Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2022, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Fly_the_corporate_skies
Interesting moment on my flight this AM

During the usual in flight spiel the FA said - “and because of our new loyalty points, all of those 50k bonus miles are also loyalty points.”

I confirmed when he was walking around “well all miles are loyalist points so it should count”

I had thought only base spend counted as LP - am I wrong? Or is the FA wrong or misleading people for more referral $s?
The 50k bonus miles do not count as LP. The FA is wrong.
slomike and nall like this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dynastar
If there's any question about spend carry-over, I got the upgrade offer and a few days after the upgrade took place (September 7th) my spend tracker changed to the following.

Contemplating an upgrade offer from Red to Silver. Glad to see that your spending on Red carries over for purposes of Silver's LP milestones. But when you say that your spend tracker changed, did the LP tracker in your screenshot *replace* the Companion Certificate tracker? Or do you now have separate trackers for each one? I'm over $60K since last September and will receive the Companion Certificate if I stick with Red. ("In order to receive your benefit, you must keep your account open for 45 days after Sep. 30th, 2022. We will inform you when your benefit is ready.") If I upgrade now, will my $60K in spending carry over for purposes of the Companion Certificate?
Old Sep 13, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by upinsmoke
The 50k bonus miles do not count as LP. The FA is wrong.
lol FA trying to earn some commission
Old Sep 13, 2022, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by UncleLeo
Contemplating an upgrade offer from Red to Silver. Glad to see that your spending on Red carries over for purposes of Silver's LP milestones. But when you say that your spend tracker changed, did the LP tracker in your screenshot *replace* the Companion Certificate tracker? Or do you now have separate trackers for each one? I'm over $60K since last September and will receive the Companion Certificate if I stick with Red. ("In order to receive your benefit, you must keep your account open for 45 days after Sep. 30th, 2022. We will inform you when your benefit is ready.") If I upgrade now, will my $60K in spending carry over for purposes of the Companion Certificate?
My account now shows two trackers and the spend for LP and companion cert both carried over.

I have not received my new card yet, but I did log in this morning and I was prompted with an "activate" pop-up window. I assume this converted my red account to a silver account.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
lol FA trying to earn some commission
shockingly most people did not have signing up for a credit card high on their priority list at 8am on a Monday morning.

Feels dishonest though, particularly with the speech he have before about loyalty points helping you move up to the front of the plane…
Old Sep 13, 2022, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Fly_the_corporate_skies
shockingly most people did not have signing up for a credit card high on their priority list at 8am on a Monday morning.

Feels dishonest though, particularly with the speech he have before about loyalty points helping you move up to the front of the plane…
haha yeah dishonest for sure but you will find out after the fact...... that he'll get paid!
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:17 pm

Spoke with three customer service reps and couldn't get a clear answer. Would appreciate anybody's insights based on recent experience.
  • Opened Aviator Red account on 9/22/21; anniversary in 7 days
  • On website, spend tracker period for companion certificate noted to be 9/1/21 through 9/30/22
  • Over $60K in spend during said period
  • "In order to receive your [anniversary companion certificate], you must keep your account open for 45 days after Sep. 30th, 2022"
  • Upgrade offer states: "Your account will be upgraded on 10/13/2022" (my statement periods begin on the 13th)
Even if I accepted the upgrade offer today, my concern is whether I would receive either of the following benefits based on my prior spending:
  1. Loyalty Points bonus of 5K/10K/15K. The T&Cs state that the period applicable to the spending milestones ($20K/$40K/$50K) is not based on cardmember anniversary, but rather status the qualification period (this year, 1/1/22 through 2/28/23). If that's right, would my year-to-date spend "rollover" and count toward the LP bonus?
  2. Companion(s) Certificate. I think I've ruled out the worse case scenario, i.e., at a minimum, I'll receive the Red benefit (certificate for a single companion) later this year notwithstanding the transition from Red to Silver during the interim. But if I accept the upgrade now, before my anniversary on 9/22, any chance of getting the Silver benefit—certificate for two companions—later this year? Or is that out of the question since the upgrade technically wouldn't take effect until October? The customer service rep wouldn't rule it out and said, as a general matter, they sometimes override the system to give effect to when somebody accepted the upgrade, as opposed to when it technically took effect, if it makes a different for a certain benefit.
Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 16, 2022, 6:31 am

Programs: AA Advantage; Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by jsimon926
My account now shows two trackers and the spend for LP and companion cert both carried over.

I have not received my new card yet, but I did log in this morning and I was prompted with an "activate" pop-up window. I assume this converted my red account to a silver account.
I received the same message. About two days after activating, the online account showed up as the new Aviator Silver account. I haven't received my card yet, but the website says that it is in the mail.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:02 am

has anyone that converted to silver last month actually get their silver card yet? My status is still stuck on request submitted for 2 weeks now. Card still has not hit the shipped stage yet.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Advantage; Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
has anyone that converted to silver last month actually get their silver card yet? My status is still stuck on request submitted for 2 weeks now. Card still has not hit the shipped stage yet.

Yes, I received my card almost exactly 6 weeks after the offer showed up on my account.
zzrayzz likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Heads up to Silver holders that all 4 snack options in Y were catered on my flight SEA-DFW 9/24 (1660 miles). Even though I was in F, no problem to go to the back after meal service to buy anything off of the inflight menu.

if you're already in F or MCE, $25/day credit is basically one of everything: $9 salami plate, $4 Pringles, $6 almonds, and $4 gummy bears = $23.
tudorcity likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 9:38 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Heads up to Silver holders that all 4 snack options in Y were catered on my flight SEA-DFW 9/24 (1660 miles). Even though I was in F, no problem to go to the back after meal service to buy anything off of the inflight menu.

if you're already in F or MCE, $25/day credit is basically one of everything: $9 salami plate, $4 Pringles, $6 almonds, and $4 gummy bears = $23.
what does the salami plate look like?
Old Sep 24, 2022, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by donotblink
what does the salami plate look like?
tudorcity likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 6:34 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
FYI for anyone who uses automatic payments and had their bill paid in the past day or two, Barclays is having a 'technical issue' and has taken payment twice on some number of accounts. If this happened to you, call your bank and have them attempt to stop payment on the second payment, Barclays told me they will of course be paying the stop payment fee in these situations.
apeortdz and cmtlatitudes like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Beckles
FYI for anyone who uses automatic payments and had their bill paid in the past day or two, Barclays is having a 'technical issue' and has taken payment twice on some number of accounts. If this happened to you, call your bank and have them attempt to stop payment on the second payment, Barclays told me they will of course be paying the stop payment fee in these situations.
This just happened to me also. It's not limited to automatic payments. I made a manual $5K payment Saturday and it's been taken twice from my account.

I'm calling Barclays now to inquire how and when they intend to rectify this. They haven't reached out to contact me or posted any notices on their site. I would be very leery of stopping the payment at your bank when it comes to Barclays. Barclays has security algorithms tied to stopped payments and other account issues. I once made a mistake and linked a payment to the wrong account. It was a good six months before my payments began clearing in a day again, instead of 3-4 days. Barclays stated this was beyond their control and controlled by the algorithms. (Not that I believe this, but it's what they stated. If however that's accurate to any extent, I doubt their systems will make a distinction for a stop payment initiated by the customer, whether it's Barclays fault or not.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.