Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:04 am

My EQD for 2017 disappeared overnight! I show an entry in activity for 12/31, but only for 1 bonus mile and now show $3,000 fewer EQD for 2017. And none for 2018 above what I have earned for flying. I seem to be zigging while the rest of you are zagging.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Any recent reports of switching to Silver? I've had the card about two years now and I'm looking to convert -- it seems like a much better deal than the Citi cards at this point. Also, will my current spend toward EQD/EQM this year "switch over" from Red to Silver?

If not, I'm going to try to convert once I hit the EQD spend requirement this year.
I called in mid Dec about my annual fee posting. Was waved without much hassle. A bonus spending offer for 5k miles after 1k spending was mentioned. I asked about the Silver card as well, upgrade offer was available. I could either take the bonus offer or the upgrade offer, but not both at the same time or one after the other. Apparently, Barclays will only give offers once every 90 days. Or they "refresh" in your account that often. So my accepting of the bonus miles has limited my ability to upgrade from Red to Silver. I called again last week, still no upgrade offer.

But since spending rolls over, I will just plug along in early 2018 on the Red card and MS that at a steady rate, and likely upgrade sometime later in the year to Silver when that offer is available again. Easy enough!
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by orvando
just got off the phone with a sort of loony barclays agent who, when i voiced my displeasure with the Aviator Silver as compared with the Citi Exec (in at attempt to get a retention offer) mentioned that there is a new HIGHER annual fee barclays product, but would give me no further details as my account was not eligible to change to it. does anyone have a clue what she was talking about???
Not one clue. But I would certainly tie her "loony" demeanor with the equally loony idea that another AA card product from Barclays would come out. I don't think it makes much sense for Barclays to offer another higher card level when the silver is already , IMHO, a better card than the Citi Exec when you take the AC access out of the picture. It was my understanding that Citi had the exclusive on the AC access benefit? Not sure how Barclays could also offer that access on this supposed super premium card. Maybe I am mis-remembering that fact.

But, if some other small rumblings of AA moving away from Citi are true, an AA card from Barclays with AC access would likely happen.

All that said, if 100k sign up bonus is offered on this mythical new card, you bet I will be getting it to churn
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by lkar
My EQD for 2017 disappeared overnight! I show an entry in activity for 12/31, but only for 1 bonus mile and now show $3,000 fewer EQD for 2017. And none for 2018 above what I have earned for flying. I seem to be zigging while the rest of you are zagging.
I'm still waiting for my EQM to post. Just spoke with Barclay today and they said they were super sorry; it would be an additional 7-10 days. I can't imagine they'd be as chill about missing deadlines if it was me missing my payment date.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:26 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Wrong thread
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by jtav559
But, if some other small rumblings of AA moving away from Citi are true, an AA card from Barclays with AC access would likely happen. All that said, if 100k sign up bonus is offered on this mythical new card, you bet I will be getting it to churn
i wonder if the agent was referring to one of the Luxury Card products. has anyone ever been offered a product change to one of those from an AA product?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:59 pm

I didn't receive my 10K Aviator Red cardmember anniversary bonus this year, which have received for the last two years since conversion. I was under the impression that I was grandfathered in from the original US Airways mastercard anniversary policy. I also notice that others are still receiving 10K. Any idea why this would have changed for me?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Not really. The one card in our household that is grandfathered in came through with the 10,000 miles, right on schedule, a little less than two weeks ago. So I doubt that what has happened to you is system wide. Has your AF hit? I would call in.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:59 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
In regard to asking for a CLI, the consensus on the internet for Barclay's seems to be 6 months.

Does anyone know if that means:

6 months from the approval date?
6 months from the First Statement?
Or, The 6th statement?

Card Approved 9-2-17
First statement that shows on my account is 9-21-17 but states "no transactions" meaning, I didn't pay my annual fee until after 9-21 statement.
First statement with any transactions is 10-22-17

I was hoping for an auto-CLI after yesterday's statement (2-22-17), but I am going to go big and request a Hard Pull for even more. They started me at $9,600 but I am trying to get to $25k as my taxes are due soon and I usually put them on my DL AMEX, but I switched most of my flying to AA now.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 355F1
In regard to asking for a CLI, the consensus on the internet for Barclay's seems to be 6 months.

Does anyone know if that means:

6 months from the approval date?
6 months from the First Statement?
Or, The 6th statement?

Card Approved 9-2-17
First statement that shows on my account is 9-21-17 but states "no transactions" meaning, I didn't pay my annual fee until after 9-21 statement.
First statement with any transactions is 10-22-17

I was hoping for an auto-CLI after yesterday's statement (2-22-17), but I am going to go big and request a Hard Pull for even more. They started me at $9,600 but I am trying to get to $25k as my taxes are due soon and I usually put them on my DL AMEX, but I switched most of my flying to AA now.
Barclay doesn't do auto CLI, I've had mine for over 7 yrs (US Card) and all of my CLI I've had to ask for it, and yes, it is a hard pull.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:39 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Barclay doesn't do auto CLI, I've had mine for over 7 yrs (US Card) and all of my CLI I've had to ask for it, and yes, it is a hard pull.
I am fine with a HP.

But do they have a certain number of months the card needs to be open before they will entertain a hard-pull CLI?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 355F1
I am fine with a HP.

But do they have a certain number of months the card needs to be open before they will entertain a hard-pull CLI?
My first CLI I did within a year of having the card and I was increased by 5K, I have the highest CL with my Barclay card, Why not call them and see what they say.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:46 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
My first CLI I did within a year of having the card and I was increased by 5K, I have the highest CL with my Barclay card, Why not call them and see what they say.
Will do. thank you for your replies! ^^
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:04 pm

Questions about AAdvantage Aviator Red card

I received two applications (with promote codes) for the AAdvantage Aviator Red card on my AA RT flights. It seems like I can get 50K miles for $95 annual fee and a single purchase. A great deal. Questions:

- Can I apply for two cards under my name and get 100K miles?
- How long will it take to get the miles after paying for the annual fee and making a purchase?
- When applying online, I was asked for the travel date. Are they verifying that the applicant had actually taken a flight.
- Can the promote code be used by someone other than the traveler?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by getmethere
I received two applications (with promote codes) for the AAdvantage Aviator Red card on my AA RT flights. It seems like I can get 50K miles for $95 annual fee and a single purchase. A great deal. Questions:

- Can I apply for two cards under my name and get 100K miles?
- How long will it take to get the miles after paying for the annual fee and making a purchase?
- When applying online, I was asked for the travel date. Are they verifying that the applicant had actually taken a flight.
- Can the promote code be used by someone other than the traveler?
You neither need a "code" nor the dates of your travel. That is just flight attendants trying to convince you that you are getting a special offer.

The terms you reference are the standard offer that anyone and everyone can receive. Found here:
https://home.barclaycardus.com/cards...astercard.html

Regards

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.