Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:51 pm

Timing for silver card

For me, they promised we’d get upgraded in just over a week. Not sure why there is a delay. The week should expire in the next day or two. Very interested to see if they will keep our YTD spend intact as that will make loyalty point bonuses a lot easier
Old Sep 6, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by jtav559
As far as I have seen for red and silver Aviator cards I have held over the years, the spend counter/tracker for achieving rewards/companion certs/LP bonuses are all calendar year based. Shows that on your Barclays portal when you go into the rewards section of your account.
So you will get the short end of the stick this year, with only a partial year to hit the required amounts. But the counters reset on Jan 1 and then you are off to the races for a full year of eligible spending to meet the requirements.
Originally Posted by jsimon926
I see the tracker now. Its membership year, so May 2022 through May 2023. I guess all I have to do now it hope that they carry over the spend on my red to my silver.
If it's cardmember year, unless it's based on when you got Red, I guess that means it makes sense to hold off on upgrading to Silver until you're closer to March 1. It'd be pretty strange to have a September-to-September membership year when trying to figure out how many LPs you need for the year. Calendar year is slightly better but still strange given Jan/Feb are now tacked onto the previous year for status qualification.

Originally Posted by JC_Charlotte
I upgraded to silver this year and they did not count my spending on the red before the upgrade (I had some back and froth with them on it but got nowhere). Hope you have better luck.
Bummer. Guess I should have backloaded my spend this year, but then maybe I wouldn't have been invited to Silver since I have to think spend is a factor in who they invite.

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
They only offer upgrade to silver after 1 year of having the card right?
I got offered "early" in Aug after opening Red in Jan, though I'm a past Silver cardholder from a few years ago who canceled, so who knows.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Bayview2011
For me, they promised we’d get upgraded in just over a week. Not sure why there is a delay. The week should expire in the next day or two. Very interested to see if they will keep our YTD spend intact as that will make loyalty point bonuses a lot easier
Barclays appears to make the upgrade when your statement closes. They told me my account will be upgraded to silver today (9/7) which is also when my statement closes for the month.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by A321T
Bummer. Guess I should have backloaded my spend this year, but then maybe I wouldn't have been invited to Silver since I have to think spend is a factor in who they invite.
Don't think this is the case. I had only spent $1 (and paid the annual fee) to trigger the sign-up bonus and did not spend anything since. Was offered silver after having red for 3months-ish
Zacnlinc and 355F1 like this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 10:43 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
How many days did you guys wait to receive the Aviator Silver credit card in the mail after they converted your red account to silver?
I doubt that having the physical card matters; when I was upgraded, the new Silver card had the same account and CVC numbers and expiration date as the Red card which it replaced.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 4:31 am

Barclays appears to make the upgrade when your statement closes. They told me my account will be upgraded to silver today (9/7) which is also when my statement closes for the month.
Did your YTD spend carry over when your account got upgraded to Silver? Did the account reset with a new card anniversary date?
Old Sep 8, 2022, 6:22 am

Upgrade to silver

My silver card is apparently on its way. Same
card numbers and looks like spend etc is
same when checking online. Online interface still shows a pic of the red card though - perhaps waiting for me to confirm new card when it arrives. I’m a few $hundred short of 20k spend so will get interesting shortly.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 7:12 am

Upgrade to silver

My silver card is apparently on its way. Same
card numbers and looks like spend etc is
same when checking online. Online interface still shows a pic of the red card though - perhaps waiting for me to confirm new card when it arrives. I’m a few $hundred short of 20k spend so will get interesting shortly.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 9:16 am

I now see the new card shipping tracker in my account. All my spend information looks intact but then again my account still shows as aviator red. The rep told me it should update to show silver after I activate the new card. We will see....! Excited to finally get silver!!!!!

Everyone going for EXP as well?
Old Sep 8, 2022, 9:18 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I now see the new card shipping tracker in my account. All my spend information looks intact but then again my account still shows as aviator red. The rep told me it should update to show silver after I activate the new card. We will see....! Excited to finally get silver!!!!!

Everyone going for EXP as well?
With Silver spend and hotel bonuses I’m already at 265,000 LPs this year!

Hitting 30 flights on Monday, too!

I’m on track for 350,000 LPs by Feb 28!
apeortdz and zzrayzz like this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 9:32 am

EXP

Yes re: American EXP. Your further along than I - just got 125K loyalty points and aim to get well over 200k. Plan to get 50k + 15k with Barclaycard- good reminder about 30 segments. I’ll check that.
zzrayzz likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 8:53 am

quick question: for one who doesn't see hitting 30 segments there is no benefit of getting the the silver card, right?
Old Sep 9, 2022, 8:57 am

30 segments

Card will still help if you want to get to Plat Pro and don’t have ability to earn 125k Loyalty Points
Old Sep 9, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP , Alaska MVP100K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 355F1
With Silver spend and hotel bonuses I’m already at 265,000 LPs this year!

Hitting 30 flights on Monday, too!

I’m on track for 350,000 LPs by Feb 28!
There are going to be so many EXP with this new loyalty scheme , not sure it will even be worth much. Can essentially hit EXP with just booking some stays on AA Hotels and doing some shopping. There will be a flood of new EXP this coming year
Old Sep 10, 2022, 3:07 pm

If there's any question about spend carry-over, I got the upgrade offer and a few days after the upgrade took place (September 7th) my spend tracker changed to the following.

tudorcity, 355F1 and A321T like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.