Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:26 pm

I figured that would be the case. It would've made the status challenge so much easier (obviously). Thanks for the input.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by anc305
I was on an AA flight and decided to take an application for Red Aviator Card. It has a 60k sign up bonus. I closed my Red card 26 months ago. Am I eligible for the bonus? The terms and conditions are vague. Any recent experieces.
Please check the wording carefully for any reference to "24 months" or "You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program ". On the Barclays 60k card thread
at least one app page linked there does have the latter, and more than one person has reported being declined with similar wording on the rejection letter. It would be helpful if let us know the wording and what happens when you apply.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MoonOverMiami
I figured that would be the case. It would've made the status challenge so much easier (obviously). Thanks for the input.
I should have asked, which Challenge are you going after?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by pubsmeister
20k spend (5000 EQM bonus 1)- qualified on 4/10/18, posted on AA web site on 5/10/18
25k spend (3000 EQD bonus 1)- qualified on 4/19/18, posted on AA web site on 5/10/18
40k spend (5000 EQM bonus 2)- qualified on 7/17/18, posted on AA web site on 8/10/18
50k spend (3000 EQD bonus 2)- qualified on 7/26/18, posted on AA web site on 8/10/18
Trend continues. My EQM from middle of last month finally posted today (9/10/18).
fedechat likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:47 am

Question, I have both a personal & business Aviator card from Barclays. My question is can I earn a total of 9,000 EQD from both cards?

Personal card is Aviator Silver which gives 6,000 EQD when you spend $50,000 in calendar year. In addition 10,000 EQM when you spend $40,000.
Business card is Aviator Business which gives 3,000 EQD when you spend $25,000 in calendar year.

I already have spent $35k on my Aviator Silver and would like to know if it's worth spending $15,000 to hit the second 3,000 EQD or just spend $5,000 for the EQM. I have already spent over $25,000 on my Aviator Business and received 3,000 EQD. I am waiting for the first 3,000 EQD to post from the Aviator Silver. My doubt is if I spend $15,000 more to total $50,000 will I receive the second 3000 EQD from my Aviator Silver Card. I couldn't find anything mentioning if I can stack 6,000 EQD from Aviator Personal with the 3,000 EQD from the Aviator Business for a total of 9000 EQD. Anyone who was both share their experience?

I know that you can stack the 10,000 EQM from Citi AA Executive Card with the 10,000 EQM from Barclays AA Aviator Silver Card for a total of 20,000 EQM from both cards.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by AAdmiral
I couldn't find anything mentioning if I can stack 6,000 EQD from Aviator Personal with the 3,000 EQD from the Aviator Business for a total of 9000 EQD. Anyone who was both share their experience?

I know that you can stack the 10,000 EQM from Citi AA Executive Card with the 10,000 EQM from Barclays AA Aviator Silver Card for a total of 20,000 EQM from both cards.
Miles can be stacked, but EQD can't. Per the card's FAQ:

A Signing Individual may earn the maximum $3,000 EQDs per calendar year through the card account, unless the Signing Individual has already earned the maximum number of EQDs through other AAdvantage® co-branded credit cards.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:59 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Met the spend for the companion ticket last week.

Not or sure what happens next. The agent on the phone told me I’d get an email within 8-10 weeks with a voucher code?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Interesting that the agent said 8-10 weeks after meeting requirement. When the website rewards tracker bar says something different! I met the threshold last month, not in a rush to need the cert right now, but if it shows up sooner than 2019 - that is great!

Last edited by jtav559; Sep 16, 2018 at 3:41 pm Reason: copy paste error
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:05 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by jtav559
Interesting that the agent said 8-10 weeks after meeting requirement. When the website rewards tracker bar says something different! I met the threshold last month, not in a rush to need the cert right now, but if it shows up sooner than 2019 - that is great!
thank you for your post!

I never saw this screen and I've had my card a year!!! I just found it!

When asked the rep never mentioned that this was available on their website!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
Originally Posted by MoonOverMiami
Miles can be stacked, but EQD can't. Per the card's FAQ:

A Signing Individual may earn the maximum $3,000 EQDs per calendar year through the card account, unless the Signing Individual has already earned the maximum number of EQDs through other AAdvantage® co-branded credit cards.
I have 2 silver aviator cards. Barclays now takes the position that EQMs cannot be stacked with those cards. Barclays cites to some language in the Reward Rules for EQMs that they claim support this position when in fact the language does not. I have implored them to set forth language that makes that clear to customers like they have done with EQDs to no avail.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by pkr529
I have 2 silver aviator cards. Barclays now takes the position that EQMs cannot be stacked with those cards. Barclays cites to some language in the Reward Rules for EQMs that they claim support this position when in fact the language does not. I have implored them to set forth language that makes that clear to customers like they have done with EQDs to no avail.
I’m curious in my case since I have 1 personal card, the Silver Aviator & one business card, the Business Aviator. I already hit the 3000 EQD from the business card and next month will hit the first 3000 EQD from my Silver Aviator and might just spend the extra $10k since I want the 10,000 EQM at $40k and the second 3000 EQD would hit at $50k. I wonder if it’s more an AA issue vs a Barclays issue.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:37 am

AA's terminology says you can earn up to 10k EQM annually per card issuer.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nall
AA's terminology says you can earn up to 10k EQM annually per card issuer.
I never heard anyone getting EQMs while having the same two cards, I have the silver and Citi Exec card and get my 10K EQMs this way.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
I received 5,000 EQMs on each of my silver aviator cards for 2016 and 2017. As for who is making this an issue here, it is definitely Barclays. Barclays did try and throw the fish over the wall and blame AA but when I elevated the matter in both organizations it was clear the blame belongs to Barclays. I will drop one silver aviator next year and try an earn 10,000 EQMs on my remaining silver aviator and another 10,000 EQMs in the Citi card.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by 355F1
Met the spend for the companion ticket last week.

Not or sure what happens next. The agent on the phone told me I’d get an email within 8-10 weeks with a voucher code?
I get my companion certificate 8-10 weeks after my anniversary date, it comes in snail mail and an email with a code/link(?). I use this card to try to keep up with my globe trotting DH for status. In 2017 I met my spend by March but did not receive my companion cert until March or April of 2018. I miss the pre-merger USAirways days when this benefit had more value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.