaycard website after 3 months, but now when I log in I don't see the link anymore. I called in and the agent said they can't upgrade unless it appears in their system and said to just keep checking. Have great credit and always pay balance off in full so don't think it's a credit issue. I saw someone post something about signing up for a bonus offer and that temporarily disabling the upgrade ability. I did get a bonus offer based on hitting some minimum spend but think it ended at least 3 months ago.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:43 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
Anyone have tips on how to upgrade to the Silver? I opened the Red account last year, saw a link appear after I logged in to barclaycard website after 3 months, but now when I log in I don't see the link anymore. I called in and the agent said they can't upgrade unless it appears in their system and said to just keep checking. Have great credit and always pay balance off in full so don't think it's a credit issue. I saw someone post something about signing up for a bonus offer and that temporarily disabling the upgrade ability. I did get a bonus offer based on hitting some minimum spend but think it ended at least 3 months ago.
I received the invitation to upgrade to Silver approximately eight months after opening my original AAdvantage Aviator account and two or three months after earning the $3,000 EQDs bonus by charging $25,000 on that card.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
One thing to check is to make sure you don't have an ad blocker enabled when logging into barclays. In the past that has blocked the upgrade offer from appearing.
MorganB and flyerbobflyer like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by ellinj
One thing to check is to make sure you don't have an ad blocker enabled when logging into barclays. In the past that has blocked the upgrade offer from appearing.
I've been looking for the Silver upgrade for months and never seen it. I've had the red card for 3 years and remember getting a mailing to upgrade to silver a year or two ago. Called for the upgrade a couple months ago and they said it has to be in their system as an available offer, which it was not.

Then I saw this. I turned off my ad blocker, went back to my CC account home page, and on the right side is a column of "ads" including my total miles, view my FICO score, earn miles on booking.com, and learn more about my chip card. There was also one about upgrading my experience. I don't remember exactly what it said, but it wasn't obvious it was a CC upgrade. It was rather nondescript but I clicked on it and low and behold it was an offer to upgrade to the silver card.

I can't say if turning off my ad blocker helped or if I just hadn't noticed the Upgrade your Experience hiding there on the side before. But maybe this will help others know where to look and how to find it if it's available to them.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:46 am

I've had the Aviator Red since January. Called yesterday and upgraded to Silver in less than 4 minutes on the phone.

Already hit my spend minimums for $3K EQD, so I'm looking forward to the 5K EQM from the Silver posting soon, too. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.