Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by ramcm7
I hit my first spend target March 5. I hope to see 5,000 LP on 4/10/22. Perhaps that is when bonuses earned in the "Double Dip" period will also appear.
The tenth was a Sunday and I did not see the 5,000 LP bonus hit when I logged in 4/11/22. When I looked on 4/13/22, the 5,000 LP bonus was there.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:50 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
When I stopped traveling due to Covid I transferred $25k of CL from my SILVER card to my BUSINESS Aviator card.

I downgraded my SILVER card to the no-fee version in 2020.

I upgraded my no-fee card back to SILVER a couple weeks ago and tried to move that $25k CL from the BUSINESS card to the SILVER card and I was denied saying it could not be done by the BUSINESS customer service line, that had me transferred to a supervisor.

I called the PERSONAL line....and they transferred me to the credit department and they handled it.

What the heck....???

Short info: If you wanna move credit lines from BIZ to Personal with Aviator cards call the PERSONAL 1-866-928-3075 and ask to be transferred to the credit department.
EXPLAT and zzrayzz like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: American Airlines
I just got upgraded with no confirmation. I chatted and asked and was told it would be upgraded on 4/18 (the day after my statement closed). Sure enough that happened although it took a couple of days for the website to catch up.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 9:54 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Accepted an upgrade to Silver from the no-fee (.5LP/$) Aviator last month.

Letter states today my account will be a Silver account so I put off about $15k in purchases til today.

Online account still shows Aviator no-fee so I called to verify. Spent 37 minutes with 2 reps and got absolutely no answer to my question of if my account is now a Silver Card.

So....yeah.....I made the purchases this morning....and since I have a letter in writing that states beginning on April 22, 2022 your account will be upgraded to Silver and you can start using the following Silver benefits.....If next month's statement posts without the proper 1LP/$ I will escalate a complaint.

Just wanted to post this in case anyone has the same issue.

Last edited by 355F1; Apr 23, 2022 at 8:09 am
Old Apr 22, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Data Point for reapplying for second SUB: Opened a Aviator Red in Jan of 2018 and closed it in December of 2020. Just reapplied (16 months after closing) for the 50k bonus/$0 AF for the first year and was instantly approved. Will update when I get my bonus but there is a bonus tracker in my online account.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 2:29 am

Programs: American Airlines - Executive Platinum / Marriott - Ambassador
Originally Posted by Stockjock
I didn't find a credit card upgrade offer, but I did find a triple miles promo for grocery store purchases, which I accepted.
I also accepted the triple miles for dining and grocery stores, but just got my recent statement and they did not give me the triple miles! This happen to anyone else?
Old Apr 23, 2022, 9:42 am

been this way for years. And it is disclosed when u upgraded.

Originally Posted by 355F1
IDK if this has been mentioned but in case it hasn't I will rant here.

I had an offer in my Barclay profile to upgrade to the Silver, which I accepted on March 27th.

I have used the BIZ Aviator card every year to get $3k EQDs for $25k in spend but since that is gone I have no need for this anymore. I figured switching my personal no-fee Aviator to Silver would let me get some extra LPs with $20 or $40k in spend.

After I accepted the offer it said I would get the Silver card in the mail in 7-10 business days, which was fine as I was planning on spending $30k on it next week on Tax Day.

2 weeks later....I still don't have a card and call in to figure out where the card is.

I learned that the new Silver card AND the benefits do not start until your next statement date, which would be April 21st in my case.

So yeah...I wanted to simply warn people that if you upgrade your card you will NOT get the new card sent out until your NEXT STATEMENT DATE.

2 thumbs down for Barclays.

