Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards

Old Sep 28, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Archive Of ORIGINAL AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard

FOR CURRENT THREAD SEE HERE.

NOTE: The BarclayCard US Airways Aviator credit cards were offered to US Airways Dividend Miles members and "grandfathered in" to the AAdvantage program. Now you can sign up for several Aviator cards, though the Silver Card is generally available after one has had another Aviator Card at least three months.

There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. An April 2015 article on The Points Guy details them.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator (Jason Steele, April 13th, 2015).

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Link to American Airlines AAdvantage Aviator Red MasterCard Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to American Airlines AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite MasterCard Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to FT thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Red applications are available at the airport or in flight in 2017, or online at https://home.barclaycardus.com

New Red cardholders may apply to upgrade to Aviator Silver after 90 days. Existing Red cardholders (prior to 2017) may apply to upgrade to Silver at any time.

Aviator Silver offers EQM:

"Additional Benefits of your Account

Elite Qualifying Miles

The primary cardmember may earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles ("EQMs") after spending $20,000 in Net Purchases that post to the AAdvantage Aviator Silver account from January 1st through December 31st each calendar year. The primary cardmember may earn an additional 5,000 AAdvantage EQMs each calendar year when the cardmember reaches $40,000 in spending on Net Purchases with the AAdvantage Aviator Silver account during the same period. An AAdvantage Aviator Silver primary cardmember may earn the maximum 10,000 EQMs once per calendar year, unless the cardmember has already earned the maximum number of EQMs through another AAdvantage Aviator Silver account. EQMs earned are in addition to the AAdvantage miles earned for Net Purchases made on the AAdvantageAviator Silver account. Net Purchases exclude returned goods and services, cash advances, convenience checks, transferred balances, credits, fees and interest charges. Net Purchases made by authorized users through additional cards on the primary cardmember's AAdvantage Aviator Silver account will count toward the primary cardmember's qualifying spend. EQMs earned as a result of this benefit will typically be posted to the primary cardmember's AAdvantage account 6-8 weeks after meeting the spend requirement. EQMs will not count toward Million Miler℠ status. EQMs cannot be redeemed for award travel, AAdvantage miles or any other AAdvantage program awards. EQMs earned with the AAdvantage Aviator Silver account qualify toward the primary cardmember's AAdvantage program elite status earning requirements each calendar year, subject to the limits under the Reward Rules and the AAdvantage Program. Full details on elite status and qualifications are available in the AAdvantage section of aa.com."

Both cards will offer spend offsets to the required Elite Qualifying Dollar spend in 2017.[/B]

Spend $25,000 or more on a Barclaycard-issued American AAdvantage Aviator Red credit card and earn 3,000 EQD.

Spend $25,000 on a Barclaycard-issued AAdvantage Aviator Silver credit card and earn an additional 3,000 EQD - a second $25,000 spend will earn another 3,000 EQD.

You can not hold both cards and combine earnings. You can notvearn more than $6,000 EQD spend offset in one year. Qualifying purchases are 1 Jan - 31 Dec of one year.

See EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Card announcement, details for further information.

and FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and Partner Airlines (2017 on)

Spend $20,000 on your Silver card in one calendar year, earn 5,000 EQM; spend a total of $40,000 or more on your Silver card, earn 5,000 more EQM.

Above updated 16 Feb 2017 - JDiver

What are the benefits of the Aviator Silver card?
  • Earn 3X miles for every dollar spent on eligible US Airways and American Airlines purchases
  • Earn 2X miles for every dollar spent on hotels and car rentals
  • Earn 1X miles for every dollar spent on all other purchases
  • Earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles for each $20,000 in annual purchases (10,000 maximum EQMs per year)
  • First checked bag free for you and up to 8 companions traveling on the same reservation
  • A Companion Certificate good for up to 2 guests at $99 each will be issued each year after your account anniversary when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases (taxes and fees apply)
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • Premium Servicing including US-based Customer Service, World Elite Concierge and Luxury Travel Benefits
  • Receive 10% of your redeemed miles back, up to 10,000 miles each calendar year
  • Apply for Global Entry with TSA PreCheck and, upon approval, experience expedited, more efficient security screenings, moving you smoothly through U.S. Customs when returning from traveling abroad. Pay for the $100 Global Entry application fee with your card and you'll automatically receive a $100 statement credit 2-3 weeks after your transaction.
    • With this benefit, the primary cardmember can receive one application fee statement credit every 5 years when the Global Entry membership needs to be renewed.
What are the terms of the 10% rebate benefit?
According to the Aviator card FAQ,
For this benefit to apply, your account must be open and active at the time of redemption.

