Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Archive Of ORIGINAL AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard

FOR CURRENT THREAD SEE HERE.

NOTE: The BarclayCard US Airways Aviator credit cards were offered to US Airways Dividend Miles members and "grandfathered in" to the AAdvantage program. Now you can sign up for several Aviator cards, though the Silver Card is generally available after one has had another Aviator Card at least three months.

There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. An April 2015 article on The Points Guy details them.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator (Jason Steele, April 13th, 2015).

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to FT thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Red applications are available at the airport or in flight in 2017, or online at https://home.barclaycardus.com

New Red cardholders may apply to upgrade to Aviator Silver after 90 days. Existing Red cardholders (prior to 2017) may apply to upgrade to Silver at any time.

Aviator Silver offers EQM:

"Additional Benefits of your Account

Elite Qualifying Miles

The primary cardmember may earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles ("EQMs") after spending $20,000 in Net Purchases that post to the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account from January 1st through December 31st each calendar year. The primary cardmember may earn an additional 5,000 AAdvantage® EQMs each calendar year when the cardmember reaches $40,000 in spending on Net Purchases with the AAdvantage Aviator Silver account during the same period. An AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver primary cardmember may earn the maximum 10,000 EQMs once per calendar year, unless the cardmember has already earned the maximum number of EQMs through another AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account. EQMs earned are in addition to the AAdvantage miles earned for Net Purchases made on the AAdvantage®Aviator™ Silver account. Net Purchases exclude returned goods and services, cash advances, convenience checks, transferred balances, credits, fees and interest charges. Net Purchases made by authorized users through additional cards on the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account will count toward the primary cardmember's qualifying spend. EQMs earned as a result of this benefit will typically be posted to the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account 6-8 weeks after meeting the spend requirement. EQMs will not count toward Million Miler℠ status. EQMs cannot be redeemed for award travel, AAdvantage® miles or any other AAdvantage® program awards. EQMs earned with the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account qualify toward the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® program elite status earning requirements each calendar year, subject to the limits under the Reward Rules and the AAdvantage® Program. Full details on elite status and qualifications are available in the AAdvantage® section of aa.com."

Both cards will offer spend offsets to the required Elite Qualifying Dollar spend in 2017.[/B]

Spend $25,000 or more on a Barclaycard-issued American AAdvantage Aviator Red credit card and earn 3,000 EQD.

Spend $25,000 on a Barclaycard-issued AAdvantage Aviator Silver credit card and earn an additional 3,000 EQD - a second $25,000 spend will earn another 3,000 EQD.

You can not hold both cards and combine earnings. You can notvearn more than $6,000 EQD spend offset in one year. Qualifying purchases are 1 Jan - 31 Dec of one year.

See EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Card – announcement, details for further information.

and FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and Partner Airlines (2017 on)

Spend $20,000 on your Silver card in one calendar year, earn 5,000 EQM; spend a total of $40,000 or more on your Silver card, earn 5,000 more EQM.

Above updated 16 Feb 2017 - JDiver

What are the benefits of the Aviator Silver card?
  • Earn 3X miles for every dollar spent on eligible US Airways and American Airlines purchases
  • Earn 2X miles for every dollar spent on hotels and car rentals
  • Earn 1X miles for every dollar spent on all other purchases
  • Earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles for each $20,000 in annual purchases (10,000 maximum EQMs per year)
  • First checked bag free for you and up to 8 companions traveling on the same reservation
  • A Companion Certificate good for up to 2 guests at $99 each will be issued each year after your account anniversary when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases (taxes and fees apply)
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • Premium Servicing including US-based Customer Service, World Elite Concierge and Luxury Travel Benefits
  • Receive 10% of your redeemed miles back, up to 10,000 miles each calendar year
  • Apply for Global Entry with TSA PreCheck and, upon approval, experience expedited, more efficient security screenings, moving you smoothly through U.S. Customs when returning from traveling abroad. Pay for the $100 Global Entry application fee with your card and you'll automatically receive a $100 statement credit 2-3 weeks after your transaction.
    • With this benefit, the primary cardmember can receive one application fee statement credit every 5 years when the Global Entry membership needs to be renewed.
What are the terms of the 10% rebate benefit?
According to the Aviator card FAQ,
For this benefit to apply, your account must be open and active at the time of redemption.

The American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles you will earn through this benefit will be based on 10% of the total AAdvantage miles you redeem each month during the calendar year. The maximum number of AAdvantage® bonus miles that can be earned annually from this benefit is 10,000 AAdvantage bonus miles per calendar year and per AAdvantage® account, regardless of how many AAdvantage miles you redeem in that calendar year.

This benefit only applies to AAdvantage miles redeemed from the primary Cardmember’s AAdvantage® account. Please allow 6-8 weeks after your redemption for American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles to post to the primary Cardmember’s AAdvantage account.
Thus, this benefit
  • applies to all miles redemptions, regardless of the passenger name on the airline ticket or other award.
  • is limited to 10,000 miles in rebates per calendar year, regardless of how many Barclays and/or Citi AA cards you have.

For additional information about the 10% rebate benefit, see FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (consolidated)and the associated wiki.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Switching primary cardholders?

I'm the primary cardholder of an Aviator Red card and my wife (same address, same surname) is an authorized user. My travel will increase considerably in 2018 and I won't need the extra 3000 EQDs, however, her travel is scaling back in 2018 so she will need the extra EQDs.

Is there a way to change the account so she becomes the primary cardholder with me as an AU? We'd prefer not to close the account and get new cards and numbers.