Should we add this info to the Wiki?
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are too many posts to wade through. Has anyone had them refuse to honor the first year free of annual fees? I gave a friend of mine the application (I already had the card) back when they passing out 60k miles with no annual fee. She told me yesterday that she has been fighting with them for months as they won't post the 60k miles unless she pays a $99 annual fee. She still has the application (I think she applied online or over the phone) that says no annual fee for the first year and had given them the promo code on the application but they are not budging. She has used the card a few times and is pretty pissed that they aren't honoring the application.
Any suggestions or experiences with this?
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by corky;[url=tel:34199461
34199461[/url]]There are too many posts to wade through. Has anyone had them refuse to honor the first year free of annual fees? I gave a friend of mine the application (I already had the card) back when they passing out 60k miles with no annual fee. She told me yesterday that she has been fighting with them for months as they won't post the 60k miles unless she pays a $99 annual fee. She still has the application (I think she applied online or over the phone) that says no annual fee for the first year and had given them the promo code on the application but they are not budging. She has used the card a few times and is pretty pissed that they aren't honoring the application.
When they say it’s a limited time offer it is true. I think they change the offer specifics monthly, so if you respond to the app you took from the plane a couple weeks earlier, the offer may have changed. If she applied online, Barclays would likely have confirmed the terms of the offer in some fashion before she submitted. I know when I tried to apply for the 60k miles/ waived AF/ free companion cert, the companion cert offer had been dropped by the time I applied after my flight.
corky likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG GLD, Starbucks (SBUX) Super Duper Executive Gold Global Priority Platinum Prestige
Originally Posted by corky
There are too many posts to wade through. Has anyone had them refuse to honor the first year free of annual fees? I gave a friend of mine the application (I already had the card) back when they passing out 60k miles with no annual fee. She told me yesterday that she has been fighting with them for months as they won't post the 60k miles unless she pays a $99 annual fee. She still has the application (I think she applied online or over the phone) that says no annual fee for the first year and had given them the promo code on the application but they are not budging. She has used the card a few times and is pretty pissed that they aren't honoring the application.
Methinks your friend’s application wasn’t tied to the right promo correctly or she didn’t follow the right steps. There are two offers I’ve seen. One is pay annual fee and make a first purchase BOTH within the first 90 days. Second offer is make a first purchase within 90 days and annual fee is waived. If Barclays is saying she has an annual fee, sounds like she got the first offer
Old Apr 26, 2022, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sudden729
Methinks your friend’s application wasn’t tied to the right promo correctly or she didn’t follow the right steps. There are two offers I’ve seen. One is pay annual fee and make a first purchase BOTH within the first 90 days. Second offer is make a first purchase within 90 days and annual fee is waived. If Barclays is saying she has an annual fee, sounds like she got the first offer
I am the one who gave her the application as I got it on a flight and didn't need it. I already got the offer for myself. I would think the promo code on the application referred to the no fee offer.. The application I gave her was for sure the good one.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 3:11 pm

I am wondering if anyone recently upgraded from red to silver without an offer showing up in the account. I hold the red card for about half a year and based on the old terms (>90 days), it seems like eligible to upgrade (and confirmed by the customer care representative). But the customer service doesn't know how to do with out the access/click of the upgrade offer. Is there a manual override in this case, or potentially ask AA/Barclay to add this offer on my account? Thanks
Old May 4, 2022, 7:31 am

Just accepted an upgrade offer to the Silver (which showed up almost exactly 1 year after opening the Red, FWIW) and I have a question on the companion certificates. Is there a good guide anywhere on how they work? Like, I know they're only good in economy, but I think I've read they also need certain fare codes or whatever, so I just want to make sure I fully understand them. Even ignoring the other benefits (which aren't super relevant for me, other than getting the bonus LP from spend), 2 companion certs for $399 (AF+$99 each) seems like at least a decent value, given my travel patterns (i.e., a lot of travel with my wife ).
vasantn likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by LlamaJesus
Is there a good guide anywhere on how they work? Like, I know they're only good in economy, but I think I've read they also need certain fare codes or whatever, so I just want to make sure I fully understand them.
Here's a good start... Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Silver Card - Companion Certificate
Old May 4, 2022, 9:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by LlamaJesus
Just accepted an upgrade offer to the Silver (which showed up almost exactly 1 year after opening the Red, FWIW) and I have a question on the companion certificates. Is there a good guide anywhere on how they work? Like, I know they're only good in economy, but I think I've read they also need certain fare codes or whatever, so I just want to make sure I fully understand them. Even ignoring the other benefits (which aren't super relevant for me, other than getting the bonus LP from spend), 2 companion certs for $399 (AF+$99 each) seems like at least a decent value, given my travel patterns (i.e., a lot of travel with my wife ).
When you are awarded the Companion Cert, there is a 2 or 3 paragraph detail fine print at the bottom of the cert.

You have to call in to AA Meeting Services (or some strange department like that) to book the tickets - as they are responsible for administering this Companion Cert program. It USED to be that you had to mail in the actual cert to AA that Barclays had mailed to you, but now the certs are viewable on your AA account online - I think you don't have to mail the physical cert in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.