Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by zzpitt
I just completed an online marketing survey with Barclays pertaining to a "new and exciting" benefit in the works (received email to participate in the survey). In hindsight, I wish I would have taken screen shots, but the main point is that you can opt in to a feature which "rounds up" all of your purchases (up to a limit per month you set in your profile) and they basically sell you miles at $0.02/mile for the round up. The example they kept using was buy a coffee for $3.10, automatically round up to $4.00, and you'd get 3 miles for the initial purchase, plus 50% miles on the round up (90 cents round up times 0.5 = 45 extra miles) for a total of 48 miles on the purchase. Again, basically buying miles at $0.02 a piece. The marketing banners and ads they were testing were pretty slick, along the lines of "Imagine how much farther you can go by earning 48 miles on just your daily coffee!", I could see how an un-savvy consumer would think they were actually getting a deal. I made sure to put in the comments that the purchase rate on the points was not attractive and I wouldn't be likely to opt into the feature - it's still a better rate than purchasing them outright from AA, but I still don't see the value in purchasing them at 2 cents per mile.

I'm hoping this isn't one of the big new features they are rolling out to replace the EQD benefit...
Didn't they do something like this a few years ago? I seem to recall there were two offers, round up at 1 mile per cent or 1 mile per two cents and I was offered the latter and refused.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Very uninteresting possible benefit. They should know their market. People after EQM/EQD generally earn plenty of miles.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
I just completed an online marketing survey with Barclays pertaining to a "new and exciting" benefit in the works (received email to participate in the survey). In hindsight, I wish I would have taken screen shots, but the main point is that you can opt in to a feature which "rounds up" all of your purchases (up to a limit per month you set in your profile) and they basically sell you miles at $0.02/mile for the round up. The example they kept using was buy a coffee for $3.10, automatically round up to $4.00, and you'd get 3 miles for the initial purchase, plus 50% miles on the round up (90 cents round up times 0.5 = 45 extra miles) for a total of 48 miles on the purchase. Again, basically buying miles at $0.02 a piece. The marketing banners and ads they were testing were pretty slick, along the lines of "Imagine how much farther you can go by earning 48 miles on just your daily coffee!", I could see how an un-savvy consumer would think they were actually getting a deal. I made sure to put in the comments that the purchase rate on the points was not attractive and I wouldn't be likely to opt into the feature - it's still a better rate than purchasing them outright from AA, but I still don't see the value in purchasing them at 2 cents per mile.

I'm hoping this isn't one of the big new features they are rolling out to replace the EQD benefit...
They sent me the same crappy survey--give them more $ for a bad deal on AA miles. This absolutely must be an attempted "replacement" for the lost EQDs, and frankly, it stinks.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:33 pm

2018 Red retention offer

Have the Red card. Only charge my Netflix subscription to it. I used to charge whatever would qualify for their bonus offers that seemed to come every quarter but havent gotten any offers in the past year. Called the day after the 10,000 miles anniversary bonus posted and was immediately offered an annual fee waiver (as opposed to the statement credit Citi offers), which I immediately accepted.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I don't think we're likely to see it, but it would be nice to see a SWU for every $10,000 spent, or a free visit to the flagship lounge for every $5,000. That would get me to keep spending on the card.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I wonder how many miles are acquired by what I'll call "non-serious" flyers who may not actually use them.

FTers know that to get 2 cents per mile value you have to fly overseas premium cabin. Some others may feel this is a way of creating a "change jar" of miles which every so often will yield a nice surprise.

Unfortunately, this may well be one of their "enhancements" to take away the sting of the new EDQ limit.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:22 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by redtop43
I wonder how many miles are acquired by what I'll call "non-serious" flyers who may not actually use them.

FTers know that to get 2 cents per mile value you have to fly overseas premium cabin. Some others may feel this is a way of creating a "change jar" of miles which every so often will yield a nice surprise.

Unfortunately, this may well be one of their "enhancements" to take away the sting of the new EDQ limit.
I personally see some ways I could use this to my advantage and cut down on the amount of VGC and MO's I burn through in pursuit of AA miles.

While my cost to MS is usually $0.0098 cents per mile (occasionally dips lower if I can leverage other promos)- my time, gas, sanity, effort to keep track of all the particulars has some "cost" to it as well that I currently don't factor into my plans. I would be willing to shift some of my spending to take advantage of this sort of offer. Say it raises my average cost per mile to $0.015 cpm and I get some free time and piece of mind back? Still comes out to $862 for one way J sAAver to Europe. Not a bad deal in my book.

Last edited by jtav559; Dec 26, 2018 at 8:12 am
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:24 am

I just hit my second EQM number on Christmas Day; I assume that they will retroactively post some time next month backadated to this December, right? I am close to EXP this year and this would be part of the last minute push (with some flying this week), so if all goes well I should be confirmed as EXP sometime in early January (if I have understood correctly).
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by ckendall
I just hit my second EQM number on Christmas Day; I assume that they will retroactively post some time next month backadated to this December, right? I am close to EXP this year and this would be part of the last minute push (with some flying this week), so if all goes well I should be confirmed as EXP sometime in early January (if I have understood correctly).
You are correct. The AA posting date will be backdated to when you cleared the threshold w/ Barclays.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by ckendall
It typically posts on or right after the 10th of the month. Congrats on Exp!
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by MorganB
It typically posts on or right after the 10th of the month. Congrats on Exp!
Many thanks; cut it very close this year but should end with with about 17KEQD, 100,553 EQM and 30 EQS.
355F1 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Received an "Annual Fee Notice" from Barclays for my Silver Aviator card. It says an AF of $195 will be billed to my account on 1/31/2019. There is a list of rewards in the letter, which omits the entire EQD benefit (we know that the card will offer 3,000 EQD after $50,000 spending, but it is not listed on the renewal notice), but includes the EQM benefit.

The letter also says, "You may chose to call 866-928-3059 within 45 days of the date printed on this letter to discuss alternative products that may be available or to close your account so that the fee will not be billed." My letter is dated 12/26/2018.

Seems like Barclays don't want to talk about EQD benefit (even when it is an included reward for the card) and want to encourage current Silver card holders to change the product or close the account. I had the same vibe/feeling when I spoke with a customer service representative few weeks ago.

Seems like Silver card has become a liability for Barclays. Barclays stopped offering the Silver card upgrade to the Red card holders few months ago (upgrading is no longer possible). Any guess whats going on?

Have you called to cancel? What response/offer have you received?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:36 am

Just logged into the barclaycardus.com account portal, and everything EQD has been scrubbed. No progress bar, and it's even missing from the previous benefits (2018) page. I have to wonder if they're really going to deliver on the 3,000EQD/$50,000 .
355F1 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:55 am

There was a pop-up when I logged in earlier today explaining the the EQD tracker wasn't currently available, but that everything was being tracked. With some people at 3k EQD for 50k spend and some people at 3k EQD for 25k spend and then another 3k EQD for 50k spend it's not surprising that the tech isn't ready to divvy up Silver cardholders in 2019 before everyone is in the same boat come 2020.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:23 am

I just got them to waive ( credit back) my red card annual fee that was recently charged. The rep I spoke to was very familiar with the missing red card EQD benefit.

She did read a disclosure that by waiving the $89 annual fee , it "might" prevent my eligibility for any new promos or bonuses for the next 90 days. But I doubt I'll have $89 worth of bonuses, so I didn't think twice

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.