Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards

Old Sep 28, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Archive Of ORIGINAL AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard

FOR CURRENT THREAD SEE HERE.

NOTE: The BarclayCard US Airways Aviator credit cards were offered to US Airways Dividend Miles members and "grandfathered in" to the AAdvantage program. Now you can sign up for several Aviator cards, though the Silver Card is generally available after one has had another Aviator Card at least three months.

There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. An April 2015 article on The Points Guy details them.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator (Jason Steele, April 13th, 2015).

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to FT thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Red applications are available at the airport or in flight in 2017, or online at https://home.barclaycardus.com

New Red cardholders may apply to upgrade to Aviator Silver after 90 days. Existing Red cardholders (prior to 2017) may apply to upgrade to Silver at any time.

Aviator Silver offers EQM:

"Additional Benefits of your Account

Elite Qualifying Miles

The primary cardmember may earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles ("EQMs") after spending $20,000 in Net Purchases that post to the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account from January 1st through December 31st each calendar year. The primary cardmember may earn an additional 5,000 AAdvantage® EQMs each calendar year when the cardmember reaches $40,000 in spending on Net Purchases with the AAdvantage Aviator Silver account during the same period. An AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver primary cardmember may earn the maximum 10,000 EQMs once per calendar year, unless the cardmember has already earned the maximum number of EQMs through another AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account. EQMs earned are in addition to the AAdvantage miles earned for Net Purchases made on the AAdvantage®Aviator™ Silver account. Net Purchases exclude returned goods and services, cash advances, convenience checks, transferred balances, credits, fees and interest charges. Net Purchases made by authorized users through additional cards on the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account will count toward the primary cardmember's qualifying spend. EQMs earned as a result of this benefit will typically be posted to the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account 6-8 weeks after meeting the spend requirement. EQMs will not count toward Million Miler℠ status. EQMs cannot be redeemed for award travel, AAdvantage® miles or any other AAdvantage® program awards. EQMs earned with the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account qualify toward the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® program elite status earning requirements each calendar year, subject to the limits under the Reward Rules and the AAdvantage® Program. Full details on elite status and qualifications are available in the AAdvantage® section of aa.com."

Both cards will offer spend offsets to the required Elite Qualifying Dollar spend in 2017.[/B]

Spend $25,000 or more on a Barclaycard-issued American AAdvantage Aviator Red credit card and earn 3,000 EQD.

Spend $25,000 on a Barclaycard-issued AAdvantage Aviator Silver credit card and earn an additional 3,000 EQD - a second $25,000 spend will earn another 3,000 EQD.

You can not hold both cards and combine earnings. You can notvearn more than $6,000 EQD spend offset in one year. Qualifying purchases are 1 Jan - 31 Dec of one year.

See EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Card – announcement, details for further information.

and FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and Partner Airlines (2017 on)

Spend $20,000 on your Silver card in one calendar year, earn 5,000 EQM; spend a total of $40,000 or more on your Silver card, earn 5,000 more EQM.

Above updated 16 Feb 2017 - JDiver

What are the benefits of the Aviator Silver card?
  • Earn 3X miles for every dollar spent on eligible US Airways and American Airlines purchases
  • Earn 2X miles for every dollar spent on hotels and car rentals
  • Earn 1X miles for every dollar spent on all other purchases
  • Earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles for each $20,000 in annual purchases (10,000 maximum EQMs per year)
  • First checked bag free for you and up to 8 companions traveling on the same reservation
  • A Companion Certificate good for up to 2 guests at $99 each will be issued each year after your account anniversary when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases (taxes and fees apply)
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • Premium Servicing including US-based Customer Service, World Elite Concierge and Luxury Travel Benefits
  • Receive 10% of your redeemed miles back, up to 10,000 miles each calendar year
  • Apply for Global Entry with TSA PreCheck and, upon approval, experience expedited, more efficient security screenings, moving you smoothly through U.S. Customs when returning from traveling abroad. Pay for the $100 Global Entry application fee with your card and you'll automatically receive a $100 statement credit 2-3 weeks after your transaction.
    • With this benefit, the primary cardmember can receive one application fee statement credit every 5 years when the Global Entry membership needs to be renewed.
What are the terms of the 10% rebate benefit?
According to the Aviator card FAQ,
For this benefit to apply, your account must be open and active at the time of redemption.

