Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2021, 11:20 am

Pretty sure I just shared a link. Maybe it's invisible?
Old Jul 31, 2021, 8:57 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by vasantn
I believe it's true only for in-flight offers. I could be wrong. And Barclays tends to pull from TransUnion.
Here is a working link for the application:

Welcome to the AAdvantage® Aviator® Red World Elite Mastercard® Secure Application
Earn 60,000 bonus miles

First checked bag free

$0 intro annual fee the first year, then $99
The site seems to be experiencing intermittent technical issues, so you may have to try again later.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Has there been any recent news regarding the AA shutdowns that were taking place around Nov 2019 - Feb 2020 (i.e. additional rounds of shutdowns, whether or not anyone was able to get re-instated, whether it was Barclays+Citi SUB's triggering the shutdowns or just Citi, etc.)?

I don't recall hearing anything on this topic since early 2020.

Trying to figure out if it is safe to sign up for AA cards again (I've got a large six-figure balance so I'm taking a pretty cautious approach)
Old Jul 31, 2021, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by HoKo
Has there been any recent news regarding the AA shutdowns that were taking place around Nov 2019 - Feb 2020 (i.e. additional rounds of shutdowns, whether or not anyone was able to get re-instated, whether it was Barclays+Citi SUB's triggering the shutdowns or just Citi, etc.)?

I don't recall hearing anything on this topic since early 2020.

Trying to figure out if it is safe to sign up for AA cards again (I've got a large six-figure balance so I'm taking a pretty cautious approach)
Weren’t those shutdowns all tied to SUB abuse? I think if you’re just looking to open a couple of AA cards using legitimate SUBs that you received or offers available to the public then there shouldn’t be any worry.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 31, 2021, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Weren’t those shutdowns all tied to SUB abuse? I think if you’re just looking to open a couple of AA cards using legitimate SUBs that you received or offers available to the public then there shouldn’t be any worry.

-FlyerBeek
Yup, it was SUB abuse. But based on various DP's AA seemed to set a surprisingly low threshold for what they considered abuse. IIRC the general consensus was that 3-4 SUB's in a span of two years was the threshold for shutdown. Given the number of Citi AA products that exist it was not outlandish for someone to have had 4 SUB's in that timespan without any crazy shenanigans. I would have thought AA would go a bit higher...perhaps something like 6 SUB's would've been a more reasonable cutoff IMO.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 10:36 am

Has anyone had luck getting the 60k mile bonus having previously been a red holder with a card that was closed over 2 years ago? The T&Cs indicate that the offer is valid only for people who have *never* been aviator red holders before, but that seems unusual given how most airline cards work.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by gutenmorgan
Has anyone had luck getting the 60k mile bonus having previously been a red holder with a card that was closed over 2 years ago? The T&Cs indicate that the offer is valid only for people who have *never* been aviator red holders before, but that seems unusual given how most airline cards work.
I think the answer is yes. I had an Aviator Red maybe 3 years ago and downgraded it to Silver, which I still have. I called first to ask if I'd be eligible for the bonus on a new card and she said "yes". I asked her to notate that on my account, so I assume she did.

The deal I got was 60,000 miles after any purchase and paying the $99 annual fee, which seemed like a good deal. Of course, not long after I did that, they offered it with the annual fee waived for the first year, which is an even better deal, but I had already accepted the prior offer.

I originally got my Aviator card as a conversion from American West, so that may or may not have made a difference. While I haven't received the bonus yet, Barclay's site does show I've qualified and I'd imagine they'll be credited in the coming weeks.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 12:12 pm

Mine was converted from a US Air card back in the day, and has also been gone for a few years. At 0 annual fee I suppose it's worth a shot. Fingers crossed!
Old Aug 6, 2021, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by gutenmorgan
Mine was converted from a US Air card back in the day, and has also been gone for a few years. At 0 annual fee I suppose it's worth a shot. Fingers crossed!
Please report back. I am in the same boat.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 1:29 pm

Here’s a screenshot and as mentioned I had the card maybe three years ago.
466SHH likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
After I put my first purchase on the card when will the welcome bonus hit?
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:44 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
After I put my first purchase on the card when will the welcome bonus hit?
After your next statement closing date.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 9:51 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by fwfdan
My understanding is that you cannot get more than one new card bonus on the Red card, is that correct? I got the card in 2018 and cancelled a year later and thought it was an once and done like AMEX. Is that correct?
Did you try for a second time?
Old Aug 19, 2021, 8:16 pm

Does anyone have any idea if spend on Red this year would transfer if I convert to Silver? I'm looking for ways to earn the 3K EDQ bonus without smarting from scratch. This is my first year earning status on AA. Currently at PP with no chance of spending enough EQDs to get EXP (EQD-$6723, EQM-70k, EQS-76). I'll reach the EQM requirement easily. Thanks
Old Aug 19, 2021, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by runnigel;[url=tel:33505042
33505042[/url]]Does anyone have any idea if spend on Red this year would transfer if I convert to Silver? I'm looking for ways to earn the 3K EDQ bonus without smarting from scratch. This is my first year earning status on AA. Currently at PP with no chance of spending enough EQDs to get EXP (EQD-$6723, EQM-70k, EQS-76). I'll reach the EQM requirement easily. Thanks
It did last year when I upgraded. Granted, it was only half a month’s worth in January. Call and ask to confirm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.