Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Old Sep 22, 2023, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by ymx
Will most all Red cardholders eventually get the Silver upgrade offer? Are there data points of folks never getting the offer?
I'm still waiting for the upgrade offer. It's currently been 10 months.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by uncflyer16
My wife has been waiting for 6 years or more.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by uncflyer16
Originally Posted by robertablake
My wife has been waiting for 6 years or more.
Try calling their customer service number and asking for an upgrade; that is what I did and they approved it over the phone that same day. This was about 5 years ago. My understanding at the time is that you had to have had the card for 6 months or more (maybe 12 or more?) before being considered.

Worst case scenario is that they say no, so what do you have to lose? I would give it a try.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
the offer to silver is so random...... ideally to log in often to see if you got the offer.. not sure what happens if offered but you missed it and it expired.....

I got my offer to Silver after 3-4 months from opening Red
Old Sep 29, 2023, 7:02 pm

Question about the free checked bag perk, boarding group 5, etc., in a specific setting.

I have the silver Aviator card. Mrs. Rossodio also has the same card on the same account. I am EXP. Mrs. Rossodio has no status.
Mrs. Rossodio and mini Rossodio/mini Mrs. Rossodio are traveling without me on an upcoming round trip itinerary. The itinerary for the 3 of them was booked using my own award miles and they have regular main cabin award tickets. The fees etc. that have to be paid when booking award tickets (~$11/person) were paid for with our silver Aviator card.

Because the fees were paid for with our Aviator card (but not the actual tickets which are award tickets), will each pax get a free checked bag (and other card benefits for the trip)?
Old Sep 29, 2023, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Rossodio
Because the fees were paid for with our Aviator card (but not the actual tickets which are award tickets), will each pax get a free checked bag (and other card benefits for the trip)?
One of the travelers needs to be primary on a credit card (tied to their AAdvantage #) to get the free checked bag benefit for them and the rest of the travelers.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by skydve1
One of the travelers needs to be primary on a credit card (tied to their AAdvantage #) to get the free checked bag benefit for them and the rest of the travelers.
A related question, then.

What if Mrs. Rossodio got herself an Aviator red card and it were the same situation, using my award miles, but it was her card that paid the ~$11/person fees?

Otherwise, what I am understanding you to say here is that the travel can be booked by anyone, and so long as at least one of the travelers on the PNR has the card, everyone on the PNR gets the benefits. Is that right?
Old Sep 29, 2023, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Rossodio
A related question, then.

What if Mrs. Rossodio got herself an Aviator red card and it were the same situation, using my award miles, but it was her card that paid the ~$11/person fees?

Otherwise, what I am understanding you to say here is that the travel can be booked by anyone, and so long as at least one of the travelers on the PNR has the card, everyone on the PNR gets the benefits. Is that right?
Yes - As long as one of them is the primary of a card, it doesn't matter who pays for the ticket or the fees.
The primary would have their AAdvantage # tied to the card, and if that person has their AAdvantage # on one of the tickets, they'll get the free bags for the group.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 9:01 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Are there any referral potentials from Barclays from this card?

do the application received from a FA offer more miles than the 75+95 af personal public offer now?
how can I get an onboard application?

Have they had an af cc waver lately ?
Old Oct 6, 2023, 9:56 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by frank_10b
Are there any referral potentials from Barclays from this card?

do the application received from a FA offer more miles than the 75+95 af personal public offer now?
how can I get an onboard application?

Have they had an af cc waver lately ?
This has been the best offer. AF waived won’t be 75k.

Go get an on board application by flying AA.

https://www.uscreditcardguide.com/ba...d-credit-card/
Old Oct 9, 2023, 7:31 am

My 5K loyalty point bonus for passing 40K spend posted 48-72 hours after hitting the threshold.

I wondered if it was a timing fluke when there was a similar turnaround hitting 20K. But it appears consistent.

Kudos to Barclay's on this much improved change!
Old Oct 9, 2023, 10:07 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
My 5K loyalty point bonus for passing 40K spend posted 48-72 hours after hitting the threshold.

I wondered if it was a timing fluke when there was a similar turnaround hitting 20K. But it appears consistent.

Kudos to Barclay's on this much improved change!
Envious! Still waiting for my Silver invite!
Old Oct 11, 2023, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Has anyone got their bonus miles from this promotion to post yet? I met these terms but am still waiting....

Old Oct 13, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: AA PP · HHonors Diamond · Marriott Titanium · UA Silver
Applied and approved 06/13/2023 for Aviator Red, no prior history with Barclays.

Received offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver on 10/13/2023, effective date 11/13/2023, with new AF posting 06/13/2024 per offer.

$1,184.43 total spend to date on card, and a small balance transfer shortly after receiving SUB.
Gar1P and 355F1 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 12:27 pm
formerly DreAAmliner

Silver Offer DP:
Applied and approved for my first Red card June 2023. Have been waiting for a Silver offer in the app, but never showed.
Called CS for the first time today to see if could upgrade, and the offer was available over the phone, but not in my app.

Took the offer...
Gar1P likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.