The American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles you will earn through this benefit will be based on 10% of the total AAdvantage miles you redeem each month during the calendar year. The maximum number of AAdvantage® bonus miles that can be earned annually from this benefit is 10,000 AAdvantage bonus miles per calendar year and per AAdvantage® account, regardless of how many AAdvantage miles you redeem in that calendar year.

This benefit only applies to AAdvantage miles redeemed from the primary Cardmember’s AAdvantage® account. Please allow 6-8 weeks after your redemption for American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles to post to the primary Cardmember’s AAdvantage account.
Thus, this benefit
  • applies to all miles redemptions, regardless of the passenger name on the airline ticket or other award.
  • is limited to 10,000 miles in rebates per calendar year, regardless of how many Barclays and/or Citi AA cards you have.

For additional information about the 10% rebate benefit, see FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (consolidated)and the associated wiki.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards

Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
I had 2 US Dividend Miles MC accounts converted to Aviator Reds, both still open at the time I applied for the "new" Aviator Red. Was instantly approved and bonus posted. No experience with downgraded cards... kept the Reds around because they're still earning the 10k anniversary bonus. I see no need to close the Blue card if you're gonna try this.
Interesting! If they're not enforcing the rule, or at least not on converted cards, I'll have to try it with my converted Red.

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; Jun 12, 2017 at 10:42 am
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
I received my 3kEQD right away (next billing cycle) but it's been 10 weeks and still not EQM. Barclay has put in a "ticket" to figure it out.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:32 am

Do we know what happens if you have the US Airways card it gets converted into Aviator and if you downgrade the Aviator to like Aviator Silver?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Silver / Red / White

Might want to be careful here with the card colors / flavors.

The old US cards were transitioned into Red Aviator cards.

In the case of one of these transitioned cards, I quickly turned it into a Silver Aviator card, to benefit from EQMs and companion certificate. Because I had negotiated an AF waiver on the preceding version (quite possibly the old US card), I was able to avoid being charged the $195 for the Silver Aviator for another year.

When the AF hit again, however, I did not want to pay it, and downgraded the card, past the Red Aviator all the way down to the White Aviator, which looks a bit like the Silver Aviator card in coloration, but is substantially different. It basically gives you nothing. It's saving grace (to me, at least) was that it kept a longstanding account open, and the webpage continues offering me the capacity to upgrade it (the White Card) all the way back up to Silver. I thus further keep it as a bit of a hedge and a way of deferring the AF on the Silver in the event toward year's end I want to upgrade to Silver and dump a lot of money on the card suddenly (think tuition) to get some EQDs and/or EQMs.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schrute
Do we know what happens if you have the US Airways card it gets converted into Aviator and if you downgrade the Aviator to like Aviator Silver?
You can't downgrade the Aviator Red to Silver, because Silver is the highest level. So you can only upgrade the Aviator Red to Silver. In that case, what happens is you get charged the higher annual fee.

But I also don't understand what you mean by "what happens if"? If you downgrade to White (or the supposed Blue), you've downgraded. That's what happens.

Ie, it seems to me your post was incomplete. You presumably were wondering what happens with respect to something or other specific, but you forgot to spell out that specific thing you're concerned about.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 17, 2017 at 11:22 am
Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You can't downgrade the Aviator Red to Silver, because Silver is the highest level. So you can only upgrade the Aviator Red to Silver. In that case, what happens is you get charged the higher annual fee.

But I also don't understand what you mean by "what happens if"? If you downgrade to White (or the supposed Blue), you've downgraded. That's what happens.

Ie, it seems to me your post was incomplete. You presumably were wondering what happens with respect to something or other specific, but you forgot to spell out that specific thing you're concerned about.
Pardon, this is related to a thread I posted earlier and got merged into this thread. I see there's a promotion for Aviator Red with 50K miles.

