Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

American Airlines | AAdvantage

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 17, 22, 6:49 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Dynastar
Wiki Link
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Old Aug 12, 22, 2:36 pm

Carry forward of red card spend

Great news. Assume 1 year after you got red? Will Barclaycard transfer your red card spend to your new silver card so you can get a head start of the 5K loyalty points bonuses?
apeortdz likes this.
Old Aug 12, 22, 2:58 pm

Programs: American, Alaska, United, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by EXPLAT View Post
Wife received an offer to upgrade to Silver. She accepted and the offer is now gone from her offers. The account still shows the Red Card. How long does it take for the account to show the Silver as the card? How long for the LP's to post if the required spend has already been completed?
Similar question. I downgraded my card to a no fee master card. But online is still showing the fee and the paid card. Its been several days now
Old Aug 14, 22, 1:23 pm

After going through several pages I didn't see this question so let me ask. Are there any issues with getting the sign up bonus miles for the AA Red card if you've had the card and received signup bonus miles in the past, albeit at least 3 years ago and it's been closed for that many years? Thanks for any info on this!
Old Aug 14, 22, 1:28 pm

Red card 2nd bonus

We got a second bonus on red card Was about 3 years or so. First red card we upgraded to
silver before getting rid of it. Awaiting another offer for silver. Really hoping theyll credit red card spend towards the loyalty points $20k bonus. I saw one poster advising they would likely credit it But no confirmation
Phillyasian likes this.
Old Aug 14, 22, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Phillyasian View Post
After going through several pages I didn't see this question so let me ask. Are there any issues with getting the sign up bonus miles for the AA Red card if you've had the card and received signup bonus miles in the past, albeit at least 3 years ago and it's been closed for that many years? Thanks for any info on this!
I closed my first Aviator Red in 12/20 and reapplied in April of this year (closed about 16ish months) and received the bonus no problem. The general rule with Barclays is that if you are approved again, you'll get the SUB.
Phillyasian likes this.
Old Aug 14, 22, 2:46 pm

Programs: American, Alaska, United, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Youre probably ok. I got a second bonus after two years.
Phillyasian likes this.
Old Aug 14, 22, 3:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Is there a bonus for spending $15k on aviator red this year?
Old Aug 15, 22, 6:18 am

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Bayview2011 View Post
We got a second bonus on red card Was about 3 years or so. First red card we upgraded to
silver before getting rid of it. Awaiting another offer for silver. Really hoping theyll credit red card spend towards the loyalty points $20k bonus. I saw one poster advising they would likely credit it But no confirmation
I upgraded to silver this year and they did not count my spending on the red before the upgrade (I had some back and froth with them on it but got nowhere). Hope you have better luck.
Old Aug 15, 22, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlt 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Was just offered an upgrade to silver yesterday and accepted. Received an email that my new card would be sent on Sept12th.
355F1 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 22, 3:52 pm

Silver card

Great re: silver upgrade. When you get it, let us all know if they credit your account with the number of loyalty points/spend you had with the red card. One person said they got credited and another said they didnt. Its important for AA bonus loyalty point bonuses at $20k etc Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 22, 10:17 am
HGF

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by EXPLAT View Post
Wife received an offer to upgrade to Silver. She accepted and the offer is now gone from her offers. The account still shows the Red Card. How long does it take for the account to show the Silver as the card? How long for the LP's to post if the required spend has already been completed?
Did you ever receive any sort of confirmation? I recently upgraded as well and the exact same thing happened. I'm wondering if I should call
Old Aug 16, 22, 10:51 am

Programs: American Airlines
For mine, I did not and confirmed by using the chat online.
Old Aug 16, 22, 11:04 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond

I got a 2nd signup bonus while I had a World Mastercard Aviator Red (before it switched to World Elite MC). I've also gotten it a few more times after that so you should be fine.
Old Aug 16, 22, 9:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
They only offer upgrade to silver after 1 year of having the card right?
Old Aug 17, 22, 3:13 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by zzrayzz View Post
They only offer upgrade to silver after 1 year of having the card right?
That's the earliest that they will offer it. Whether they offer it at that point is YMMV.

Search this Thread