The American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles you will earn through this benefit will be based on 10% of the total AAdvantage miles you redeem each month during the calendar year. The maximum number of AAdvantage bonus miles that can be earned annually from this benefit is 10,000 AAdvantage bonus miles per calendar year and per AAdvantage account, regardless of how many AAdvantage miles you redeem in that calendar year.

This benefit only applies to AAdvantage miles redeemed from the primary Cardmembers AAdvantage account. Please allow 6-8 weeks after your redemption for American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles to post to the primary Cardmembers AAdvantage account.
Thus, this benefit
  • applies to all miles redemptions, regardless of the passenger name on the airline ticket or other award.
  • is limited to 10,000 miles in rebates per calendar year, regardless of how many Barclays and/or Citi AA cards you have.

For additional information about the 10% rebate benefit, see FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (consolidated)and the associated wiki.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards

Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Originally Posted by jimmyz1
please keep us updated- i am planning on the switch to silver and wonder if I need to stop spending at $19,999.99 prior to the switch taking effect!
I converted red to silver after having spent more than 40k this year, and the website indicate that I have met the threshold to get the 10k EQM. I did get the 5k EQ$ and the $100 certificate prior to converting.
Conversion happened in mid June and I have not seen yet the EQM in my AA account though.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Just curious if any of you use Apple Pay with this card, and if so, does the card show as a US Airways MasterCard instead of the AAdvantage Aviator card? Mine was a new account, not a legacy US Airways card as a data point, though I doubt that matters...
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
How do I apply for the Silver card?

I can't seem to locate a way to apply for the Silver card, only the Red card.
Can someone point me to a link or phone number?
Thanks very much.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EP
Yes. Barclays has been saying for 2 years that they will eventually fix it

Originally Posted by akarneboge
Just curious if any of you use Apple Pay with this card, and if so, does the card show as a US Airways MasterCard instead of the AAdvantage Aviator card? Mine was a new account, not a legacy US Airways card as a data point, though I doubt that matters...
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by card1953
I can't seem to locate a way to apply for the Silver card, only the Red card.
Can someone point me to a link or phone number?
Thanks very much.
It's not possible. You have to acquire Red and hope to one day be eligible for an upgrade.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
The offer popped up for me on day 61
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ralphs
The offer popped up for me on day 61
I got my red card this past February and got the offer to upgrade to Silver in the mail in late may/early June. Total no-brainer...the 5K EQM plus the opportunity for more offsets the annual fee for me.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by akarneboge
Same here. Also a new account.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:56 pm

I just passed 90 days with the red card yesterday, and no upgrade offer on the web site. (I've turned off add blockers.) I messaged customer service on the web site, and was told I was not eligible, but to try back in a few months and they would help me select the "Jetblue product" that best met my needs :-)
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by MillenniumFlyer
I will try messaging them today. What kind of explanation do you receive? Do they explain how to get the upgrade?
Did you have any luck? I passed 90 days last week, and tried messaging them. I got a quick response that my account was not eligible, with no explanation why.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:56 am
COU

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Gold
I signed up for Red in January...couldn't find a way to sign up for Silver....they just upgraded me in July to Silver.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:59 pm

Hey guys.

Crazy question for everyone. Has anyone ever heard of US AIRWAYS/AAVIATOR RED CARD getting a 20,000 retention offer?

I called today since my annual date passed by that should have given me my 10,000 bonus miles for holding on to the card.

Three years ago, I fought it, and I lost. Then back on November 11th I got 20,000 bonus miles. They said it was a AVIATOR MC ADJUSTMENT.

I didn't notice that bonus until December. When I called to ask about what it was for they told me that it was for the two anniversary years that I did not receive any bonus.

But when I called to ask about where my annual bonus is, she said I didn't get any. Yet she says that what I got was a retention offer.

Does this sound correct? I have never heard of such a thing?

Please help.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Does anyone know if there is an easy way to check spend toward EQDs? I'm sure I could go statement by statement, but I was wondering if I could call in and get a more definitive answer?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Does anyone know if there is an easy way to check spend toward EQDs? I'm sure I could go statement by statement, but I was wondering if I could call in and get a more definitive answer?
Once I got the Silver card, I click on Rewards & Benefits tab and then Rewards Activity and there is a EQM (and Companion pass) counter. I assume that there is little difference between the counters.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by ckendall
Once I got the Silver card, I click on Rewards & Benefits tab and then Rewards Activity and there is a EQM (and Companion pass) counter. I assume that there is little difference between the counters.
Mine does have a small difference between the EQM and companion pass counters. Not exactly sure why though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.