Two months ago I downgraded my Aviator to the free one. I didn'tt recall if it is Blue or Silver. I looked it up and it is simply called "Aviator". It's white and grey looking with no annual fee.

In any case, the card was converted when I had a US Airways card. The first year I got the AF waived. The second year (April 2017) I couldn't get it waived so I downgraded.

Now I want to signup for the Aviator Red solely for the 50K bonus, but unclear if that 24 month language applies here. It looks like people were able to get the bonus as they have the Red. But I don't see data points if they downgraded the card.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pardon, this is related to a thread I posted earlier and got merged into this thread. I see there's a promotion for Aviator Red with 50K miles.

Two months ago I downgraded my Aviator to the free one. I didn'tt recall if it is Blue or Silver. I looked it up and it is simply called "Aviator". It's white and grey looking with no annual fee.

In any case, the card was converted when I had a US Airways card. The first year I got the AF waived. The second year (April 2017) I couldn't get it waived so I downgraded.

Now I want to signup for the Aviator Red solely for the 50K bonus, but unclear if that 24 month language applies here. It looks like people were able to get the bonus as they have the Red. But I don't see data points if they downgraded the card.
Barclay has all sorts of language that they don't enforce. The current offer T&Cs say: "Existing cardmembers, existing accounts, and previous cardmember with accounts closed in the past 24 months may not be eligible for this offer. "

So it makes it sounds like someone having the card open still, not closed 24 months ago, not closed ever, would be out of luck right?

Except there's no reports of that happening. Everyone who's tried to get another Red card and reported on it in the other thread* has been successful (unless denied for credit reasons, of course). So why do you expect that even though existing Red cardmembers can get a new red card, they would enforce the 24-month clause for a downgrader?

Please keep in mind that this thread we're in is more about upgrades and downgrades and features for people who already have the card.

* It's this other thread in the Credit Cards forum:
that covers applying for the card (including datapoint reports aplenty of applying again despite having the card already).

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 17, 2017 at 9:08 pm
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

The Aviator cards are the following Blue (lowest) Red (middle card) Silver (top) card. Most CC companies have the 24 month language that you can not have gotten the bonus in the last 24 months. you can have the card currently but if you haven't gotten the bonus in the last 24 month are OK.

Citi has the same language for their AA cards.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Barclay has all sorts of language that they don't enforce. The current offer T&Cs say: "Existing cardmembers, existing accounts, and previous cardmember with accounts closed in the past 24 months may not be eligible for this offer. "
I wouldn't say that Barclays has terms that they don't enforce. They clearly have boilerplate, optional language that they throw on everything.

As far as I can tell from reports, converted US Air cards aren't treated as being the same kind of card as the one that you can apply for. I doubt that a PC changes that, as you can only apply for the Red.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
The Aviator cards are the following Blue (lowest) Red (middle card) Silver (top) card. Most CC companies have the 24 month language that you can not have gotten the bonus in the last 24 months. you can have the card currently but if you haven't gotten the bonus in the last 24 month are OK.

Citi has the same language for their AA cards.
Never seen (physically) the Blue card, but as far as I can tell the White card is pretty darned low (only 1/2 point per $.

[See my post a few posts up.]
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Never seen (physically) the Blue card, but as far as I can tell the White card is pretty darned low (only 1/2 point per $.

[See my post a few posts up.]
Opps meant White.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
How does one obtain the Silver Card?

I have had the Red Caerd for around 3 months now... can I apply online or do I have to call?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by navatwal

I have had the Red Caerd for around 3 months now... can I apply online or do I have to call?
Have you read this thread? If not go back a couple of pages
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by navatwal

My US Barclaycard was converted over to the AA silver. I think I was one of few, and have no idea how I was selected.

Now it seems that you need to apply for the red, then ask for an upgrade to silver.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by aztimm
My US Barclaycard was converted over to the AA silver. I think I was one of few, and have no idea how I was selected.

Now it seems that you need to apply for the red, then ask for an upgrade to silver.
After about ~4 months, I was sent an offer in the mail for a Silver card. I quickly jumped at it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.