Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:54 pm

doesn’t even rise to the level of “meh”
GTITAN likes this.

Last edited by SouthernCross; Feb 28, 2019 at 1:49 am
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
The only thing interesting is the daily $25 food credit. Does that mean you can get that much on the plane each day without a cap? That seems too generous.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by SP03
The only thing interesting is the daily $25 food credit. Does that mean you can get that much on the plane each day without a cap? That seems too generous.
If you can down $25 in Y food a day, after finding flights that have any food on board, more power to you.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by autdi
If you can down $25 in Y food a day, after finding flights that have any food on board, more power to you.
You can reserve food in advance 24 hours before flight.

$25 is about right if you have a companion
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
This is an amazing offer guys! I'm going to start asking for 6 cans of Pringles and then re-sell them to passengers in the back for $3 each.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:59 pm

just cancelled my card. Fee was set to post tomorrow. The agent didn't even try to keep me -- no mention of the new benefits. Told me he wasn't authorized to change the benefits or waive the fee. I've run $25-30K per year on the card. I will put the spend on my CSP or one of my hotel cards. Their loss.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by nall
Per Doctor of Credit
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barcl...being-removed/Aviator Red

This card will have the following benefits added:
  • Anniversary companion certificate. Get a companion certificate for 1 guest for $99 (plus taxes and fees) after account anniversary
  • WiFi Credit. Up To $25 statement credit on American Airlines in flight WiFi purchases each card member year
The following benefits are being removed:
  • 10% rebate on miles redeemed up to 10,000 miles per calendar year.
  • $100 American Airlines flight discount after qualifying purchases.
Aviator Silver

The following benefits are being added:
  • Anniversary companion certificate. Get a companion certificate for 2 guests for $99 (plus taxes and fees) after account anniversary
  • WiFi Credit. Up to $50 statement credit on American Airlines in flight WiFi purchases each card member year
  • Up to $25 daily statement credit for in-flight food and beverage purchases on American Airlines operated flights. (This replaces the current benefit of 25% back).
The following benefits are being removed:
  • 10% rebate on miles redeemed up to 10,000 miles per calendar year.
\

Well that sucks. They took away the 10% rebate. I reached that milestone every year. On the other hand, $25 in food and beverages. Hmm....Well, bring on the Pringles and Jack.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Anniversary companion certificate is an existing Silver card benefit.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I've never used a "companion" certificate with any card. Anyone have any idea how these work?
I called last week to cancel since fee was about to post in March - they agreed to waive for another year and teased "coming enhancements!"
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Not great; I can use the EQM and happily already got the mileage back this year, but I will probably cancel (or try to get AF waived) for this one too.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Did you get the annual fee waived in a silver or red card. There haven’t been prior reports about annual fee waiver before I silver card.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I've never used a "companion" certificate with any card. Anyone have any idea how these work?
I called last week to cancel since fee was about to post in March - they agreed to waive for another year and teased "coming enhancements!"
Pick your flights - as long as you're outside the blackout period - call AA group reservations, give them the cert number and star file code, mail them in, and go.

I consider them to be a big benefit.
OskiBear and VaBeachGirl like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beachfan
Did you get the annual fee waived in a silver or red card. There haven’t been prior reports about annual fee waiver before I silver card.
It's a Red card. I had it originally for the EQD's. Since that benefit went away, I stopped using the card. With some new bennies and a free year, I'll see how it plays out and whether it's worth keeping. I don't think I'll be needing EQD assistance so without some other benefit, it's not really worth keeping.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I called Barclay to cancel my Red card, but I got the annual fee waved for 1 year, so I have decided to stay one more year and think about it.
I'm glad I found this thread today because tomorrow is the day Barclay will charge annual fee. ^
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:45 pm
xyc

Is there an additional cardholder fee for the Aviator Silver? If so, what is that fee? For some reason, I can't find this information anywhere, and I'm not a current cardholder, so I can't call to find out. Thanks for any help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.