Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:50 am

anyone able to downgrade from the red aaviator recently?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
anyone able to downgrade from the red aaviator recently?
I tried calling yesterday, they wouldn't let me do anything (not even downgrade from Silver)... and no offers.. No rhyme or reason why others get offers or annual fee waivers and others dont
Anyone else with data points? My AF hit recently and I have up to 60 days to cancel without paying the fee.

Last edited by FobbyFlyer; Mar 12, 2019 at 9:41 am Reason: added Silver
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by FobbyFlyer
I tried calling yesterday, they wouldn't let me do anything (not even downgrade from Silver)... and no offers.. No rhyme or reason why others get offers or annual fee waivers and others dont
Anyone else with data points? My AF hit recently and I have up to 60 days to cancel without paying the fee.
yup. That's how they treated me. No offers, no effort, not even a thank you. Cancelled my card in no time flat.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If I upgrade from the Red to the Silver, does the counter for EQD start back at zero, or does it count what I've already spent in 2019? I'm about to hit the $25k for 3k EQD (since I got this card in 2018, the change hasn't hit it yet). If I upgrade to Silver, I'm wondering if I'll have to spend $25k more in 2019 for the additional 3k EQD, or if it'll take $50k more (for a total of $75k)
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Hi there! On a somewhat tangentially related issue, I have the Aviator Silver card, is it possible to hold this and say an AA branded card from Citi, and then receive benefits (EQMs and EQDs) from both cards?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by owenjay74
Hi there! On a somewhat tangentially related issue, I have the Aviator Silver card, is it possible to hold this and say an AA branded card from Citi, and then receive benefits (EQMs and EQDs) from both cards?
Yes, you get the EQM @ 10k each from Aviator Silver + Citi Exec AND you get the EQD (3k or 6k depending on cardmember ann'y) from Aviator Silver.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by upinsmoke
If I upgrade from the Red to the Silver, does the counter for EQD start back at zero, or does it count what I've already spent in 2019? I'm about to hit the $25k for 3k EQD (since I got this card in 2018, the change hasn't hit it yet). If I upgrade to Silver, I'm wondering if I'll have to spend $25k more in 2019 for the additional 3k EQD, or if it'll take $50k more (for a total of $75k)
whatever you already spend will count towards silver. I upgraded 2 years ago in December and got a surprise of 10K EQM and 3K EQDs
upinsmoke likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Last night I booked a flight for my mom and I for tomorrow using by BA Avios. My mom has the Red card and I have tied her AAdvantage number to the reservation. Will we still be able to get a free checked bag even tho the reservation was made with my Avios? I didn't see anything during online check in about checked bags (free or paid), but admittedly its been a while since I've flown with a checked bag so this prompt may not even appear anymore. I assume we can just go to the baggage check and flash her card if it doesn't manually update as us getting a free bag.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by skitch23
Last night I booked a flight for my mom and I for tomorrow using by BA Avios. My mom has the Red card and I have tied her AAdvantage number to the reservation. Will we still be able to get a free checked bag even tho the reservation was made with my Avios?
Yes, assuming she's had the Aviator Red card long enough for a record of that to make its way to AA so it's associated with her AA account.
skitch23 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
Yes, assuming she's had the Aviator Red card long enough for a record of that to make its way to AA so it's associated with her AA account.
Yes, she's had it for multiple years, so we should be good on that end. Thank you!
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:22 pm

Yes, she's had it for multiple years, so we should be good on that end. Thank you!
As noted in the wiki above, there's a master thread dedicated to this subtopic. That thread's wiki has detailed info.

The key: the cardholder's AA account homepage should show this

in the area between the FFN and the mileage balance.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Last night I booked a flight for my mom and I for tomorrow using by BA Avios. My mom has the Red card and I have tied her AAdvantage number to the reservation. Will we still be able to get a free checked bag even tho the reservation was made with my Avios? I didn't see anything during online check in about checked bags (free or paid), but admittedly its been a while since I've flown with a checked bag so this prompt may not even appear anymore. I assume we can just go to the baggage check and flash her card if it doesn't manually update as us getting a free bag.
I would add one caveat to what the others have said. If you used the BA site to add the AA number, be sure to confirm on the AA site that the number is in fact there. I've had the assignment not "stick" until I found the reservation on AA and forced the assignment there.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I would add one caveat to what the others have said. If you used the BA site to add the AA number, be sure to confirm on the AA site that the number is in fact there. I've had the assignment not "stick" until I found the reservation on AA and forced the assignment there.
As detailed in the wiki for Booking American Airlines awards, I recommend simply deleting one's BA number & leaving the field blank. You can then go to AA to add the suitable AA FFN(s) with confidence that this will stick.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:30 am

Retention Bonus Runaround

I was offered a retention bonus last October, stating that I would receive a $100 credit if I had at least $1000 of spend in November, December, and January. No sweat. Completed the spend. Now they are claiming that I didn't satisfy the terms, because I didn't have $1000 in the billing cycle ending November 12 or January 12, even though I had more than enough spend in those three calendar months. Seems like a deceitful "bait and switch." Did I miss something buried in the terms and conditions? So far the call center agents have been unhelpful, though they acknowledge that I had the requisite amounts of spend in those three calendar months.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:34 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Did they email you a confirmation of the T&C?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.