And yes, my next step is to call Barclays and ask, but I figured I'd try to get a base of knowledge here
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I'm the primary cardholder of an Aviator Red card and my wife (same address, same surname) is an authorized user. My travel will increase considerably in 2018 and I won't need the extra 3000 EQDs, however, her travel is scaling back in 2018 so she will need the extra EQDs.

Is there a way to change the account so she becomes the primary cardholder with me as an AU? We'd prefer not to close the account and get new cards and numbers.

And yes, my next step is to call Barclays and ask, but I figured I'd try to get a base of knowledge here
No she needs her own card
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Yes, I'd also like to know whether others have been able to do this trick. I plan to hit the EQD threshhold at the very end of 2017, hoping that the EQD will post in 2018 and count towards 2018 qualifying. I have no idea whether this is a sound strategy.
I'm going to try it this year. I'll spend my last dollar around December 28 and we'll just have to see what ends up happening. I'll be sure to post in January once I know. Worst case, I get an extra $3,000 EQD this year to help toward upgrade priority I suppose.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EP
Barclays says that hitting threshold based on spend in 2017, but with the transfer to AA, will count as 2017 as the transaction date was 2017

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Yes, I'd also like to know whether others have been able to do this trick. I plan to hit the EQD threshhold at the very end of 2017, hoping that the EQD will post in 2018 and count towards 2018 qualifying. I have no idea whether this is a sound strategy.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Barclays says that hitting threshold based on spend in 2017, but with the transfer to AA, will count as 2017 as the transaction date was 2017
I'm skeptical but we shall see.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
No she needs her own card
Also tried to do this for someone on a different card and there's no way. You have to apply for a new card to be the primary.

As of October 2017 there is no problem getting multiple Aviator Red cards, but you will need to call in to get approved. When I called in they asked me: "I see you have an Aviator Red card already. Why do you want a second one?" My answer was: "I plan to upgrade one to the Silver card if I'm approved for a second Red."
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Got my Aviator red September 12. Spend on the Aviator red is $45k this year. Want to upgrade to Silver. Still waiting for it to be available. Assuming I get approved for upgrade to Silver this calendar year, would EQM hit for this qualification year? I'll end the year at 97,000 EQM, would love to retain EXP with these EQM. Or should I plan one more mileage run for the year?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:35 pm

once u sign up for silver, it doesn't become effective till the beginning of ur next billing cycle. So check the date and make sure u will be upgraded in 2017,

Originally Posted by jpasiczn
Got my Aviator red September 12. Spend on the Aviator red is $45k this year. Want to upgrade to Silver. Still waiting for it to be available. Assuming I get approved for upgrade to Silver this calendar year, would EQM hit for this qualification year? I'll end the year at 97,000 EQM, would love to retain EXP with these EQM. Or should I plan one more mileage run for the year?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:38 pm

AA has said that it will post as 2017 -- just like in previous years if u hit an EQMs in late December, it would post early jan with the previous year's date. Of course u can't easily see this actually posting . But now AA will tell u ur previous year's EQMs on the app (and prob on the web)...

In my specific case, I hit an EQM milestone and the EQMs were in my account about 4 days later with the date that I hit the milestone. I also rreached the $25K in mid September and the EQDs posted about 5 days later.

Originally Posted by lkar
I'm skeptical but we shall see.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Something happened to my web page; yesterday there was no rewards tab (I recently crossed the EQM threshold so I have been a bit obsessive) and today the rewards tab now includes EQD and EQM. I had not seen an EQD counter before..
Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
End Of Year - Mileage Posting - Barclays

Here's a question I have that I bet other people have run into...

My billing statement for my Barclays card ends mid-month. I am very close to hitting the spending requirement for another 5K EQM's. I don't really need them for the 2017 year, but could definitely use them for the 2018 year.

If I end up crossing the spending requirement line after the mid-month billing period in December, would my 5K EQM earnings go toward my 2017 earning year? Or, since the miles probably wouldn't post until January, would they go towards my 2018 earning year?

I'd appreciate anyone's input who has been in this situation before.

Thanks!
-Matt
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:28 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with existing thread discussing BarclayCard and posting of EQD/EQM. Thanks. /Moderator
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GNRMatt

My billing statement for my Barclays card ends mid-month. I am very close to hitting the spending requirement for another 5K EQM's. I don't really need them for the 2017 year, but could definitely use them for the 2018 year.

If I end up crossing the spending requirement line after the mid-month billing period in December, would my 5K EQM earnings go toward my 2017 earning year? Or, since the miles probably wouldn't post until January, would they go towards my 2018 earning year?

Thanks!
-Matt
There is talk about this in this thread, I'm betting that since the spend was done in 2017, it won't count for 2018.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ckendall
Something happened to my web page; yesterday there was no rewards tab (I recently crossed the EQM threshold so I have been a bit obsessive) and today the rewards tab now includes EQD and EQM. I had not seen an EQD counter before..
EQD counter is definitely new. I saw it yesterday when I went to pay my bill.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt

Thanks!
-Matt
The prevailing wisdom in this thread seems to be that they will figure out a way to credit EQM and EQD to the current year even if the spend is made very late in 2017. I'm going to test it this year. I'll wait until 12/28 to spend the last dollar and we'll see.

For what it's worth though, EQM and EQD usually post before the end of the billing statement in which the spending requirement is met. Mine posted this year about 10 to 14 days after the spending that gave rise to the bonus posted, even though I still had time left in my billing cycle. So if you're going to give it a try, I would wait until very late in December and not too early. What would be especially interesting is spend on 12/31 that doesn't post until 1/1 or 1/2 but I don't think I'm going to wait that long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.